JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many guys have to ask their wives permission to buy a gun.
I have heard a number of excuses from married men that their wives won't let them buy a new gun or they have to ask the wives before they can buy and she would say, No! Is it because you have too many already? Or she rather you spent the money on her instead? Or she don't want to deal with all the gun stuff after you die? Or you spending all your time playing with your guns and not with her? Or she know that you are financially irresponsible and spending hard earned money on guns and not saving your money? Or she's concerned about gun safety with chidren in the house? And What else?
these are the kind of guys who sit down to pee.

I'm the one with a job, she hasn't worked in 12 years.

I don't ask permission to spend MY money on MY collection.
So your wife has contributed nothing? No children, no child care, no cooking, cleaning, laundry doing, shopping, etc? You have no children and hire a housekeeper and cook to do those other things? Or do them all yourself? Your wife is just a lazy freeloader?

My older sister's husband thought his income was all his in spite of the fact my sister worked as a secretary for three years putting him through college so he could get the fancy engineering job. And she bore and raised three children, and did all the cooking and cleaning. And he loved to invite several colleagues and their wives over once or twice a month and she was a gourmet cook. So she held frequent dinner parties focused on his friends and careers. She also did all the opening and closing up, rental and management of three summer rental cottages they had on Cape Cod. Then after kids had left home he had an affair and fell in love with a women in her twenties and went to see a divorce lawyer talking about MY Money and MY house the way he always did, as if she was a maid, not a wife. His own lawyer told him to get real and stop being an ahole.

Part of that deal is probably the one kid who is going to inherit the farm is also going to take care of the parents in their old age on the farm. And the "who was obedient" sounds like sibling resentment. That sibling probably wants to live on the farm and be a farmer himself. Farms are so expensive its near impossible to start farming by buying a farm. Mostly you need to inherit a farm. And farming is one of the least secure vocations their is. You never know how much you are making, if anything, until the crops are harvested and sold. It takes way more guts to be a farmer than just about anything. And the hours are long and physically demanding. If a farm couple has six kids they are lucky if even one wants to be a farmer, let alone live on that farm and take care of parents, even if they do inherit the farm.
There's more to it than that, a lot more. Please don't assume that you know someone's situation. I know just about all there is to know about farming and what it entails. I would have been one helluva lot better off if I had left the farm at 18 and started life on my own, instead of wasting all those years on the damn farm trying to get along with my dad. I know all about year upon year of miserable farm work, been there, done that.

Yeah there's resentment, but it has more to do with the fact that the GD farm was always the most important thing to my dad. He was always too busy, stressed, or angry to have a real relationship with his only son (me), or ever get to know my kids, his grandchildren. That GD farm was all-consuming and all-important. He passed the obsession/insanity on to my entitled hypocrite sister, along with the farm in a trust. My mom worked harder than he ever did, out there milking cows at 60 years old, but she has no say because she actually understands that the family is more important than the GD farm. Everything we all worked for there, my parent's decades of back-breaking work, the inheritances they both received from my grandparents, everything went into that bubblegum farm, for my self-righteous sister. My kids don't count for anything, never really have, because they're not "farm kids". You're darn right I have resentment.

On a logical, rational level, I have nothing against farmers or farming, but on an emotional level I absolutely hate it, and think farming is one of the dumbest things you can do. The mythology of the Noble American Farmer is just that, a myth.

Sorry for the drift and the rant. It's a sore subject.

these are the kind of guys who sit down to pee.
Depends on the situation. If the guy's buying guns is going to cause kids to be reduced to bread sandwiches, his buying a gun is very much his wife's business. On the other hand, if he is financially responsible and his buying guns is not going to cause the family to suffer, it probably is just his business.

Yeah I get it that you are trying to say that you are a real he-man, and what you say goes, and and you have to carry a towel everywhere just to mop off the testosterone that drips off you. Riiight. (Yawn.)

Depends on the situation. If the guy's buying guns is going to cause kids to be reduced to bread sandwiches, his buying a gun is very much his wife's business. On the other hand, if he is financially responsible and his buying guns is not going to cause the family to suffer, it probably is just his business.

Yeah I get it that you are trying to say that you are a real he-man, and what you say goes, and and you have to carry a towel everywhere just to mop off the testosterone that drips off you. Riiight. (Yawn.)
I like to play He-Man. My wife tolerates it until I forget to clean up my dishes.

So your wife has contributed nothing? No children, no child care, no cooking, cleaning, laundry doing, shopping, etc? You have no children and hire a housekeeper and cook to do those other things? Or do them all yourself? Your wife is just a lazy freeloader?

