JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I basically agree, with the sole exception of someone who can't get past the mental block of using something more effective. They should use whatever they can get their mind to accept.

Anyone who has gotten past that block really should not be trying to convince themselves that birdshot is acceptable. If you are comfortable with effective lethal force you should be using effective lethal force. That definitely means not birdshot.
To me it's about half a step above throwing dishes at them.

I've got a couple of GunVault safes for under my bed (one for me and one for the wife). These work great as they use fingertip buttons that are very easy to find and push in the dark to open. Opens via 6 digit push button code (can also use tandem button press). They use a 9v battery (change every year along with your smoke detectors) and the newer of the 2 has a slide out drawer that makes access to the firearm pretty quick. Access time is within a few seconds of putting your fingers on the code buttons. There is a short time red led to help see things but not kill your night vision. There is a key override but I simply keep those in the large rifle safe. Fairly inexpensive and I think reviews are favorable. I've stayed away from biometric versions as I don't want issues to entry if my fingerprints are worn/altered from working with my hands.

https://gunvault.com/minivault-standard/ (there are other options but this is the version I have for middle of the night access to "bedside gun")

I've got a couple of GunVault safes for under my bed (one for me and one for the wife). These work great as they use fingertip buttons that are very easy to find and push in the dark to open. Opens via 6 digit push button code (can also use tandem button press). They use a 9v battery (change every year along with your smoke detectors) and the newer of the 2 has a slide out drawer that makes access to the firearm pretty quick. Access time is within a few seconds of putting your fingers on the code buttons. There is a short time red led to help see things but not kill your night vision. There is a key override but I simply keep those in the large rifle safe. Fairly inexpensive and I think reviews are favorable. I've stayed away from biometric versions as I don't want issues to entry if my fingerprints are worn/altered from working with my hands.

https://gunvault.com/minivault-standard/ (there are other options but this is the version I have for middle of the night access to "bedside gun")
Just don't leave stuff in them when you're away. They're not very secure.

Just don't leave stuff in them when you're away. They're not very secure.
Good point. They are secure enough for purposes of prying kids and unintended access to the firearm. I would expect it to resist most attempts at access unless someone was really committed and/or came with specific tools to defeat it. I don't think you'd get into with a simple screwdriver and hammer without some time spent at it. They are pretty moveable so someone could simply take the entire safe with them unless you fastened it down.

Good point. They are secure enough for purposes of prying kids and unintended access to the firearm. I would expect it to resist most attempts at access unless someone was really committed and/or came with specific tools to defeat it. I don't think you'd get into with a simple screwdriver and hammer without some time spent at it. They are pretty moveable so someone could simply take the entire safe with them unless you fastened it down.
This is where the old line from that movie comes in "Is not safe is gun". The whole point of any gun safe is to make the gun a little harder to get at. Many places now its the law that the guns have to be "secured". Now days with tech having come light years in a decade there is a lot more anyone can do. Alarms, camera's, ect. If anyone is using a "gun box" type safe as that is all they have for now? Simple to put them some out of the way spot. Smash and grab scum are looking for quick grab and go. They seldom have or take time to search all over in a home. Put a box someplace where most will not be looking when in a hurry.

They have very cheap manual locks in them. Very little skill is required to pick them. On the upside, you can't break into them with a paperclip like some of the competition, and the metal is thicker than some.

Lag bolts to the floor with the drawer removed.

Holds a lot of weight, five long guns, or lots of pistols and ammo.

48x24x6

monster v.JPG

Last Edited:
My safe is a Liberty. Decent safe for a decent price and made local.
My wife is a decent shooter and hunter, has a CHL and a couple of handguns.

My sister has shot before, in fact about 30 years ago was a police officer for a while, but probably hasn't shot anything but a 22 rifle in years. She is building a house in a rural area and mentioned that when she moves there she wants a firearm for protection. I happened to have a 20 gauge Remington 870 that I had @Velzey shorten the barrel to 18" and put the bead back on it. Simple to operate, small enough to handle easily and it won't knock her socks off or blow out her eardrums.
Just my opinion.

Just took a quick look at my favorite place and looks like the Ruger is still (for now) OK here as long as you don't get the threaded barrel. They had a couple choices they would ship here. They are a NICE home defense gun.
If you can still get the Ruger PC here, do that. Proper defensive caliber, decent capacity (assuming you stocked up on Glock mags prior to the law passing), easy controls, low recoil, optics ready. Winner.

Do these "beep", or are they silent?

