JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I lived in Alaska, I always had a chit-ton of canned deer and moose. Since I've been down here, between my remote job and not knowing the area, I haven't had a chance to go hunting. I need to feed my neighbor more homebrew and get him to show me the ropes on where to find elk.

Why not? They managed to get Prince Albert in a can.
17799466_0.png

Can your own. Hamburger or steak. Then you know what's in it. Bacon, pork, chicken breast and thighs, seasoned hamburger, soups, chili, got a supply of all of it, canned by us. Just finishing some chicken thighs and also some sausage right now. It does take some time but it is worth it in the end. Easy to store and doesn't need electricity. Eat it out of the jar or use it to make your favorite recipe.

Can your own. Hamburger or steak. Then you know what's in it. Bacon, pork, chicken breast and thighs, seasoned hamburger, soups, chili, got a supply of all of it, canned by us. Just finishing some chicken thighs and also some sausage right now. It does take some time but it is worth it in the end. Easy to store and doesn't need electricity. Eat it out of the jar or use it to make your favorite recipe.
My idea of prepping is I have firewood, water, survival packs and various store bought canned foods. I'm basically a goner once the meds run out anyway, so I should probably fill the rest of the storage out with liquor. :D

Re. the canned corned beef from So. America (in the weirdly shaped cans) and the canned beef or corned beef hash. As mentioned previously, all very salty. Worse, very fatty. In an emergency, you don't need to get jippy tummy on top of everything else. Might be a better thing to stock up on canned tuna and salmon, easier on the digestive tract. Canned fish is salted, but not so much as beef. Heck, most canned vegetables contain plenty of salt.

At a garage sale one time, I was given a can of the beef people get at some food banks. Surplus USDA, I guess. Plain label. It was in chunks, very tasty I have to say but high fat content.

The canned so-called roast beef in gravy, I've yet to taste any that I've liked. Some of it comes from eastern Europe, some canned here. The pictures on the labels never live up to what's in the can in appearance or taste.

Canned chicken, which we used to call boned chicken, is probably better for you than the canned beef products. It can vary in quality. Shop the brands and try one of each. I've had some Hormel's that was very good; some others were barely edible. Boned chicken was one of my favorite C rat menus.

Dried beef products, much better for you than canned. Unless you dry your own, the commercial product you buy is salty and usually contains other chemicals. The dried beef in the little glasses has almost zero fat but is highly salted. I have one recipe that I use it in, calls for soaking in plain water to remove the salt. It's expensive and wouldn't feed many mouths in an emergency.

After reading about the detective ladies in Botswana, by coincidence I had a chance to buy some ostrich biltong. It wasn't to my taste. It was pretty dry and hard.

Dinty Moore's beef stew. I used to like it when I was camping in the desert as a teenager. Last time I tried it, I couldn't eat much. Products sometimes change over the years; or maybe my palette. Origin of the name: Dinty Moore's was a famous eatery in NYC and their signature dish was a style of stew. Some time along the way, Hormel's bought the trademark name.

I'm basically a goner once the meds run out anyway,
This is me. When I see threads here about hitting the trail during a SHTF situation, I think, "I don't even have hiking boots anymore." Why hike out to some survival nest only to run out of meds? I might as well be comfy and eliminate the hike. I have a bad left foot anyway, I'd never make it to my destination even if there was a pile of meds at the end of the trail.

Have you seen a McDonalds kitchen before? Bunch of 15 year olds with can openers. You're lucky if they remember to give it a whirl in the microzapper before they pop the lid and throw it in a box for you.
Most of the burger joints in my area have gone down the toilet, the only place that is halfway decent now imo is Kidd Valley and the area is becoming inundated with prostitutes so I don't go to that area that often anyway...

recently bought half a beef, at $4.00 per pound hanging weight and all fees included I couldn't pass it up. got it from an old school friend in Powell Butte.

Re beef
I couldn't help but think of this one ... my father-in-law, who is a burger connoisseur, had a canned cheeseburger whilst in Europe and recommended against it. (His words were "worse than horse meat". Since both me and him have consumed said during our lifetimes, yuck faces were made.)
I had the horsemeat steak at the Harvard Faculty Club regularly when I was a grad student there. It was really delicious. It tasted much like beef but with a richer flavor than standard modern beef. It came from a specialized supplier of horse meat. I liked it better than any of the beef on the menu. But the flavor was so similar to beef I wouldn't have known it wasn't beef if it wasn't listed as horse. The horse steak became popular at the faculty club during and after WWII when meat was rationed, and was so popular and was such a tradition that it was retained until the 80s when the sole supplier's huge truck could no longer reach Harvard because of changes in the roads.

Flavor and culinary quality of horse as well as cattle meat undoubtedly depends on many factors, including age of the animal, what its been eating, condition of animal; whether the animal is fat enough for meat to be juicy, whether the animal was stressed before killing, whether or how meat was aged and what the cut is. Young animals are generally mild flavored compared with old. Commercial beef is butchered on the young side. Usually before 18 months. That's great for tenderness, but it's hard to get much beefy flavor that way. One reason hamburger usually tastes so good is that a certain portion is from old dairy and beef cows which provide flavor. And plenty of fat is ground in.

Nope. Beef is too expensive per calorie and gram of protein. I rarely eat it at all, certainly not a canned variety.

Re beef

I had the horsemeat steak at the Harvard Faculty Club regularly when I was a grad student there. It was really delicious. It tasted much like beef but with a richer flavor than standard modern beef. It came from a specialized supplier of horse meat. I liked it better than any of the beef on the menu. But the flavor was so similar to beef I wouldn't have known it wasn't beef if it wasn't listed as horse. The horse steak became popular at the faculty club during and after WWII when meat was rationed, and was so popular and was such a tradition that it was retained until the 80s when the sole supplier's huge truck could no longer reach Harvard because of changes in the roads.

Flavor and culinary quality of horse as well as cattle meat undoubtedly depends on many factors, including age of the animal, what its been eating, condition of animal; whether the animal is fat enough for meat to be juicy, whether the animal was stressed before killing, whether or how meat was aged and what the cut is. Young animals are generally mild flavored compared with old. Commercial beef is butchered on the young side. Usually before 18 months. That's great for tenderness, but it's hard to get much beefy flavor that way. One reason hamburger usually tastes so good is that a certain portion is from old dairy and beef cows which provide flavor. And plenty of fat is ground in.
Fat is good. I was watching Alone on antenna TV the other day and one guy was literally starving to death even though he had been eating tremendous amounts of the musk ox and wolverine he had killed. Something had stolen his bucket of rendered fat from a 7' high open platform he had built to prevent same. What a dope!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top