JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello folks, I could use some help with your opinions on a few things:

1) What safes/lock boxes are good for bedroom/hallway quick access, and ideally able to carry small carbine (but not required). I already have a decent sized big safe bolted to the concrete, so not looking for that. I am looking for at least 1 or 2 to install in bedrooms/hallways, ideally hidden. Logistically I have 3 kids under 6, and my wife. Neighbor kids are often here too. Bedrooms are on a second story of a house with a good line of sight outside (max 100 yards). The intent on the safes is for a good spot to dump my CC when entering/leaving the house, and for at least 1 or 2 locations for my wife to know where dedicated home defense guns are. She is a stay at home mom. I had a wall safe at my last house, but did not like that the keypad made audable beeps everytime you pressed a button. I would like the price to be reasonable, the ability to mount to the wall/studs, and I am not afraid of demo work if needed.

-2) I may have the greenlight to get a new gun or two to for the wife. She could care less about guns, but after a recent incident where I had to grab my rifle to keep us safe, she is seeing the value in quick access guns, and has come to me asking for safes/range practice/gun handeling.
Do you have any opinions on good home defense guns that could also fit in a wallsafe? She is about 5'-10" 185lbs, and more than capable of physically being able to fire any gun I own or could own. She is fairly sensory "avoidant" however, and I bet something like a pistol length AR would be far too loud of a report at close range in a hallway. I do reload and cast my own bullets, so every possible caliber is up for consideration. The simpler/less buttons the better, softer/lower recoil the better, and the softer/less sharp of a report the better. Bonus points if it can tag targets out to 100 yards, is semi auto, and can have a light or red dot. Kids bedrooms are close to ours, but we have about 80 feet between us and neighbors houses.

Last Edited:
I'd do a biometric safe, but I'd sift through the reviews. There are so many these days.. and some are total junk. I'm not sure I'd suggest a key lock safe as the key can be lost and under stress opening a safe with a key may be a massive struggle.

My firearm suggestions would be: 1911's and 92FS pistols. They are both are highly accurate, even if they seem a little large for her hands. Every person I've taken out shooting, shoots very well with those two pistols. Very well.

And the 1911's now are so affordable, it would also be easy to get one in 9 or 45.

Of course I'm only going off those suggestions due to the high level of accuracy and ease of use they both offer. As I mentioned before, everyone no matter how new shoots very well, and if it's home defense, the last thing I'd do if provide a super tiny sub compact that she'd have to fiddle with if anything jammed up. Bigger is better for motor skills under stress (IMO) when it comes to pistols. I'd certainly get a full sized as long as the slide spring resistance on the 1911 isn't too much for her. Which it shouldn't be.

I know it sounds over the top, but if you have kids in the home, I'd honestly suggest doing a home invasion walk through with her so she has an idea of what to do and a plan.. everyone thinks they can just wing it but it's much better to at least have a plan of action such as gathering the kids and getting to a room where she can mount a defense. When your spouse understands the risk of round over penetration, they can start to appreciate shot placement risk and the need to be aware of the children's locations god forbid anything like a home invasion occurs.

Most may say shotguns or rifles and I get that for penetration risk.. but if she is opposed to those, a 1911 could be the way to go. Big controls, highly accurate and sure it's heavy but she isn't carrying it and it's got enough rounds to stop a threat in the home. Especially if you keep a spare mag with it.

Just my .02 I'm sure many may say Glock 19 or something super small perhaps even a revolver.. but most I've taken out that shoot a snub nose cannot hit anything unless they are belly to belly with a target.. the goal would be to prevent any would be attacker from getting that close.

For home defense I always say a pump 12 or 20ga with #7 shot, shouldn't go through walls and you don't have to be accurate. Plus there isn't anything more butt clenching then to be in the dark and hear a shotgun rack.
My 2 cents, any firearm in a hallway is going to scramble your thoughts for a bit. If you can't go suppressed, then at least go subsonic. The 45 is already that, personally I use 9mm with 147gn bullets. I would look at a PCC, either AR9 with glock mags (so you can share) or, my favorite, the MP5.

