JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Saw this video today and it reminded me how many times simply staying in your car gives you all the options, vs getting out and confronting people limits your options. The guy in the video did many stupid things, as did the bicyclists, but it reminded me of a personal experience years ago in Portland which I'll describe here. I was driving in my lane and there were several bicycles in the bike lane. Without warning one of the bikes suddenly pulls out into the car lane to pass another bicyclist. This was right at the time I was passing by him prompting me to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. Even though it was his mistake, he made a point at the next stop light to try to get me to engage him. He knocked on window hard several times and tried to get me to roll it down. I shook my head no, and he continued even harder. I gave him a few choice words and then he put his bike in front of my right front of the car (he was now standing behind the bike holding onto the seat). I calmly turned on my right turn signal and slowly turned as normal. He pulled his bike back so it wouldn't get run over.

So when watching this video below, I was thinking, "why in the world would someone get out of their car to engage people like this?" You give up the ability to get away, give up your ability to use the mass of your car for defense, give up ability to defend your self from inside the car if needed, and you give up the cover the car provides. So whether it's a belligerent beggar aggressively and randomly going from one car to another (this has happened to me in PDX also), an irate bicyclist, or a mob, or teenagers trying to carjack your car which happens all the time in PDX now, it seems to me staying in the vehicle gives you all the options vs. getting out gives away all those advantages.

Saw this video today and it reminded me how many times simply staying in your car gives you all the options, vs getting out and confronting people limits your options. The guy in the video did many stupid things, as did the bicyclists, but it reminded me of a personal experience years ago in Portland which I'll describe here. I was driving in my lane and there were several bicycles in the bike lane. Without warning one of the bikes suddenly pulls out into the car lane to pass another bicyclist. This was right at the time I was passing by him prompting me to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. Even though it was his mistake, he made a point at the next stop light to try to get me to engage him. He knocked on window hard several times and tried to get me to roll it down. I shook my head no, and he continued even harder. I gave him a few choice words and then he put his bike in front of my right front of the car (he was now standing behind the bike holding onto the seat). I calmly turned on my right turn signal and slowly turned as normal. He pulled his bike back so it wouldn't get run over.

So when watching this video below, I was thinking, "why in the world would someone get out of their car to engage people like this?" You give up the ability to get away, give up your ability to use the mass of your car for defense, give up ability to defend your self from inside the car if needed, and you give up the cover the car provides. So whether it's a belligerent beggar aggressively and randomly going from one car to another (this has happened to me in PDX also), an irate bicyclist, or a mob, or teenagers trying to carjack your car which happens all the time in PDX now, it seems to me staying in the vehicle gives you all the options vs. getting out gives away all those advantages.

Fox 5.3 spray helps tame people who you can't legally shoot (yet).

This result of these confrontations is explained by basic physics....
.... the collision of an irresistible idiot and an immovable jackass will result in the molecular conversion of one into the other, causing a complete obliteration of an acceptable outcome. An idiot/jackass chain reaction occurring in witnesses can frequently result in an uncontrollable MFF**.
.... It's science !

1622505717289.png

** Media Feeding Frenzy

Last Edited:
I agree that staying in the car with windows up and using the power of the car for defence is normally the best tactic. I think people tend to get out of their vehicles when confronted by someone outside their vehicle because our basic biological instincts run counter to the best tactics.

Primates generally stand and make themselves as tall and large as possible during dominance displays. Sitting down and being lower than someone standing outside our car window represents a submissive stance to us and violates our instincts for how to position ourselves for either a dominance display or fight. Even when both parties are willing to fight physically, human fights over road incidents probably usually start with words. Huddling inside the car feels passive and cowardly compared with getting out and mouthing off.. Basically our instincts dont take into account that we might be inside a car. In addition, practically speaking we can't communicate well from inside a sealed car, so can't actually deescalate. In addition, our instincts tell us we are trapped in a stationary car, since someone outside can swing a bat or tire iron or wrench at our car or window, and we can't swing effectively.

Of course we can shoot from inside a car, shooting through the glass. And of course can use the power of the car itself to escape.

So much dumb happening in that video ... where to begin? Short of a physical roadblock or a stack of Mogadishu-style burning tires, I cannot think of one good reason to dismount when you are still capable of hitting the gas pedal. Go through, go around, or go back: only when those options are exhausted should you even consider ditching your wheels.

I agree that staying in the car with windows up and using the power of the car for defence is normally the best tactic. I think people tend to get out of their vehicles when confronted by someone outside their vehicle because our basic biological instincts run counter to the best tactics.

Primates generally stand and make themselves as tall and large as possible during dominance displays. Sitting down and being lower than someone standing outside our car window represents a submissive stance to us and violates our instincts for how to position ourselves for either a dominance display or fight. Even when both parties are willing to fight physically, human fights over road incidents probably usually start with words. Huddling inside the car feels passive and cowardly compared with getting out and mouthing off.. Basically our instincts dont take into account that we might be inside a car. In addition, practically speaking we can't communicate well from inside a sealed car, so can't actually deescalate. In addition, our instincts tell us we are trapped in a stationary car, since someone outside can swing a bat or tire iron or wrench at our car or window, and we can't swing effectively.

Of course we can shoot from inside a car, shooting through the glass. And of course can use the power of the car itself to escape.
Never thought of it that way. That makes total sense to me. The area around our car feels like our "personal space" and when that is threatened people often act on emotion and instinct rather than logic.