Do these "beep", or are they silent?
You can turn the "beep" sound off but I definitely wouldn't call the sound of the door spring opening quickly very quiet. It helps to have it on carpet but there is definitely some noise with the part of the door snapping open. This action is extremely quick. The photo shows the models I have (MiniVault® GV1050-19) 2 of. For the record, I'm not stating these safes are better than Fort Knox or anything close but IMHO add a quick, convenient and safe place to store a pistol that may be needed to be accessed quickly and in the dark. I don't worry that someone will accidentally obtain my firearm but that I can still get to it myself within a few seconds. It's not as secure as some other safes out there but I would consider it better than most in it's price range for comparable items. I feel fairly confident in the product and have recommended them to friends who are looking.

According to manufacturer website:

FEATURES

• Upon entry of the correct code, the safe door simultaneously opens while the foam-padded auto slide-out drawer delivers unobstructed access to a handgun
  • Aiding in low-light conditions, a red LED illuminates the interior of the GV1050-19 for added confidence when you need it most
  • Illuminated No-Eyes® keypad allows users to open the safe quickly even in the darkest of places
  • Auto slide-out drawer instantly presents hand gun – 20% Faster than previous mode
  • Red interior LED Light adds confidence in low light conditions
  • Manual backup key with dimpled design for enhanced picked resistance
  • Foam padded interior
  • Keypad tones can be silenced
  • Tamper detection feature
  • Low battery warning
  • Heavy gauge steel construction
  • Tamper proof concealed hinge

MiniVault_GV1050-19-Frontal-Open-Props__03062__88359.jpg

OP, You have a well thought out post and questions.

Quick $.02 on electronic locks...told this story before, I personally know someone who had their intruder alarm go off in the middle of the night. Both spouses rolled over to their electronic locked safes and both failed. Fortunately it was a false alarm. Have a manual back up (quickly) available if you go with one of these. The Simplex (mechanical, not electrical) are a good option for whatever size you find.

One of the things that drives us absolutely crazy are the ladies who show up with tiny handguns - almost always revolvers. They're normally talked into buying something small by sales people or their husbands because they're light and easy to handle…right up until they have to pull the trigger.

Choosing a gun for someone else should never be attempted.
IMHO, the home defense to 100 yard span might be trying to do too much with one gun, others might disagree. If I need a long gun, I'll grab that. The go-to in the house is either my carry gun or a pump shotgun (with 00 buck). Since you may have permission to buy more than one gun (actually give the permission to your spouse as noted above), perhaps consider a .22 for practice (due to the sensory issues, get it as we have a family member who is the same) and then a more traditional self defense caliber (9mm, 380). The reason is that someone may be more willing to practice with the .22 more and then add some with the "real" caliber. You can get (only if it works for HER) something like an S&W EZ or Equalizer series and their M&P 22 which is not the same but quite similar in size and function.

And remember, every time a spouse, family member, or male gun counter worker recommends a small revolver to a new female (or any gender for that matter) shooter without them shooting it first, some small child loses a balloon on their birthday. 😪

OP, You have a well thought out post and questions.

Quick $.02 on electronic locks...told this story before, I personally know someone who had their intruder alarm go off in the middle of the night. Both spouses rolled over to their electronic locked safes and both failed. Fortunately it was a false alarm. Have a manual back up (quickly) available if you go with one of these. The Simplex (mechanical, not electrical) are a good option for whatever size you find.

IMHO, the home defense to 100 yard span might be trying to do too much with one gun, others might disagree. If I need a long gun, I'll grab that. The go-to in the house is either my carry gun or a pump shotgun (with 00 buck). Since you may have permission to buy more than one gun (actually give the permission to your spouse as noted above), perhaps consider a .22 for practice (due to the sensory issues, get it as we have a family member who is the same) and then a more traditional self defense caliber (9mm, 380). The reason is that someone may be more willing to practice with the .22 more and then add some with the "real" caliber. You can get (only if it works for HER) something like an S&W EZ or Equalizer series and their M&P 22 which is not the same but quite similar in size and function.

And remember, every time a spouse, family member, or male gun counter worker recommends a small revolver to a new female (or any gender for that matter) shooter without them shooting it first, some small child loses a balloon on their birthday. 😪
Who here had a 100 yard hallway? I wanna be their friend.

In all honesty my home defense gun is the same gun I carry everyday. More importantly know the layout of your home. Where your kids sleep. Angles. Over penetration through walls and who may be effected or on the other side. Practice moving through your house/apartment. My house is 1600 square feet. Single level. I don't have a staircase for a height advantage but I can move quickly through my house and close distance before entry is made. Harden your residence. Door jams, windows, garage doors, size 13 boots on the door step, etc.

Be a hard target and force the perps to move on to the next house.

Buy a dog.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top