RE: safes:
(first since you already have a real safe Im assuming you know the difference between a real safe and a storage container (locker, cabinet) for when at home staging etc.)
Some options I can recommend:
Hornady RAPiD Safe container: I have one of these for staging and temporary storage. Everything about it works except for one thing, it will not fit more than one scoped rifle, its not deep enough by about 2 inches. It also will not fit a rifle with a pistol grip, again... not deep enough. For that I give it a medium review in such a basic design flaw and marketing BS. It does work though. I dont think its super secure from a prybar but its more secure than the usual Stackon brand cabinet.
Securit Fast Box: I dont own one of these but they get great reviews and are 5inches deeper for scoped rifles. I regret buying the Hornady over this option.
Arma15 wall mount: I have one of these and it is a solid design and fast access with a directional combination padlock or a puck padlock for higher security (very slow access). This is probably the most affordable option for securing an AR carbine in a closet or behind something. The product is a solid well done design and is not coming off the wall without a die grinder.

Re: the gun:
Good luck finding something easy on the ears inside a home. I suggest a good electronic earmuffs stored next to or with any staged gun. I would consider a simple 9mm pistol and or a PCC and go over a defense plan that covers where not to shoot for pass thrus to bedrooms or neighbors.

Unpopular suggestion: you say she's sensory avoidant. Dues that mean she does not like/can't handle loud noises? Because guns are really, really LOUD. Has she shot a gun without hearing protection? Because if you think it's a real possibility she'll have to pull the trigger inside the house, she won't have ear protection. She needs to shoot a couple rounds bare eared to get the concept.

Solution: whatever you think she'll be using, suppress it. Pay the $200 fee.

Something like this with a hinged full-length mirror over it would be great by the front door or in a bedroom:

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend Stack-On, but if it's bolted to the wall and hidden, I'd be OK with it.

Edit: Here's a much better one:

Best search phrase seems to be "in wall rifle safe".

Last Edited:
Unpopular suggestion: you say she's sensory avoidant. Dues that mean she does not like/can't handle loud noises? Because guns are really, really LOUD. Has she shot a gun without hearing protection? Because if you think it's a real possibility she'll have to pull the trigger inside the house, she won't have ear protection. She needs to shoot a couple rounds bare eared to get the concept.

Solution: whatever you think she'll be using, suppress it. Pay the $200 fee.
There's a big difference between firing without earpro in a non-stress situation and firing in a stressful situation. Don't encourage unnecessary hearing damage to acclimate somebody to something they won't even notice in a time of high adrenaline.

I've had to fire indoors before and didn't notice anything but muzzle flash (I recommend a good flash hider) and ringing ears later (which I already have in the form of wonderful tinnitus).

For the hand guns when our kids were young I bought a few of the gun box type safes with the 5 button Simplex locks. You set the combination and they are simple to open even in the dark by feel. They make a lot of the same thing now that use your finger print and are electronic. I just never liked trusting that but many of them are nice. Can be mounted anywhere so hiding them is easy.
I have LONG been a fan of the PCC (carbine using hand gun ammo) for around the home. Short, light, super simple to use. Sadly now in WA you are limited in what you can buy in this market. I always suggest finding a range with rentals when people want something new and are not sure. Its both fun to do and FAR cheaper than buying something then finding out she does not like it.

I'd do a biometric safe, but I'd sift through the reviews. There are so many these days.. and some are total junk. I'm not sure I'd suggest a key lock safe as the key can be lost and under stress opening a safe with a key may be a massive struggle.

My firearm suggestions would be: 1911's and 92FS pistols. They are both are highly accurate, even if they seem a little large for her hands. Every person I've taken out shooting, shoots very well with those two pistols. Very well.

And the 1911's now are so affordable, it would also be easy to get one in 9 or 45.

Of course I'm only going off those suggestions due to the high level of accuracy and ease of use they both offer. As I mentioned before, everyone no matter how new shoots very well, and if it's home defense, the last thing I'd do if provide a super tiny sub compact that she'd have to fiddle with if anything jammed up. Bigger is better for motor skills under stress (IMO) when it comes to pistols. I'd certainly get a full sized as long as the slide spring resistance on the 1911 isn't too much for her. Which it shouldn't be.

I know it sounds over the top, but if you have kids in the home, I'd honestly suggest doing a home invasion walk through with her so she has an idea of what to do and a plan.. everyone thinks they can just wing it but it's much better to at least have a plan of action such as gathering the kids and getting to a room where she can mount a defense. When your spouse understands the risk of round over penetration, they can start to appreciate shot placement risk and the need to be aware of the children's locations god forbid anything like a home invasion occurs.

Most may say shotguns or rifles and I get that for penetration risk.. but if she is opposed to those, a 1911 could be the way to go. Big controls, highly accurate and sure it's heavy but she isn't carrying it and it's got enough rounds to stop a threat in the home. Especially if you keep a spare mag with it.

