JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes, be careful in situations where you think you should get involved. Like this one:

The victim was trying to be a good guy by calling out illegal dumpers in his community. His reward, he was intentionally run over and killed by one of the dumpers.

People seem to have less and less compunction to do evil deeds. It's the reality we live in now. So be careful about calling people out, you don't know what the outcome might be. You see something like this, call the cops and then forget about it. If the cops are overwhelmed and can't respond, that's life, you just have to move on and protect what is most valuable to you -- your life.

Random thoughts. Paying a dump fee is just one of the costs of modern life. I don't have any respect for cheap dicks who would dump trash in the woods. That's Third World behavior.

Re. stolen, then abandoned U-Haul rental trucks. Or the Home Depot rental trucks. Not long ago, I saw one cruising erratically and recklessly around an industrial area. It had a long, deep gash down one side. At the time, I wondered if it might be stolen. Later I decided it probably wouldn't be that difficult to rent one with stolen ID, then keep it for as long as you wanted (or until you got caught with it). A stolen rental truck would be good cover for burglars and other crooks during the commission of crimes.

I'm wondering how long a stolen vehicle may be driven around unnoticed. I also wonder if the license plates have to be changed to prolong the use of a stolen vehicle. I bring this up because the perp in this case has been driving a stolen truck since June. And, it was only uncovered as a stolen vehicle incident to the run-down of the victim. Presumably, if the perp hadn't run down the victim, he'd still be motoring happily along. Do the police still work at sussing out stolen vehicles? I'm thinking license plate readers might be a good idea. They have them in major cities. They even have non-commissioned patrol officers who drive around all day with readers scanning parked cars on streets. Basically, they are looking at scofflaws who have outstanding, unpaid parking citations. I'm thinking plate readers would be a good idea installed on the fronts of police cars, and at random places along roads. They could help the cops catch crooks in identified vehicles, they could catch stolen vehicles, they could catch expired plates, and with modern computer tech, they could probably ID stolen or switched plates. In NYC, the cops tie into plate readers at the entrances to bridges and tunnels to try to catch crooks.

There are other articles online in addition to the one I've linked above. One such noted that the victim was unarmed. I'm thinking, even if he had been, it might not have been protection against getting run over by a truck. He might've turned his back on the perp, in which case a gun wouldn't have helped. Yet if he didn't turn his back, even without a gun, he might've saved himself. The specific details of the run-down weren't provided.

Did evil people become more bold on their own, or did a permissive society embolden them? Good question. But now that we are in this mess, it explains in part why stores don't want to confront thieves and shoplifters. Because in the past, once caught, they might be meekly led away for detention until the police arrived. Now, they might do any darned thing, including causing injury to store employees. That unpredictability factor has become an aid to crooks.

Last Edited:
I just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business. Has kept me out of stupid situations pretty well. Wish others would do the same.

I'm of the firm belief that most sheep have never had to confront a wolf, and when they do, it doesn't end well. I'm also of the opinion that some sheep think they are sheepdogs, and they aren't. That also doesn't end well. A real sheepdog won't FAFO with a wolf if the sheep aren't in danger. There were no sheep to protect here, just some garbage. He should have let it be. The man had two daughters.

Just an opinion but I think the high cost of living has a great deal to do with the crazy crap and the crime.

$90 a month for garbage pick up so a lot of people just can't afford the bill. Gasoline goes up and more gas thefts, cars go up and more cars are stolen, food goes up and shoplifting goes up.

The culture turns to crime when the cost of living goes up.

Just an opinion but I think the high cost of living has a great deal to do with the crazy crap and the crime.

$90 a month for garbage pick up so a lot of people just can't afford the bill. Gasoline goes up and more gas thefts, cars go up and more cars are stolen, food goes up and shoplifting goes up.

Couldn't agree more. Things are unraveling.

Many places have free use of the county/city "dump" for residents. Seems like a good idea to reduce roadside trash and dumping.

Bruce

A friend had a nice ram pick up, stolen from his driveway in Portland couple weeks ago.

It was found missing some parts, but the cab was tested and the levels of meth and fentanyl inside caused the insurance company to total it.

For your own safety, keep your head on a swivel.

I don't commit crimes like theft / stealing and illegal drugs so....
I can't speak for a Why or How for the question of :
"Did evil people become more bold on their own , or did a permissive society embolden them ?"
Can't really speak on the nature of evil either.....but that may be best left as a subject for a different thread.

Crime however , has been with us forever.
I also have no doubt that debates over which is better ....being tough on crime or soft on crime , have been around just as long.

Something to consider here is :
The good old days ( for anything or any subject ) might not have been as good as memory or wishful thinking has painted it.

In any event ....
It is wise to consider the consequences , both actual and potential for any action you wish to undertake.
And while stepping up and doing what is right....is needed and important...
You also gotta do what is right for you...which may be something else entirely.
Andy

Last Edited:

It does for those with no character or integrity. The cost of living increase is the same for everyone. Crazy or not.

It does for those with no character or integrity. The cost of living increase is the same for everyone. Crazy or not.
Rich and powerful have no problem but for the middle class's and poor its a burden. The starving lost their character and integrity last dive into the dumpster.

Trillions in debt rot the culture.

I submit that the perp in this case is a known repeat offender, probably isn't driven to crime in an act of desperate poverty. He was already out on bond after arrest for previous warrants.

I just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business. Has kept me out of stupid situations pretty well.
Fred Meyer is where I sometimes become tempted to intervene or at least say stuff. When I see the furtive guy, black-dressed, hoodie, lower face swathed in a black scarf, no shopping cart, darting down this row and that, stopping and staring at junk ice cream, I think I may have observed a thief on the prowl. A couple of times, I've observed people walk out without paying. I've observed a store door monitor stop one of these black hoodie types who was stealing, and when caught loudly complained that he was being harassed. One time I was talking to a door monitor, and one of the black hoodie types ran out of the store. The monitor told me, "He comes in here every day."

So far, I've held my tongue and not involved myself.

A steady dose of minding my own florking business reduces the chances encounters with the unstable populace for me.

I have no expectation that I'm going to chance someone's mind on their behavior. That was for their Mother & Father to sort out.

Rich and powerful have no problem but for the middle class's and poor its a burden. The starving lost their character and integrity last dive into the dumpster.

Trillions in debt rot the culture.
There are plenty of economic lower class to middle class people who find a way, eventhough. The number of those that can't make it as opposed to choose to steal is pretty low.

When stores can't stay open and supply local jobs, who's going to complain the loudest?

Fred Meyer is where I sometimes become tempted to intervene or at least say stuff. When I see the furtive guy, black-dressed, hoodie, lower face swathed in a black scarf, no shopping cart, darting down this row and that, stopping and staring at junk ice cream, I think I may have observed a thief on the prowl. A couple of times, I've observed people walk out without paying. I've observed a store door monitor stop one of these black hoodie types who was stealing, and when caught loudly complained that he was being harassed. One time I was talking to a door monitor, and one of the black hoodie types ran out of the store. The monitor told me, "He comes in here every day."

So far, I've held my tongue and not involved myself.
Oh ,don't you worry Mr. Merkt, the cost of stolen goods and food will simply be added to the price of your cart. And that's just a simple fact.

It just isn't worth it. I hate illegal dumpers too and especially if it's in your neighborhood or on your land. But the question is, are they just illegally dumping or are they violent criminals trying to get rid of evidence? Or are they straight crazy? Most people wouldn't even consider that it might be criminals trying to ditch evidence or a full blown nut job.

But with that said, it's a whole lot harder to not get involved if someone is dumping on your actual land.

Choose wisely and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top