JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just an opinion but I think the high cost of living has a great deal to do with the crazy crap and the crime.

$90 a month for garbage pick up so a lot of people just can't afford the bill. Gasoline goes up and more gas thefts, cars go up and more cars are stolen, food goes up and shoplifting goes up.

The culture turns to crime when the cost of living goes up.
When you force min wage into the mix, Covid and prices that just stayed above 30% or more. Increase rent, increase taxes.
Why all the shop lifters are criminals. What is also criminal is Farmer destroying left over food that could feed the entire planet.
In this country no person should be hungry or not have shelter. Yet our elected all of them, made this mess.

When you force min wage into the mix, Covid and prices that just stayed above 30% or more. Increase rent, increase taxes.
Why all the shop lifters are criminals. What is also criminal is Farmer destroying left over food that could feed the entire planet.
In this country no person should be hungry or not have shelter. Yet our elected all of them, made this mess.
In a perfect world.....our worlds not perfect and either are humans! People that made bad decisions, choose to live on the street and do drugs and drink instead of taking care of their responsibilities and working for a living, shouldn't be getting food or shelter on the tax payers dime.

It's not that simple. Farmers have logistics to consider when determining how to handle their product. It costs them money to harvest and process their crop, to package it, to ship it, and there needs to be some entity on the receiving end to distribute it. So what you are describing is farmers paying to harvest a product that they will never be compensated for. That's the same as doing your job for free and then paying your employer for the privilege.

All that it takes for evil to triumph in our world is for good men to stand by and do nothing
I have never put down a wolf but I have feral dogs attacking others
The choice is up to you - but if I went through life turning away I would have to remove the mirror in the bathroom as I could not face looking at myself
Just my 2 cents

$90 a month for garbage pick up so a lot of people just can't afford the bill. Gasoline goes up and more gas thefts, cars go up and more cars are stolen, food goes up and shoplifting goes up.
$90 a month?
I don't know where you live, but it costs me a little under $35 a month. (West Linn)
There's no excuse for dumping your bubblegum and making it someone else's problem.

One lesson I got years ago from a friend and very rich reconstructive surgeon that always dressed like a bum and drove a beater was that most people focus on appearance only.
I worked on the vehicles of a reconstruction plastic surgeon who drove a tank of a Cadillac and a Suburban on the weekends.
One day I asked him why he drove such gas hogs.
His reply was that if he got in an accident, he didn't want to end up on the table being put back together like the folks who drove little cars with no protection.
These were the days before all the safety improvements.

His reply was that if he got in an accident, he didn't want to end up on the table being put back together like the folks who drove little cars with no protection.
These were the days before all the safety improvements.
I don't care how many safety improvements there have been, you're dead meat in a "smart car." Whenever I see a "smart car" on the highway, I can't help but think, "You idiot."

Which reminds me of a joke:

Guy #1: Did you hear about the big wreck up in Portland?

Guy #2: No. What happened?

Guy #1: A smart car got T-boned by a guy who was walking and texting. The smart car was totaled, but fortunately the iPhone was undamaged.

I don't care how many safety improvements there have been, you're dead meat in a "smart car." Whenever I see a "smart car" on the highway, I can't help but think, "You idiot."

Which reminds me of a joke:

Guy #1: Did you hear about the big wreck up in Portland?

Guy #2: No. What happened?

Guy #1: A smart car got T-boned by a guy who was walking and texting. The smart car was totaled, but fortunately the iPhone was undamaged.
Smart car, dumb driver.

$90 a month?
I don't know where you live, but it costs me a little under $35 a month. (West Linn)
There's no excuse for dumping your bubblegum and making it someone else's problem.
Sadly it depends on the local jurisdiction. When we last lived in the city here ours was over $90 a month. We did have the option to take almost anything to the transfer station for very cheap but, it was because it was subsidized with our taxes. Out here in the county its quite pricey. Last time a Fridge died they wanted something like a C note to take it in. My solution was to used a saw to cut it in small pieces and in the dumpster it went a little at a time. Carpet is one that's bad here. VERY pricey to legally toss. So a lot of it ends up dumped sadly. The problem here is the stuff they can't recycle they haul over the pass to the eastern part of the state now. So of course this makes it pricey to get rid of. Still no excuse to dump it in the wild but, this problem is made by gov.