Just my .02 I'm sure many may say Glock 19 or something super small perhaps even a revolver.. but most I've taken out that shoot a snub nose cannot hit anything unless they are belly to belly with a target.. the goal would be to prevent any would be attacker from getting that close.

All really good info, thanks. I am in agreement on all the firearm info. The home invasion scenario is the most likely we would encounter, so good thoughts. The biometric would be a good option, and yup, definitely full sized if its a pistol. Thanks for the thought.

For home defense I always say a pump 12 or 20ga with #7 shot, shouldn't go through walls and you don't have to be accurate. Plus there isn't anything more butt clenching then to be in the dark and hear a shotgun rack.
My 2 cents, any firearm in a hallway is going to scramble your thoughts for a bit. If you can't go suppressed, then at least go subsonic. The 45 is already that, personally I use 9mm with 147gn bullets. I would look at a PCC, either AR9 with glock mags (so you can share) or, my favorite, the MP5.
Yea, similar thoughts. My worry on a pump action would be activating the slide release. But I agree for myself, thats what I would want, maybe a semi auto shotty instead. PCC would make alot of sense. 45acp seems like a good choice in that case. Thanks for the thought!

RE: safes:
(first since you already have a real safe Im assuming you know the difference between a real safe and a storage container (locker, cabinet) for when at home staging etc.)
Some options I can recommend:
Hornady RAPiD Safe container: I have one of these for staging and temporary storage. Everything about it works except for one thing, it will not fit more than one scoped rifle, its not deep enough by about 2 inches. It also will not fit a rifle with a pistol grip, again... not deep enough. For that I give it a medium review in such a basic design flaw and marketing BS. It does work though. I dont think its super secure from a prybar but its more secure than the usual Stackon brand cabinet.
Securit Fast Box: I dont own one of these but they get great reviews and are 5inches deeper for scoped rifles. I regret buying the Hornady over this option.
Arma15 wall mount: I have one of these and it is a solid design and fast access with a directional combination padlock or a puck padlock for higher security (very slow access). This is probably the most affordable option for securing an AR carbine in a closet or behind something. The product is a solid well done design and is not coming off the wall without a die grinder.

Re: the gun:
Good luck finding something easy on the ears inside a home. I suggest a good electronic earmuffs stored next to or with any staged gun. I would consider a simple 9mm pistol and or a PCC and go over a defense plan that covers where not to shoot for pass thrus to bedrooms or neighbors.
Thanks for the info and links, ill check them out! Yea, when the poop hits the fan, I bet she would be OK with the loud noise if it means defending our kids. Just trying to condider what variables I can control.

Something like this with a hinged full-length mirror over it would be great by the front door or in a bedroom:

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend Stack-On, but if it's bolted to the wall and hidden, I'd be OK with it.

Edit: Here's a much better one:

Best search phrase seems to be "in wall rifle safe".

Interesting, we need a new mirror anyways, thanks!

Yea, similar thoughts. My worry on a pump action would be activating the slide release. But I agree for myself, thats what I would want, maybe a semi auto shotty instead. PCC would make alot of sense. 45acp seems like a good choice in that case. Thanks for the thought!
We can so far still have the semi shotty as long as no pistol grip and tube mag. Mossberg makes a DAMN nice one that's still so far WA legal. I have been VERY tempted to buy one a few times. Finally bought one of their Shock Wave shotguns. NOT for everyone but make a DAMN fine close in defense gun.

Im just happy my liberal, gluten and dairy free, kale eating, yoga going, birkenstock wearing, Seattle born, beauftiful wife is finally identifying the need to arm herself! Puts a smile on my face. Haha

The birdshot myth is a dangerous misconception. Birdshot does not reliably penetrate sufficiently, even at close range. It generally creates a gruesome but very shallow wound. The pellets are too small to carry enough momentum. Low recoil buckshot is even lighter recoil than birdshot and is much, much more effective against intruders. Many people will go with a minimum #4 buckshot as a compromise, but the only round that really combines reduced drywall penetration and effective bad guy penetration is hollow or soft point .223 or 5.56, and even it will often penetrate drywall, albeit at a low velocity. There is currently no such thing as a round that won't sufficiently penetrate drywall but will sufficiently penetrate the bad guy. The bottom line is to arrange your defenses so that the guns are never pointed at the good guys.

And you DO have to be accurate. At home defense distances, you're looking at a two to three inch pattern at best.

Why #7 shot?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads