JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In all honesty my home defense gun is the same gun I carry everyday. More importantly know the layout of your home. Where your kids sleep. Angles. Over penetration through walls and who may be effected or on the other side. Practice moving through your house/apartment. My house is 1600 square feet. Single level. I don't have a staircase for a height advantage but I can move quickly through my house and close distance before entry is made. Harden your residence. Door jams, windows, garage doors, size 13 boots on the door step, etc.

Be a hard target and force the perps to move on to the next house.

Buy a dog.
And this is where I jump in with more "know what you know" reality. I am not going to say anyone is wrong about their defensive gun choices, but I will make sure you understand your actual rational for making that choice.

Things like over penetration are a real concern if you have other people in the same structure. Knowing how much your defensive arm of choice penetrates standard structures is a very pertinent point of data. There is empirical data that shows that the platform that has the best compromise of "stopping power" (for lack of a better term) and low penetration in standard building material is the intermediate power rifle cartridge with a properly selected expanding or fragmenting bullet.

For example a .223 rifle loaded with some of Hornady's or Winchester's various polymer tipped projectiles penetrates walls less than 9mm or even #00 buckshot while still delivering superb terminal effects in gel tests. Small and fast projectiles have a tendency to dump all their energy in the first thing they hit. If that is a bad guy, well sucks to be them. If that is a wall, then stuff behind it is going to be mostly safe.

If you have family/neighbors I highly recommend you check out some of the various wall penetration tests out there and see if getting a nice intermediate power rifle like an AR-15 as your primary home defense arm. The platform has tons of advantages over more "traditional" style defensive arm like the 12 gauge or the nightstand pistol. There may indeed be other reason why such a platform is not right for you, but it would be worth exploring in detail why that is so you can understand those reason in detail.

And remember, every time a spouse, family member, or male gun counter worker recommends a small revolver to a new female (or any gender for that matter) shooter without them shooting it first, some small child loses a balloon on their birthday. 😪
Facts.

1000002101.jpg

And this is where I jump in with more "know what you know" reality. I am not going to say anyone is wrong about their defensive gun choices, but I will make sure you understand your actual rational for making that choice.

Things like over penetration are a real concern if you have other people in the same structure. Knowing how much your defensive arm of choice penetrates standard structures is a very pertinent point of data. There is empirical data that shows that the platform that has the best compromise of "stopping power" (for lack of a better term) and low penetration in standard building material is the intermediate power rifle cartridge with a properly selected expanding or fragmenting bullet.

For example a .223 rifle loaded with some of Hornady's or Winchester's various polymer tipped projectiles penetrates walls less than 9mm or even #00 buckshot while still delivering superb terminal effects in gel tests. Small and fast projectiles have a tendency to dump all their energy in the first thing they hit. If that is a bad guy, well sucks to be them. If that is a wall, then stuff behind it is going to be mostly safe.

If you have family/neighbors I highly recommend you check out some of the various wall penetration tests out there and see if getting a nice intermediate power rifle like an AR-15 as your primary home defense arm. The platform has tons of advantages over more "traditional" style defensive arm like the 12 gauge or the nightstand pistol. There may indeed be other reason why such a platform is not right for you, but it would be worth exploring in detail why that is so you can understand those reason in detail.
All very good points, which I should know since I just said all of that a few pages back. :D

A friends wife has a snub nosed.38 spl revolver with a shrouded hammer.
She hides it inside a large package of maxi pads inside the master bathroom sink cabinet, along with all the other women's stuff.
Her thinking is that if a dude breaks into their home, the last thing he would steal would be feminine hygiene products.
The added benefit is that she could shoot it while still inside the plastic bag of pads, which should reduce the overall noise.

She hides it inside a large package of maxi pads inside the master bathroom sink cabinet, along with all the other women's stuff.
Her thinking is that if a dude breaks into their home, the last thing he would steal would be feminine hygiene products.
The added benefit is that she could shoot it while still inside the plastic bag of pads, which should reduce the overall noise.
Unless he brings a woman with him. 🤷‍♀️ They do that sometimes.

My opine on best gun for the home where others, not interested in firearms, may have an emergency need for it, would be a revolver. Everybody and anybody with reasonable finger strength can pick up and fire a revolver. No knowledge of safeties, magazines, racking or else is needed, just pick it up, point, and pull the trigger. My wife has shot a few of my guns, has her own, primarily to please me, but after 40 years still forgets the safety or what to do (magazine and racking wise) the few time she goes shooting with me over the years.
Another benefit of a revolver, if you pick a heavy trigger one that has no exposed hammer, If small children be around, most young-uns absolutely cannot pull a 12 pound trigger even with two fingers should they accidently find access to it.
Even without the adrenalin flowing, I have seen supposedly macho kings forget the safety on the first pull at the range.,

That is some good advice. And I totally agree. A revolver would be better for at close range and pistol whiping, should it come to that. More reliable with big HP rounds as well.

No opinion on the safe other than not being a big fan of biometric. I spent my career in the high tech world, mostly dealing with customer issues. Biometric, especially finger prints on cheap readers, were always huge csat drivers.

My wife and I just took over teaching a women's specific series of classes. One of the things that drives us absolutely crazy are the ladies who show up with tiny handguns - almost always revolvers. They're normally talked into buying something small by sales people or their husbands because they're light and easy to handle…right up until they have to pull the trigger. We normally try to talk them into using one of our loaner full-sized Glocks or M&Ps, then have them try their micro pistols at the end of the day.

