JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How will the price of gas at the pump effect your SHTF plans?

• It won't - I'm probably staying in place

Votes: 36 63.2%
  • A little, but I don't have too far to travel

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • It'll put a good-sized dent in my plans

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I'm screwed if we hit $10 per gallon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Burrrrrrp* uhhhhh... What were we talkin' about again?

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters
Don't worry folks, the financial collapse we are in should bring fuel prices back down to $2 a gallon in no time. If the repo man snagged your rig and you are sitting at home eating ramen noodles, not much reason to buy fuel. Ignore the continued rush hour traffic, it is likely Canadians passing through to Mexico.
They got everyone used to being home with covid tyranny, soon the money will be gone too with inflation.

Chevron gas comes from the same refinery/storage tanks that Costco gas comes from.
As a young man I worked in a gas station pumping gas on the night shift. Guy that drove the double tanker truck would leave a message for the owner after ever deliver that went like this.

I brought too much regular so I put the rest in the premium tank along with the premium gas I brought.

I like being home. I pushed for working from home for years - then after a couple months of it, they laid me off and I retired.

If I never had to go into town for groceries/etc., I would be even happier.
After traveling for years I love being home too, got a lot done today that I love doing. Did have to grocery shop today but didn't take long.

If you do that and do not refill them, then it is a false economy. When you need that fuel because rationing has started, you will wish you had it. BTDT.
I don't like to be without some emergency gasoline on hand. So any old fuel I use would be replaced, but maybe not immediately. I don't like to "buy high" and history has previously demonstrated that unusually high prices tend to subside. I may not even get out to my storage building and get the cans out, I've got enough on my plate as it is.

Doesn't that stuff need to be stabilized or something after awhile? You can't just keep it so long, right?
Contemporary fuel out of the gas pump already contains some pretty good stabilizers. Much better than earlier times, even ten years ago. It's difficult to generalize because there are a number of refiners, and each of these makes different blends that are called for by their wholesale customers. I've owned lots of vehicles, as many as 20-something at a time, obviously they couldn't all be driven timely. So I have some experience of bad gasoline, the kind that no question it's bad due to the off smell and color. But I haven't experienced any of that in gasoline that I've stored within the past ten years or so.

Modern gasoline contains some lesser percentage of ethanol, a form of alcohol that has water in it. This can be a problem for some engines. I won't run any fuel containing ethanol in any of my small engine equipment. Gas from the pump as I might buy for a car isn't as kind to the carburetion systems in small equipment. There is one station in Everett that sells non-ethanol gasoline, it carries a premium but that's all I buy for the small things.

I still have one old car, a 1972 Ford Ranch Wagon with carburetion. I would burn any questionable gasoline in it, it's not as fussy about fuel quality. But I think the carb. power valve doesn't last as long on modern fuels that contain ethanol.

I've used Sta-Bil before in my emergency generator, but I can't say if it did any good. The generator started no problem with or without it, over time. But again i say, I burn non-ethanol fuel in it, that may make more difference than the Sta-Bil.

When you think about the price of a barrel of oil, think of it relative to a barrel of diet coke. The Diet Coke does have caffeine but the amount of energy in the barrel of oil will provide far more energy and for a lower price.

My thoughts on this over the years have changed a lot so this is my current view,

Well I am in my mid 60s and both of my knees are shot, my health is not too bad as the last couple years I started to get in a little better shape than I was but now your wondering what that has to do with gas prices.

Its like this when I was younger the thought of marching mile upon mile to get to a defendable position was a no brainer, easy to do.

Now I look at the fact my Jeep will get me so far then when the gas runs out, back up cans included then I am on foot and with my knees that scares me more than facing an enemy head on.

So I will stay in place and fight and maybe slow down what ever is coming so others can get away safely. No I am not a hero just a realist and do not want to slow down my boys and there families from getting to safety as I am on the down side of my life and they have a ways to go with theirs and maybe they could make the world a better place.

So I do not care about fuel prices and I will stay in place.

If the repo man snagged your rig and you are sitting at home eating ramen noodles
OK, but *HEY* if you are eating Ramen Noodles, THESE are the ones to GET:

Tapatio.jpg

Almost hate to mention it, cuz Wal-mart is sold out of these most times I go. But: TO. DIE. FOR.

My thoughts on this over the years have changed a lot so this is my current view,

Well I am in my mid 60s and both of my knees are shot, my health is not too bad as the last couple years I started to get in a little better shape than I was but now your wondering what that has to do with gas prices.

Its like this when I was younger the thought of marching mile upon mile to get to a defendable position was a no brainer, easy to do.

Now I look at the fact my Jeep will get me so far then when the gas runs out, back up cans included then I am on foot and with my knees that scares me more than facing an enemy head on.

So I will stay in place and fight and maybe slow down what ever is coming so others can get away safely. No I am not a hero just a realist and do not want to slow down my boys and there families from getting to safety as I am on the down side of my life and they have a ways to go with theirs and maybe they could make the world a better place.

So I do not care about fuel prices and I will stay in place.
This more or less ^^ except it isn't my knees (although they and my feet would not get too much further if my back didn't give out. Walking, especially up or down an incline, kills my back. Walking up my private road to take the garbage out to the can once a week, causes me to be winded. I would not make it more than a mile up or down the mountain, and on level ground I probably would not make it more than 2-3 miles, certainly no more than five - less if I had to carry something.

Law will call it petty theft and never prosecute, just like the kali stores being robbed. As this crap moves to the suburbs folks are going to wake up to empty tanks. Stations won't operate at a loss so where will folks go for gas?

Another move to force folks into EV.

I use Stabilize in my gas cans and I don't drain the gas from my lawn mower or 4 cycle string trimmer. It takes 2 or 3 pulls to start my lawn mower. I started last week to mow my lawn. My trimmer takes a bit more since has fuel bulb that has push fuel into the carburetor.

I use synthetic oil in all my garden tools as well.

+Regarding the OP.

How Will The Price Of Gas At The Pump Effect Your SHTF Plans?

• It won't - I'm probably staying in place
  • A little, but I don't have too far to travel
  • It'll put a good-sized dent in my plans
  • I'm screwed if we hit $10 per gallon

Not really applicable to me. My answer would be that it depends on how the SHTF occurs.

Earthquake, stay put.

War: heading out.

EMP and all electricity including gas pumps are shut down, walking to BOL. Wife and I bought a 2nd home in a game rich area where we can walk (or bike). On weekend retreats we often forage and eat strange things that are plentiful there. 5-9 days walk, 3-4 day bike. Gas doesn't affect my plans although getting to work from either location would suck, but it's doable if there is still gas and it's under $12 a gallon. I have emergency stock of 15 gallons at each location and drive a hybrid that will get me there and back to carry more stuff if the car still works. In a collapse, I'm more worried over 2 legged predators seeing me as an easy mark.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top