I dunno. A lot of what I've read in this thread seems to be a prime example of how effective social engineering is. A general push always toward making the general population more compliant, unwilling to act outside of constructed constraints and ever more reliant on our "betters" to dictate our lives.

Specifically, the tendency to latch onto one isolated and extreme incident and "normalizing" that extreme as the reasonably assumed risk to justify inaction.

Essentially... the extreme is no longer the outlier. "If even the remotest possibility of risk exists, it is reasonable to always avoid doing anything even remotely similar." type mentality. Along with that seems to come the collective group mentality of passing along and propagating that same "adjusted' mentality to others. That serves only to amplify and reinforce the social engineering construct.

What's the old saying? Something to the effect of, "evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing."(?)

Just saying... sometimes it would be nice to see more rational minds prevailing. IE., "No matter what you do in life, the remote risk that some crazy might pop out and shoot you for no reasonable cause exists. However, we all have an obligation not to stand by and compromise greater ideals out of unreasonable fear."

Not that it's going to change any minds, but something to ponder. Fear is a great motivator. "They" know that all too well and use that tactic relentlessly against us.

I have been reading this thread and I have a question for the person who approached the vehicle with their firearm drawn. I understand your point about good men doing nothing and quoting Edmund Burke and all that, but what have you done? This man was not threatening you or your family. While he was doing something illegal by potentially drinking and driving, approaching him wtih a gun drawn and yelling at him seems to be a poor action to take. Do you do the same thing when you see other folks breaking the law? If you did not have a gun, would you have still gotten involved? I have not read the entire thread yet but those are the questions I am asking myself.

And if you really want to do something, then why not do something really productive? You stated that the police would not come? Why? Have you thought about running for city office and actually being able to make real change? Your course of action just seems like a really poor choice. I mean if you feel that change is needed, why not become a member of your city council and get involved? You could demand police respond to quality of life crimes and have some sway.

In a perfect world.....our worlds not perfect and either are humans! People that made bad decisions, choose to live on the street and do drugs and drink instead of taking care of their responsibilities and working for a living, shouldn't be getting food or shelter on the tax payers dime.
To be fair, we subsidized the drug companies responsible for many of these addictions. We also cut treatment centers and shut down the state mental homes under Reagan. Reagan was an idiot if he thought that there would be no blowback from defunding mental health. Most of these folks are self medicating and have some really big mental health issues. It is silly to expect someone who does not have an accurate grasp of reality to get a job and work when they are not living in the same world the majority of us are.

It's not that simple. Farmers have logistics to consider when determining how to handle their product. It costs them money to harvest and process their crop, to package it, to ship it, and there needs to be some entity on the receiving end to distribute it. So what you are describing is farmers paying to harvest a product that they will never be compensated for. That's the same as doing your job for free and then paying your employer for the privilege.
Wage theft is the most common form of theft in the USA. Its also one of the least enforced.

Perhaps the government should have bought the food from the farmers and used it to help feed the poor and stock food banks? It would be a better use of out tax dollars than more military spending.

To be fair, we subsidized the drug companies responsible for many of these addictions. We also cut treatment centers and shut down the state mental homes under Reagan. Reagan was an idiot if he thought that there would be no blowback from defunding mental health. Most of these folks are self medicating and have some really big mental health issues. It is silly to expect someone who does not have an accurate grasp of reality to get a job and work when they are not living in the same world the majority of us are.
Drugs and drinking are a choice....I agree we need more nut house's

Wage theft is the most common form of theft in the USA. Its also one of the least enforced.

Perhaps the government should have bought the food from the farmers and used it to help feed the poor and stock food banks? It would be a better use of out tax dollars than more military spending.
I think you are going to fit right in with the PSU/Portland culture.

According to the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries , wage theft is around $1.5 million per year over the last 8 years (that include penalties which the employers were ordered to pay, but let's ignore that for the time being). Per capita income in Oregon in 2022 was $41,805. Oregon population in 2022 was estimated at 4,239,379.

Can you tell me the percentage of wage theft in Oregon from the above data? If not, I'm sure someone here can calculate it for you.

ETA: Retail theft from businesses in Oregon perpetrated by employees is an eye opening figure. Would you like to guess at the dollar amount?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads