JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since the new "learning course" must be done before purchase a firearm in my "progressive" state.

Also, let's say if I have a someone in Oregon who can take care of the magazine. Am I able to keep the magazine? Before the pistol ship to my WA ffl?

You cannot legally purchase a handgun in any state except the one you reside in. That's a federal thing, so no a Washington resident cannot in any way legally purchase a handgun in Oregon.

A Washington resident may also not legally, in any way, import (cross the border into Washington) a magazine of greater than 10 rounds. This includes magazines that started in Washington and crossed into Oregon. They cannot legally cross back.

I am not a lawyer, this information is worth what you paid for it (nothing)

Since the new "learning course" must be done before purchase a firearm in my "progressive" state.

Also, let's say if I have a someone in Oregon who can take care of the magazine. Am I able to keep the magazine? Before the pistol ship to my WA ffl?
Handguns must be transferred by an FFL within the state of residence of the recipient.

As far as magazines go, they can't (currently) track and control what you do outside of your state of residence, but it would not be "legal" for you to import a prohibited magazine.

You're a free citizen (I assume), act accordingly.

You can purchase a pistol in Oregon.
However, the transfer to you, must be done by a Washington state FFL.
As far as you bringing in a magazine that exceeds Wa states capacity laws, into Wa.
that would be breaking the law.
Remember this BS at election time.
☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

A Washington resident may also not legally, in any way, import (cross the border into Washington) a magazine of greater than 10 rounds. This includes magazines that started in Washington and crossed into Oregon. They cannot legally cross back.
It has been my understanding that transporting a restricted magazine out of Washington to another State, then returning to Washington with that restricted magazine is not the same as buying and importing a new one into Washington...just like transporting an AR-15 from Washington to another State then returning with it is legal. You cannot import a new one, but you can transport the one you owned prior to the Ban going into effect.

Am I incorrect???

It has been my understanding that transporting a restricted magazine out of Washington to another State, then returning to Washington with that restricted magazine is not the same as buying and importing a new one into Washington...just like transporting an AR-15 from Washington to another State then returning with it is legal. You cannot import a new one, but you can transport the one you owned prior to the Ban going into effect.

Am I incorrect???
It is not your understanding that matters.
It is what the prosecuting attorney understands.

Let's say you want to buy a Glock from an Oregon seller. You drive down and look at it in Oregon. If you agree to buy it then you could pay the seller and walk away with everything but the serialized frame or part. The seller can then send the serialized frame or part up to your preferred FFL in WA for transfer. It's up to you to know which parts you should be bringing back home to WA.

As you already know, Washington's BS training would be required; your FFL will ask about it. Yes it sucks, but the good news: training is cost-free at the Sporting Systems website.

Nothing in the law prohibits you from buying a handgun from an out of state seller. However, the law does require the sale to go through a FFL in Washington. Whatever works for you: he seller may travel to meet you in Washington at your FFL, or have his local FFL ship the handgun to your FFL, or you could even travel out of state to examine the handgun, then have an out of state FFL ship the handgun to your FFL in Washington.

Standard capacity magazines are another story; your law-abiding FFL in Washington will not release any magazine if its capacity is greater than ten rounds; do not let your FFL even touch 'em. Although, you can own standard capacity magazines legally, you cannot import them into Washington, nor is it legal for your seller to do that. So, don't do that. (My brother in a free state is holding all the standard capacity magazines that I've bought since that BS law went into effect; USPS made that easy. Someday my brother may even be able to legally mail those magazines to Washington for me.)

You didn't ask, but it's pertinent: The handgun you're ready to buy must not have yet been branded as a totally evil assault weapon by the Washington legislature, so check the features carefully. This flow chart may help.

Am I incorrect???
Yep. Stuff can leave (ie sell to other states). But stuff can't come in unless it's a wa resident who left with the item(s) and is returning with the same item(s).

Let's say you want to buy a Glock from an Oregon seller. You drive down and look at it in Oregon. If you agree to buy it then you could pay the seller and walk away with everything but the serialized frame or part. The seller can then send the serialized frame or part up to your preferred FFL in WA for transfer. It's up to you to know which parts you should be bringing back home to WA.
Are you sure that's not tax evasion, or whatever WA calls it?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top