JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why should they be?

Seems you need less material and the material doesn't need to withstand the pressures a centerfire does.

Probably just supply and demand as has been mentioned.
This is a bizarre little tangent that I can't substantiate.
You're probably better off buying a double action rimfire new vs. Pre owned. The trigger is the key to my theory. Most of the used rimfire revolvers offered for sale have already been identified as having a less than perfect double action pull. The worst ones have further been messed with by an owner or 2. Typically, this " custom work " results in light strikes. At least when buying a new one, you have some recourse through the manufacturer.

617 Smith is about the same price as a 686, I believe. They're not really that much MORE expensive.
If you buy a good one, the .22 version takes as much material and work as it's centerfire counterpart.

You can buy a not so good one for a lot less money. Like a New England Firearms, an old Harrington & Richardson, Charter Arms, maybe an old High Standard which has a die cast frame and for sure didn't cost as much to make as a .38 Special. I've sold off most of my expensive handguns, I found I could have as much fun with an inexpensive H&R .22 revolver as I could with a fine S&W.

There is a parallel with some .22 semi auto pistols. For example, when the Colt Ace .22 was commercially available, it must've cost somewhere around what a 1911 .45 cost. Because they were both all steel guns with X amount of forging and machining involved in their manufacture.

Today, there are 1911-like .22 semi auto pistols out there, die cast frames, that cost hundreds of dollars less than many all steel 1911 in .45 / 10mm / 9mm / .38 Super.

A good quality revolver requires expensive materials and a lot of hand work. I would guess that just as much hand work goes into a .22LR as a .38 Spl. Some of us like to shoot revolvers but can't handle the more powerful calibers due to grip issues, ie, arthritis in our fingers. Also, shooting a .22LR or .22 Mag revolver is fun and a lot cheaper for the ammo. In the end, I would believe that the pricing is a marketing decision, based on who knows what kind of thought processes.

How does a, for example, S&W J-Frame .22 use less material than any other chambering?
Not familiar with that particular model. Is the cylinder and barrel the same thickness as its centerfire counterparts?

Is this the same for other manufacturers as well?

All external dimensions are exactly the same.

Yes, unless it's a model specifically for the .22LR ie: Ruger Wrangler.
I'll have to take a look at the ones we use at DRRC. I've never compared them side by side. I think we've got a GP100 or two.

Smith & Wesson model 34 in 22 rimfire and a model 36 in 38 special. Both J frame revolvers. The model 34 is a six shot and model 36 is a five shot.
. IMG_0222.jpeg

I'll have to take a look at the ones we use at DRRC. I've never compared them side by side. I think we've got a GP100 or two.
I don't know what DRRC is, but I worked for a holster manufacturer. I've blueprinted several from various manufacturers and created CAD files for them. I've designed and machined many pressure forming molds for them, a Ruger GP100, S&W L-Frame, etc. all carry the same external dimensions...they have to!

With that said, from a manufacturing perspective, creating a GP100 is the same no matter what the final chambering is. They use the same amount of material, machine time, operator time and final assembly and finishing time whether forged then final machined, or completely machined from billet.

If anything, due to the smaller bore diameter, you're actually receiving more material in the final product than a larger chambering!

I don't know what DRRC is, but I worked for a holster manufacturer. I've blueprinted several from various manufacturers and created CAD files for them. I've designed and machined many pressure forming molds for them, a Ruger GP100, S&W L-Frame, etc. all carry the same external dimensions...they have to!

With that said, from a manufacturing perspective, creating a GP100 is the same no matter what the final chambering is. They use the same amount of material, machine time, operator time and final assembly and finishing time whether forged then final machined, or completely machined from billet.

If anything, due to the smaller bore diameter, you're actually receiving more material in the final product than a larger chambering!
Interesting!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top