JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like how the bikes think they don't have to follow traffic laws, and that 4 wheelers have to yield to them all the time. Any one who knows Down Town Potland knows where the Volvo dealer is. I had stopped in the parts dept to get parts for the wife's XC. as I was getting back in the car to head back up Burnside and home, I see a bike come flying down the hill run a stop and slam into a Jeep Wagoneer ( the full size ones,) biker flipped over the hood, flew 50 or so yards and crashed on the street next to the curb, dead as dead can be! No idea how fast he was going, but the dent in the Wagoneer was Humoungous, and I swear the Jeep rocked several feet to the right! Dude didn't look like he even tried to stop or even see the Jeep never moved an inch out of his way. I was told by one of the F.D. guys that they mop up dead biker splats on Burnside and the other steep hill streets about once a week! I can believe it.

Don't ever pull into a right turn lane, bike or not, they will come flying up and take your right of way, and kick out your tail lights, or kick a dent in your door! Miserable bastids think your in the wrong for not waiting for them to pass you by before making your legal right turn, yet they never even slow down, just charge right through like their gods. Seen a few broken legs from that!

Why do people get out of their car when confronted by people on foot?
After much thought post-viewing, I think it's the urge to get the trouble away from the vehicle.

Anything minor, I can heal faster than the car will. I don't want someone busting a window et al.
So my thoughts of that scenario, that's why I'd leave the car. But still "depends".

Like, I'm not sure being stuck in one small area, and it's limited protection, is better than being able to move myself.
If I'm rolling along, sure, keep going. But parked, or stuck in traffic, I dunno. The potential of being like candy in a piñata.

I'm not sure being stuck in one small area, and it's limited protection, is better than being able to move myself.
Probably depends on what you're willing to use the car for and what the people outside are willing and equipped to do. As for this video, he should have given them adequate room. Crowding them was a childish thing to do, and not at all befitting a person who is operating a 6000 pound vehicle.

I like how the bikes think they don't have to follow traffic laws, and that 4 wheelers have to yield to them all the time.
This bothers me as well - it's routine to observe a bike rider imagining it's a vehicle,and obeying those rules more or less, and then instantly switching to "oh look I'm a pedestrian now and there's a crosswalk that I can use to run this red light" mode, and then back, and so on. That's just not right.

I rode street bicycles for most of my 20's in Eugene primarily, but all over the state.

One of the reasons I no longer do so, other than location and age, is that I do not wish to be associated with those cyclists that think they can chameleon down the road and be whatever suits the intersection and traffic. That kind of behavior gives all cyclists a bad name, makes it hard for cagers to tell what the bike is going to do.

Add to that texting and driving and I'd sooner commute in a tank than a bicycle anymore.

In the Florida video, it appeared to me like the driver had reached his destination and was getting out for that reason. Not necessarily to confront the bicyclist. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But I agree that to get out of a vehicle for the purpose of confrontation is not the best way to go. In these modern times, let the other guy think he got the last word. Drive around the block. Don't show your weapon in one of these obvious verbal exchanges. The second you show it, you become the bad guy. These adult bike riders in Spandex tights, they aren't likely to pull a gun on you. Save the gun for the car jackers at the gas station who come at you quickly WITHOUT WORDS.

A lot of the adult bike riders have a chip on their shoulder. They are looking for some excuse to call out a motorist, it's in their nature.
That was my observation, and I'm also of the opinion that by the bicyclists knowing the car driver was armed is the ONLY reason the bicyclists didn't attempt to physically assault the driver.

In Wash., bicyclists by law have the same right to the road as motorists. BUT: Common sense dictates that it isn't always wise to compete with motor vehicles when riding a bike. Just saying. Even when the bike rider is doing everything right, stuff happens. Recently there was an incident in Seattle where a truck ran over a bicyclist making a right turn. The driver was up high, he simply didn't see the bike.

On the other hand, you have some of the adult bike riders who ride in the middle of a single lane going 15 mph. Knowingly blocking vehicular traffic. They are cashing in on their entitlement. But not using common sense. They are also breaking the law, because RCW 46.61.770 requires that when they aren't keeping up with the normal flow of traffic, they are required to pull as far over to the right as is safe to ride. To allow cars to pass, which some of them don't want to happen

Laws don't always get obeyed and law enforcement doesn't always have time to deal with it. I haven't read about it lately, but there was a time in recent memory where groups of militant (that's the appropriate word) adult bicycle riders would get together and block a chosen intersection in Seattle. Because it was a "protest," the police did nothing.

Various local governments have made investments in dedicated bike lanes. Usually along the edge of the road. Sometimes, they cross over lanes at intersections which confuses some motorists. It seems to me that making dedicated lanes for bicycles is an oblique admission by government that granting riders the same right to the road as motorists may not be entirely successful. Nor safe.

BUT: Common sense dictates that it isn't always wise to compete with motor vehicles when riding a bike. Just saying. Even when the bike rider is doing everything right, stuff happens.
Exactly but what keeps the bicyclists thinking they are superior and 'bulletproof' ? I mean it's a lot like mountain climbing in that I believe most long term bicyclists have probably either witnessed (or known) of a fellow bicyclist severely injured - or worse.

Sorry for the double post, but back to the OP.
In my case, stopping my car and exiting the vehicle to confront her would have pinned every possible negative outcome on me for being the instigator. Honor and pride not withstanding, I made the correct call. She was no threat to me. I was on my way home. I am not a LEO. Except maybe the one from Oz.
I think you made the right choice, for all the reasons you mention and more. In addition, its not illegal to abuse the American flag. So your confronting the woman would have been interpreted as you starting the incident. And you might have had to shoot the dog or the woman if she pulled a gun. if the women drew on you and you shot and killed her, it would probably not be considered SD, since you started it. You would probably do serious time for it.

Exactly but what keeps the bicyclists thinking they are superior and 'bulletproof'
A certain state of mind, I guess.

I'm thinking of the concept of, "defensive driving." Which surely would apply to riding a bicycle on roadways only much more important because the potential consequences are so much greater. Setting aside the riders who are antagonistic, there are some who are just clueless as to their own personal safety. They can't assume that every motorist is doing the right thing; they need to anticipate the road ahead just like vehicle drivers.

Don't ever pull into a right turn lane...
...without turning your head and physically looking to make sure you're not about to run somebody over. Not just bicycles but also cars, they just can't wait to get around you, they have to try to pass on the right while you are attempting to make a right turn.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top