In the Florida video, it appeared to me like the driver had reached his destination and was getting out for that reason. Not necessarily to confront the bicyclist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But I agree that to get out of a vehicle for the purpose of confrontation is not the best way to go. In these modern times, let the other guy think he got the last word. Drive around the block. Don't show your weapon in one of these obvious verbal exchanges. The second you show it, you become the bad guy. These adult bike riders in Spandex tights, they aren't likely to pull a gun on you. Save the gun for the car jackers at the gas station who come at you quickly WITHOUT WORDS.

A lot of the adult bike riders have a chip on their shoulder. They are looking for some excuse to call out a motorist, it's in their nature.

A lot of the adult bike riders have a chip on their shoulder. They are looking for some excuse to call out a motorist, it's in their nature.
Or hikers on FOOT trails in wilderness areas.

This is a real issue in some areas.

A lot of bicyclists are liberal tree huggers so they start out with a 'chip on their shoulder' by virtue of the fact they know they are vulnerable and they believe their arrogance and anger will carry them.

Last Edited:
Never thought of it that way. That makes total sense to me. The area around our car feels like our "personal space" and when that is threatened people often act on emotion and instinct rather than logic.
I mean, button down shirt guy did spring for the GMC over basic Chevy trim. Can't let some Australian plum smuggler get to close to the daily driver. He might scratch it.

Just tried to watch it again.
That's a lot of gum flappin for sure. And I just about guarantee that some type of civil action is in the works.

Other than hideously sloppy form, I can see reasonable merit to exiting the vehicle gun in hand . Pure conjecture, but it looks like the parking lot is private property (office, work place, maybe his residence )

Remember this is Florida. If he was in a place he has a reason to be , Lance Accentstrong and Richard fixed Gear are trespassing and could be seen as menacing.
Saying aloud on his own GoPro "..it's alright, we know where you work" probably trashes any chance of winning outright in court. But it was all still pure stupidity x 3.

The one reason I can think of to roll down the window is if you expect to be able to deescalate given ability to communicate. Once a male friend and I pulled into a one-way parking circle on the OSU campus. All spots were taken. A car had stopped in the circle lane, blocking it so nobody could get past and get the next parking spot opening up. That trapped us and meant we couldn't leave to park elsewhere, and we had an appointment. Dan gently rolled up to the car and tapped it very lightly on the back bumper. Big mistake. That bump was merely a somewhat inept attempt to communicate "Let us out.", but could be interpreted as an act of aggression. A big guy got out of the car and stalked toward our car, clearly spoiling for a fight. Dan, by the way, was himself big, powerful, very dominant, and in prime condition. If he merely got out of the car it would seem an additional act of aggression to the other guy. I took over. I was in the better position to descalate the situation because I'm female, so less threatening, and also understood what had gone wrong.

"This guy wants a fight, and if you fight him, win or lose, you lose because you started it, " I told Dan. "Let me handle it. Roll down the window," When the guy came up, I bent toward the window so he was focused on me and said, "We're sorry we bumped you. We shouldn't have done that. But we have an appointment and need to get out and find somewhere else to park. You've trapped us in here." The guy looked startled, obviously suddenly seeing it from our perspective for the first time. I finished with "Could you go around the circle once so we can get out?" "Sure," he said. "Thanks." I said. And Dan thanked him too.

Last Edited:
My situation happened today. It was a non event because I made it so, but had I not been carrying I might have engaged the person.

Driving home from getting a few grill items. I see an American flag and pole in the road. The Scouts put them out all over town.
Well, this gal and her not small dog are walking down the sidewalk and when she walks up on a flag, she plucks it and chucks it in the street. I saw her do one as I drove by. I wanted to stop, but I also did not want to be on KOIN 6 tonight, either.

However, I DID see an additional flag a mile down the road. Some 'citizen' is in his car in the motel parking lot blasting what he considered music. Very likely could have done his own flag flipping, but this time I did not care. No dog, not female, flag is laying in the right of way. I pulled over and got out, looked both ways but did not engage our automotive DJ. I figured if he was gonna make an issue out of it, I don't have to deal with random canine and I can get to my car. He did not look too committed to arguing with me. Still a chance but I took it.

I detect a Cuban lisp from the GoPro holder. The driver probably had his pistol on one of those gun magnets for carrying while driving, then pocketed it after he exited the car.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Diego Broglia on the GoPro .

And his "friend" ,Patrick Whyte. Couldn't make this stuff up.

I swear I heard aussie or maybe northern England. I don't get out much tho.

I am assuming you re set the flag properly?

If so good on you!

I understand you not wanting to engage the un-American female and her dog however I may have not been so reserved....
I definitely would have told her what form of the excrement she reminded me of and that I probably have seen a relative of hers before coming out of the end of an animal.

Or hikers on FOOT trails in wilderness areas.

This is a real issue in some areas.

A lot of bicyclists are liberal tree huggers so they start out with a 'chip on their shoulder' by virtue of the fact they know they are vulnerable and they believe their arrogance and anger will carry them.
This is what will get a few of these morons hurt or killed. They have watched and often participated is these mob activities where they get away with being fools. Sooner or later they will attack someone who will just shoot them. When you see the anti Cop mobs where someone drives through them instead of letting them attack what is the first thing they all start screaming? CALL COP's! The same Cops they want done away with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top