JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As you all know, I am single/divorced. So as of this point in time, I don't have issues with a SO or anybody else saying anything about how much or where or what I spend $ on. That said, I would not be opposed to partnering with a member of the fairer sex, but when it comes to my current and future assets (real estate, IRAs and personal belongings) those will be in a trust and will go to my daughter.

My daughter may not be able to work until retirement age, and is not currently able to save for her retirement. My own expected lifetime is about another 10-15 years.

If I ever do have a SO again, we will have separate accounts/assets and separate expenses. I am approaching 70 and I see no valid reason that a future SO should get a major share of the assets I have worked so hard for over the past 50+ years and sacrificed for so my daughter will have them when I am go
Just my opinion. You can have a Significant Other, just don't get married. And you can protect all your assets for you and daughter. At this point in your life, you don' have to get marry just to have a partner, friend, and companionship. Getting married at 70, is a trap. The SO is more concerned of your financial situation than you. If you were broke, would she marry you?

Just my opinion. You can have a Significant Other, just don't get married. And you can protect all your assets for you and daughter. At this point in your life, you don' have to get marry just to have a partner, friend, and companionship. Getting married at 70, is a trap. The SO is more concerned of your financial situation than you. If you were broke, would she marry you?
All true, and I do not plan to get married again.

However, some states have common-law marriages. Orygun does not.

Just the same, all of my assets will be in a trust with my daughter as the sole beneficiary, and I will make it very clear to any future SO that this is the case.

My wife always lets me buy any gun i want. She knows I do not go crazy and when I buy a gun it is because I am getting a good deal on it and will make money on it when I sell it. I have all the guns I want, I do pretty good with the gun buy/sell game, and have a wad of cash in my gun safe that keeps growing. if she wants some money for something, I just get into the safe and get her some. She loves her left hand Noveski that I bought her, without asking, and her 10/22 with the custom blue laminate stock. She bought me an HK 45 compact for my birthday, we went out shooting a couple of weeks later, I let her shoot it and didn't get it back for about 25 years. She is an amazing cook, we are still on our honeymoon, we have never met anyone who doesn't love her.
I am the luckiest man on this planet

1673215799652.png

Technically theres no need to even get married. I suspect relationships would become stronger knowing the other has no legal ties.

I say that I'm married, we've been together for 12 years now but never tied the knot. She hasn't worked in a decade, I hold two jobs.

If I buy a gun then I buy a gun, I don't ask permission.

Married over 41 years, combined accounts immediately. Both of us worked except for a four year stretch when she stayed home when our 3 boys were young. Both of us are frugal, paid off our house with my inheritance 15 years ago, debt free ever since. If either of us really wants something, (koi pond, fishing boats and upcoming trip to Israel for her, guns, reloading components and out of state hunting tags for me) we get it. Years ago she even had my FFL buddy order me a Ruger Redhawk for Christmas for me. The only thing we have separate are our retirement accounts, and we are each other's beneficiary on those. If you married the right person, it works out great.

She smoked for 50 years. I never have. Mostly I bought SKS & Mosins when they were cheap and used them for trade fodder. My iron and wood is worth more than her nicotine ashes. PAX

These kinds of threads are always informative. We have quite the wide assortment of folks here, all kinds of life experiences, backgrounds, values, perspectives, and interests.

Whether marriage is really necessary or not is a personal thing. For me it is, and was the best thing I ever did. I also waited and chose carefully. The D-word doesn't exist in our universe. It was a big deal when we tied the knot, and it's for life, for us. That's just us- no judgement or anything towards anyone else.

She doesn't "let me" do anything, nor do I "let her" do anything. We share everything and our shared priority in life is our family; she knows I would never spend family money on toys, nor would she. It would be nice if her health would allow her to have an income. Life would be much easier for us with two incomes and no medical bills. Oh well, you play the hand you're dealt, and all in all we still have it pretty good. If I wanted another gun, I'd buy it, but I really don't need or even want anything more at this time.

When we both worked we kept separate finances, I never asked about shoes, she never asked about guns. Now that we're retired, we have an arbitrary $350 figure where we check in before pulling the trigger. So far, she has me beat on check-before purchases, lol.

I'll probably buy one more before permit to purchase takes effect.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top