My older sister's husband thought his income was all his in spite of the fact my sister worked as a secretary for three years putting him through college so he could get the fancy engineering job. And she bore and raised three children, and did all the cooking and cleaning. And he loved to invite several colleagues and their wives over once or twice a month and she was a gourmet cook. So she held frequent dinner parties focused on his friends and careers. She also did all the opening and closing up, rental and management of three summer rental cottages they had on Cape Cod. Then after kids had left home he had an affair and fell in love with a women in her twenties and went to see a divorce lawyer talking about MY Money and MY house the way he always did, as if she was a maid, not a wife. His own lawyer told him to get real and stop being an ahole.
Don't act like you know me.

We've no kids. I sure as hell wasnt the one who had an affair, who may be having another one....

I work from home and yet still find the time to do 95% of all the cleaning, laundry, shopping, yard work, cooking and take care of the animals.

I do recall she actually vacuumed once in early December and picked up a bottle of champagne for new years.

But yeah, I'm probably a real bastard 'cause I'll spend a few hundred every few months on another antique firearm.

Last Edited:
There's more to it than that, a lot more. Please don't assume that you know someone's situation. I know just about all there is to know about farming and what it entails. I would have been one helluva lot better off if I had left the farm at 18 and started life on my own, instead of wasting all those years on the damn farm trying to get along with my dad. I know all about year upon year of miserable farm work, been there, done that.

Yeah there's resentment, but it has more to do with the fact that the GD farm was always the most important thing to my dad. He was always too busy, stressed, or angry to have a real relationship with his only son (me), or ever get to know my kids, his grandchildren. That GD farm was all-consuming and all-important. He passed the obsession/insanity on to my entitled hypocrite sister, along with the farm in a trust. My mom worked harder than he ever did, out there milking cows at 60 years old, but she has no say because she actually understands that the family is more important than the GD farm. Everything we all worked for there, my parent's decades of back-breaking work, the inheritances they both received from my grandparents, everything went into that bubblegum farm, for my self-righteous sister. My kids don't count for anything, never really have, because they're not "farm kids". You're darn right I have resentment.

On a logical, rational level, I have nothing against farmers or farming, but on an emotional level I absolutely hate it, and think farming is one of the dumbest things you can do. The mythology of the Noble American Farmer is just that, a myth.

Sorry for the drift and the rant. It's a sore subject.
+1 how can others generalize about someone else's situation when they know nothing about it?

Yep oldbat called it, there's three types of male gun buyers, mister buys it because he wants it, Misses buys it because the wife approves his purchase, and then there's full retard, never go full retard.
I drip , but I doubt it's my testosterone

In my family im Dad and Mom, raising a 8yr daughter and 6yr Son solo. My priorities are my kids.

Yup, our Klee Kai/Mini Husky was just under $2K and that was 7 years ago…. Her replacement will be a Wilson and a Barrett…

:s0140:
Beware, Barrett is new to the whole dog business and the technology is not yet proven.

92D087B9-EFFD-471D-9BBC-5BFE24801750.jpeg
(J/k)

We're actually talking about taking another one on, she'll be 7 tomorrow, figure a younger friend will help keep her young…
We were supposed to get a boy Corgi for my son, but the last litter only had three. Only one was a male, and he didn't make it. I told him we could get another girl now, or wait until after hunting/salmon season for a boy.

I've probably wore out my welcome on this thread, but I will make one more comment.

As I've posted before, my wife hasn't had an income of her own for a very long time. She's been a full time mom and homemaker for a couple decades. Due to some long term health issues, there are many times when very little cooking or cleaning happens, and yes I do get seriously tired of coming home from a long day at work, only to clean the living room and do the dishes, then maybe take apart and repair the dishwasher or troubleshoot a car problem.

In years past, if I'd sell off some gun stuff or work some extra hours, that was my money that I felt entitled to spend on my interests, rather than family expenses. Lately every spare nickel that comes into the house is needed for the family, and that does bother me at times, but my family is my responsibility and that's just what we have to do right now, so I'm ok with just being a workhorse for a while.

What anyone else does is their own business. If separate finances are what works best for you and yours, then more power to you.

Immature, petty, simpletons might do that.

Intelligent couples who know all contributions add up to a happy, healthy relationship don't worry about stupid bubblegum.

My wife and I, with our separate finances and "fake" marriage, take care of what needs to be taken care of and don't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes she buys some Bourbon, sometimes I buy it. Sometimes one of us buys it more often than the other. So what?
Have been with the same woman since 96. At this point we fit together so well neither of us can really even fathom not being together. It just works too well. Selfish of me I know but, I always hope I leave the place first. Do NOT like to think what it would be like to have her leave before me. Guess the perfect world would be we both just pass in our sleep at the same time. Then the kids can come and argue over who takes the stuff. :s0140:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top