JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
You all missed the one other difference that makes .40S&W appealing to law enforcement over a 9mm or .45 acp: The increase in bullet weight over 9mm, at a higher sectional density than .45 acp, gives it better windshield and car door penetration. That's the real difference; it's momentum and density, not muzzle energy. A majority of police-involved shootings take place around cars, specifically during traffic stops, so that sells to them.

You all missed the one other difference that makes .40S&W appealing to law enforcement over a 9mm or .45 acp: The increase in bullet weight over 9mm, at a higher sectional density than .45 acp, gives it better windshield and car door penetration. That's the real difference; it's momentum and density, not muzzle energy. A majority of police-involved shootings take place around cars, specifically during traffic stops, so that sells to them.

Pretty sure they author mentioned that in the article about barriers and penetration, how cops are more likely to have to shoot through barriers. But acknowledged that for most civilians, that is not going to be an issue.

OT: I have always preferred 9mm over .40 or 45 mostly for the same reasons stated in the article. I've had limited time with the .40 but wouldn't be opposed to it either. But as a main carry piece, training with 9mm is so much cheaper that for a broke college student I couldn't imagine buying 1000 rounds of .40 every so often at the current prices. I'd never be able to afford anything else.

I don't care what anyone else said, I don't feel any downgraded with 9mm.

Will I feel downgraded if someone point .45 at me and I point 9mm at him? **** no. :s0112: (hope that never happens) :s0131:

I was most impressed by the fact that he admitted that he was wrong. Most humans have a really hard time doing that. I shoot .40 because I'm a 200lbs+ and don't have much problem with recoil and follow up shot placement. I probably would have a quicker follow up with a 9mm, but I like the .40, and Im all set up in .40
One needs to shoot what they are comfortable with and what they can shoot often. If you feel comfortable with a 9mm and its what you can afford, by all means just get out and practice. If you have a .40 but cant really afford to put a lot of rounds through the pipe, or the recoil affects your POI, then maybe 9mm is better for you.
I really don't want to get shot with a .22LR, let alone a 9mm or .40

I know that if you put the little lead pill in the right place that caliber doesn't matter, and I have loved the 10mm cartridge ever since I first shot one.
I was also convinced that 40SW was actually a secret code for 40 Short and Weak.

That being said, I own just as many nines as I do 40's or 10's, but not as many as my 45's.
I am also willing to admit that not everyone I have passed a 40 to has liked it just as much as the 9 or the 45.

I guess the point I thought of before I started pecking keys here on the keyboard, is that I like recoil in my handguns, and that because I shoot snappier calibers than the 40 all the time, that for some people like me, the 40 is pleasant just like the 9mm is for others.

So, I suppose you carried a .38 Spcl. revolver until about 1985 or so? And you now carry a Glock.

PD are rarely at the forefront of tactics and equipment.

I attribute .40 S&W's success with departments across the country to be due to good salesmanship rather than any inherent advantage of the cartridge.

You quote my post and follow it up with garbage that has no basis in fact.
Everything I posted is true and indisputable.
If you like the little 9 that's great, but posting horsesh1t because you did not like my post is weak.

Everything to do with guns is disputable. Like the energy thing already pointed out.
The follow up shots? depends on the person rather it is miniscule or not.I don't see a problem with the 40S&W,but have strong hands.Some may not like it.

Not as far as the "salesmanship" part being bull hockey,I call bull hockey.I've seen this many times.Things changed to something different but not always better.
Why? Some salesman and a engineer want to sell something.
S&W just came up with the "latest & greatest" caliber.Why not sell all the cop shops along with the FBI? Heck we're paying the bill anyway.
Not BS at all,just showing you where you were mistaken.

hi kLewis,

interesting... :huh: what exactly do you mean by 'higher sectional density' ???

.40 S&W bullet's weights are comparable to the .45 ACP up to 200gr. the .40 is of a higher velocity, thus momentum... .45 is wider in diameter.

do you mean the 'higher sectional density' meaning it's a longer and thinner projectile than a .45 for a given bullet weight???

wouldn't a 9mm 147gr +P be comparable to say a .40 165gr or 180gr against windshields and car doors???

most duty ammo are jacketed hollow points with a soft lead core... I imagine deeper penetration with .40 than a .45 from the increased velocity alone.

Another encouraging thing about that article is that the 9mm is available in the very small guns for concealing. I have both the Glock 19 and 23, but am finding myself carrying my Kel Tec PF9 more and more because it's very small and light. The Oregon Police Academy in Monmouth claims that the average shooting occurs at a distance of ten feet or less. I don't have any trouble hitting a target at that distance with "mini" 9mm.

I love when people talk about smaller calibers as if shooting a 9mm makes you feminine or something! The day one of the caliber cowboys takes a shot from a 9mm, or **** even a .380 and laughs, ill start wearing a dress.

Regardless of which bullet is "better" is all comes down to what the end user is confident with.

I'm not confident of the 9mmP 124gr +p gold dots I normally carry. But I'm equally unsure of 40S&W and .45 ACP. My opinion is all (reasonable) handgun calibers suck, all pretty much equally.

If I knew I was going to get in a fight, I'd bring a rifle. Most men don't survive hits to the head and center torso from a rifle.

H

I'm not confident of the 9mmP 124gr +p gold dots I normally carry. But I'm equally unsure of 40S&W and .45 ACP. My opinion is all (reasonable) handgun calibers suck, all pretty much equally.

If I knew I was going to get in a fight, I'd bring a rifle. Most men don't survive hits to the head and center torso from a rifle.

H

Bingo! Give that man a C-gar.

H

While I do agree with your statement a ar pistol or a draco is a little hard to conceal. That being, my confidence is in 45acp.

There was a reason I said 'reasonable'. Just cuz some yahoo chambered a one shot pistol in. 7.62 NATO doesn't make it a reasonable weapon.

H

H

last time I checked, there isn't a war/conflict going on in the NW. I doubt that many people who are forced to use a gun to defend themselves "know" that they are going into a fight.

as for the OP, while I have never fired a shot another human being and I hope I never will, I have every confidence in my EMP 9mm.

I used to have a G19, now I have a G23. The .40 cal Glock is definitely snappier and slower to get back on target, frankly I'm thinking the switch was maybe not a good one. Funny thing is I really like my Glock 35. Obviously the .40 packs a bit more punch but perhaps this is outweighed by the 9mm's easier shoot-ability? Personal call in my opinion.

^^^I am grateful I went the other way. I use to own and carry a Glock 22, 23 and 27, also a Kahr P40 now I roll with a Glock 19. The two things I learned from my experience with the 40s is 1) I like 9mm better and 2) the Glock 19/23 is the perfect CCW sized weapon.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads