JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
617 Smith is about the same price as a 686, I believe. They're not really that much MORE expensive.... But they certainly are unreasonable at full retail

Ruger, Colt, and S&W seem to be more expensive.

Even in the case of the LCR example, WHY are they so expensive?

I've been looking into them for some time and the prices for a .22 just don't make sense to me.

They way I see it is you're getting a revolver built on a .357 frame that shoots .22lr so it's way WAY overbuilt. You'll probably never wear it out even if you tried. And after about 1000rds of .22 instead of .357, it's completely paid for itself and you still get the "big boy" revolver shooting experience.

I bought my Smith 17 for about $500 used and have since put at least that many rounds through it very happily. I think they're worth it, you just gotta plug your nose when you open your wallet and jump

Ruger, Colt, and S&W seem to be more expensive.

Even in the case of the LCR example, WHY are they so expensive?

I've been looking into them for some time and the prices for a .22 just don't make sense to me.
Semi niche audience
.38spl will sell to almost anyone. Even non gun people.
A rimfire wheel gun is almost exclusively for real firearms aficionados.

Because they're cheap (to shoot) and fun to shoot and look good doing it!

My Ruger SP101 4.2" in 22lr; hand polished with eBay grips from Thailand:
1711084655289.png

1711084717469.png

1711084758221.png

Okay, I really just wanted to post my pictures!

If you're really interested in 22lr revolver shooting, the Ruger Wrangler and Heritage single action options are a much lower price point for entry and a very similar experience.

I finally handled a new Colt King Cobra .22 Target at the local Sportsman's Warehouse the other day (a 6" Model, no less!). The price was $999.99. While that seems like a lot, just for fun I compared that price (in 2024 dollars) to the $279.99 I paid for my prized 6" Diamondback .22 back in 1980 (White Elephant price, if I recall correctly, retail was around $325). I then ran the 1980 price through an online inflation calculator, and it indicated $280 in 1980 is the equivalent of $1,054 today. So maybe, the "high prices" on .22 revolvers are due to inflation for those of us with long memories of the good old days. :cool:

Revolvers require a high(er) level of precision machining. The finishes are also typically much more expensive.

Any button pusher can machine a slide and parkerize it.

Why are .22LR DA revolvers more expensive than their centerfire counterparts?
For 22LR DA revolvers which are built on the same platform (say a K frame S&W or Ruger GP or SP) as their centerfire counterparts, it would seem their production cost would be in the same ballpark, although I imagine they sell more CF in these lines so economies of scale of production should allow a better margin, or the ability to offer a lower price against a lower cost basis while still maintaining their desired profit margin.

If this is true, you may end up with a higher price on a "similar" product (same product line, just RF vs. CF) given their higher costs of production on the lower volume product.

Also, if the supply is limited for these 22LR DA revolvers relative to demand, compared to the similar CF models, prices will reflect this.

As owner of a 617, an early 17, and a GP100, all in 22LR, they are just as valued and treasured to me as their centerfire counterparts they share space in the safe with. I enjoy them all!

Because they're cheap (to shoot) and fun to shoot and look good doing it!

My Ruger SP101 4.2" in 22lr; hand polished with eBay grips from Thailand:
View attachment 1848303

View attachment 1848304

View attachment 1848305

Okay, I really just wanted to post my pictures!

If you're really interested in 22lr revolver shooting, the Ruger Wrangler and Heritage single action options are a much lower price point for entry and a very similar experience.
Looks very nice!

Most likely reason is that there is more material needed to manufacture. A 17 or 22 cal barrel of the same diameter as a 357 cal barrel weight less, therefore requires more material. Simple economics, not really!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top