JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you reload a 9mm round then my question is, why do you do it? Does reloading a 9mm makes it cheaper than bulk ammo? Does it improve accuracy?

I understand that reloading 12 gauge shells or hunting ammo like 308 or 223 makes it more accurate and cheaper

I only shoot either 9mm or 22lr. I am a complete noob when it comes to reloading and want to understand the benefits of reloading a 9mm.

Thanks in advance

If you reload a 9mm round then my question is, why do you do it? Does reloading a 9mm makes it cheaper than bulk ammo? Does it improve accuracy?

I understand that reloading 12 gauge shells or hunting ammo like 308 or 223 makes it more accurate and cheaper

I only shoot either 9mm or 22lr. I am a complete noob when it comes to reloading and want to understand the benefits of reloading a 9mm.

Thanks in advance
With current powder and primer prices... I haven't done the math lately for 9mm, but I highly imagine there isn't enough cost savings to make it worthwhile, unless you just enjoy reloading and have a lot of free time. I could be wrong.

However... being able to match preferred projectiles with a preferred load your firearm likes to eat for accuracy and projectile performance is still a great advantage.

I'm still reloading off pre-pandemic priced powders, projectiles and primers.. and it's definitely cheaper than factory, but I really only do SD loads these days. Range ammo I'm using factory to ration what components I still have.

Right now, like @Yarome says, there is not much cost difference between component prices and factory ammo at 25 cents per round. The real benefit comes when your factory ammo is 25 cents per round more than what it costs you to load.
However, everything is going up. Factory ammo is 2-3 times more expensive than it was just three years ago, and components are 3-5 times more expensive. If you think you're getting priced out now, just wait - you ain't seen nothing.

Right now, like @Yarome says, there is not much cost difference between component prices and factory ammo at 25 cents per round. The real benefit comes when your factory ammo is 25 cents per round more than what it costs you to load.
However, everything is going up. Factory ammo is 2-3 times more expensive than it was just three years ago, and components are 3-5 times more expensive. If you think you're getting priced out now, just wait - you ain't seen nothing.
I don't understand.
Do you think components are going to climb further? Or ammo?

I stopped loading 9 a long time ago because it's just too cheap to buy new BUT, I still keep on hand a LOT of components. I have lived through several panic shortages. So far always had enough in stock to keep shooting but, if one comes that goes on too long? I can still roll. Every shooter should learn how to roll and keep a good supply of the parts. Stored properly it will outlive you and its nice to have it if needed.

I stopped loading 9 a long time ago because it's just too cheap to buy new BUT, I still keep on hand a LOT of components. I have lived through several panic shortages. So far always had enough in stock to keep shooting but, if one comes that goes on too long? I can still roll. Every shooter should learn how to roll and keep a good supply of the parts. Stored properly it will outlive you and its nice to have it if needed.
I have a boatload of components to reload 9mm, but its currently less expensive to buy factory new, for plinking anyway.
That is why I have also bought a boatload of factory 9mm.

The real savings in reloading comes when I reload hollow points. I have read that hollow points are supposed to be more accurate by moving the CG back further toward the base, but in my experience, I just don't see it, in 9mm.

I do shoot HP's in my G32 (357 Sig) and they are very accurate, I do believe more accurate than a 9mm, even though the projectile is the same diameter. And reloading for the Sig represents a massive savings because factory ammo is running Maby $700+ a case.

Last Edited:
I don't understand.
Do you think components are going to climb further? Or ammo?
It seems unimaginable, but yes.
When I was paying $48/lb for H1000 or Retumbo just three years ago, if you had asked me whether I could see it going to $75, I'd have said, "aw, hail no!"
And here we are.
The world is insane, and Bitcoin will likely top $70K.

It seems unimaginable, but yes.
When I was paying $48/lb for H1000 or Retumbo just three years ago, if you had asked me whether I could see it going to $75, I'd have said, "aw, hail no!"
And here we are.
The world is insane, and Bitcoin will likely top $70K.
You nailed it. "The world has gone insane".

Not too long-ago Bitcoin dropped below 17k, I thought it was done for. But now 67K - WTF?

I have a boatload of components to reload 9mm, but its less expensive to buy factory new, for plinking anyway.
That is why I have also bought a boatload of factory 9mm.