For purely home defense scenarios, I'd lean toward a 9mm PCC. Even unsupressed, they're generally a bit easier on the ears than a pistol. I've fired or been around way too many .223 rounds indoors and the permanent tinnitus sucks, even after using doubled up ear protection 99% of the time. The muzzle flash and concussion of a .223 AR pistol would be close to incapacitating with no ear protection.

For concealed carry, unless your wife is stronger than average, something in the G19 range is as small as I'd suggest. My wife carries a Hellcat daily, but she's very physically fit and has more experience than most.

Good info, thanks! Agree on the snub noses as well.

So... how did you find it? Inquiring minds want to know. :s0153:

A dog will deter a large percentage of would be burglars. A big dog for maximum effectiveness.

German shepherds are walking security alarms.
Anything to make "your stuff" look less attractive than "other peoples stuff" is always a good thing. Scum who steal are normally looking for the low hanging fruit. Few want to get bit by a large dog. Even the little ankle bitters make dandy alarms since they seem to be able to hear so much better than us. Wife's hearing is going and its nice to know at night when I am at work the fur alarms will wake her up to things she may not hear. :D

Anything to make "your stuff" look less attractive than "other peoples stuff" is always a good thing. Scum who steal are normally looking for the low hanging fruit. Few want to get bit by a large dog. Even the little ankle bitters make dandy alarms since they seem to be able to hear so much better than us. Wife's hearing is going and its nice to know at night when I am at work the fur alarms will wake her up to things she may not hear. :D
Some little dogs are more than just alarms. A neighbor of mine who owned a miniature dachshund came home to find window jimmied and open several inches and blood all over windowsill. Dachshund was not wounded. Bad guy apparently changed his mind and did not enter house.

Last Edited:
Some little dogs are more than just alarms. A neighbor of mine who owned a miniature dachshund came home to find window jimmied and open several inches and blood all over windowsill. Dachshund was not wounded. Bad guy apparently changed his mind and did not enter house.
Hope the dog got a good treat, they deserved it! :D
When I was a kid there was a family up this way came home to find dog choking on something they could not see or get the dog help. Vet finds dog had a human finger stuck in its throat. Police come to house to find some VERY unlucky guy had broken in. He was hiding in a closet and had bled out to the point he was almost dead. Hopefully when he got out of hospital he decided on a new career choice. :s0140:

I'd do a biometric safe, but I'd sift through the reviews. There are so many these days.. and some are total junk. I'm not sure I'd suggest a key lock safe as the key can be lost and under stress opening a safe with a key may be a massive struggle.

My firearm suggestions would be: 1911's and 92FS pistols. They are both are highly accurate, even if they seem a little large for her hands. Every person I've taken out shooting, shoots very well with those two pistols. Very well.

And the 1911's now are so affordable, it would also be easy to get one in 9 or 45.

Of course I'm only going off those suggestions due to the high level of accuracy and ease of use they both offer. As I mentioned before, everyone no matter how new shoots very well, and if it's home defense, the last thing I'd do if provide a super tiny sub compact that she'd have to fiddle with if anything jammed up. Bigger is better for motor skills under stress (IMO) when it comes to pistols. I'd certainly get a full sized as long as the slide spring resistance on the 1911 isn't too much for her. Which it shouldn't be.

I know it sounds over the top, but if you have kids in the home, I'd honestly suggest doing a home invasion walk through with her so she has an idea of what to do and a plan.. everyone thinks they can just wing it but it's much better to at least have a plan of action such as gathering the kids and getting to a room where she can mount a defense. When your spouse understands the risk of round over penetration, they can start to appreciate shot placement risk and the need to be aware of the children's locations god forbid anything like a home invasion occurs.

Most may say shotguns or rifles and I get that for penetration risk.. but if she is opposed to those, a 1911 could be the way to go. Big controls, highly accurate and sure it's heavy but she isn't carrying it and it's got enough rounds to stop a threat in the home. Especially if you keep a spare mag with it.

Just my .02 I'm sure many may say Glock 19 or something super small perhaps even a revolver.. but most I've taken out that shoot a snub nose cannot hit anything unless they are belly to belly with a target.. the goal would be to prevent any would be attacker from getting that close.
I could see the m9 / 92 but a 1911 for home defense seems a little iffy. Especially for a woman or someone not well versed in firearms.

Single stack with low round capacity, single action so must carry cocked and locked on a very crisp light trigger, or must either rack slide or cock hammer to get ready to rock.

I'd never leave a 1911 for the wife and she's well trained.

AR15 or PCC is what the wifes main home gun is when im gone. Double stack reliable handgun for her Secondary.

I could see the m9 / 92 but a 1911 for home defense seems a little iffy. Especially for a woman or someone not well versed in firearms.

Single stack with low round capacity, single action so must carry cocked and locked on a very crisp light trigger, or must either rack slide or cock hammer to get ready to rock.

AR15 or PCC is what the wifes main home gun is when im gone. Double stack reliable handgun for her Secondary.
My S.O. carries a Sig X-Ten, she's a bruiser ;)

AR's and PCC's are quite a bit heavier if full sized (for some Mrs') but I hear what you're saying. I only mention the 1911 as it's a naturally accurate and fairly easy pistol to operate despite the limited capacity and agreed upon touchy trigger.

Ultimately I'd think the M9/92 would be a solid option.

Y'all are entitled to your opinions, but my wife shoots her 1911 much better than her Glock 43 and I guarantee you it's because of that trigger. Too bad it's too big for her to pack.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top