The real savings in reloading comes when I reload hollow points. I have read that hollow points are supposed to be more accurate by moving the CG back further toward the base, but in my experience, I just don't see it, in 9mm.

I do shoot HP's in my G32 (357 Sig) and they are very accurate, I do believe more accurate than a 9mm, even though the projectile is the same diameter. And reloading for the Sig represents a massive savings because factory ammo is running Maby $700+ a case.
Don't know much about accuracy in my 9s as none of them are used for anything close to "match" shooting. For me shooting at 50ft max, I have never been able to tell the difference in any factory ammo. I do keep high end factory stuff (Speer GDHP) for defensive shooting but, so little of that is ever shot never cared about trying to roll it. I bought a bunch of the "good stuff" so long ago I can't even remember when I bought it.

Last Edited:

Thanks in advance
$2/100 loading essentially Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman type loads etc is why. No big deal.
I started reloading 9mm when I was 16 and have hardly shot much .22 in my life, considering it a waste of my time.

It's still cheaper for me to reload as I've accumulated a lot of pre-pandemic components.

Doesn't mean I don't grab a case or two when it's a smoking deal.

It's a toss right now. I shoot USPSA, and I see a lot of people shooting Carry Optic and Limited Optic with factory 9mm. If I didn't have a pile of components I would shoot
factory too in the Minor power factor divisions.
Where it's worthwhile to reload for me is Major 9 for Open division and ammo specific
to my gun for PCC.

If all I shot was .22 and 9mm I'd not reload. But I own, load for and shoot somewhere near 40 different calibers. 9mm being one of them so reloading is just part of the process. As far a reloading in general I believe it's better ammo and all my guns seem to like it. Beyond that, I own an ammunition company and my customers seem to like it as well.

hardly shot much .22 in my life, considering it a waste of my time.
??? Discuss. :s0140:

No, actually I'm serious. What kind of a sick, demented mind doesn't just love some .22? It's CHEAP entertainment. Or is it me who has the sick, demented mind?

Inquiring minds want to know.

If all I shot was .22 and 9mm I'd not reload.
This right here. Like some others have responded, I've got a pile of 9mm projectiles with some powder, primers and empty cases, along with a set of (so far) unused carbide dies, just in case.

Thanks in advance
Because I like loading my own ammo. I'd even load ammo for someone else. Or supervise someone else at my bench and let them load their ammo. I get pleasure from shiny clean brass just out of the tumbler that was dirty a couple hours before. And pleasure from the processes that follow up to the point the cases are getting filled with powder, bullet seated, and then placing that lovely, shiny, completed cartridge in the plastic box. I get a "charge" out of going to the closet and pulling out MY rounds in those little plastic boxes for what ever arms I'm taking to the range that day. Oo, May need a moment :oops: , to quickly get the rest of that .357 mag brass on the table trimmed. Mmmm. Okay, I'm back now. I've always liked changing my own oil, doing brakes, packing wheel bearings on the boat trailer, etc.
No, actually I'm serious. What kind of a sick, demented mind doesn't just love some .22? It's CHEAP entertainment. Or is it me who has the sick, demented mind?
Me? I don't mind it. And sometimes I do take one of my old scoped .22 rifles to the range for a little pop-pop- action after shooting the big(er) calibers and it's kinda fun/funny after shooting .223, .30-06, 6.5 Swede. what with no recoil, and report to speak of.

I am just going to say what I have always said! A GUN is like a woman, no two are alike, each one likes something different. If you want them to work well, you treat them well. If you want a gun to work well, you feed them what they like.

I am just going to say what I have always said! A GUN is like a woman, no two are alike, each one likes something different. If you want them to work well, you treat them well. If you want a gun to work well, you feed them what they like.
Not saying you're wrong there. Just the visual.... :s0112:

I've done my best over these thirty something years to feed my wife well. :D

I have been reloading for over 45 years. In that time, I have reloaded very little 9mm. It is just too cheap to buy. But I use the same bullet powders, and primers in 38 Super, 9mm Largo, and 38 ACP. When 9mm got hard to find and over $1 a round, I dug out my 9mm dies. Right now Primers cost only .05 cents less than loaded 9mm. DR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top