JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another part of the equation is a lot of say, relatively new gun owners started out shooting low price (at one time anyway) but popular, widely available ammo such as 9mm, .223, X39 etc, and possibly never even considered reloading, as all they were doing was buying cheap cans of it and blasting away.

On the 'flip side' a lot of us started out shooting bolts, levers, revolvers etc that used somewhat more expensive ammo to begin with.

There is also the aspect many of us started reloading as we saw not only the advantages of it but the ability to load 'specialized' ammo that was NOT available for the particular calibers we shot, such as reduced velocities with lighter bullets.

Bottom line is a lot is us who reload will most likely continue to do so as we shoot in a more refined, traditional manner, and not much will change with us, and possibly those who were indoctrinated on the cheap, high volume ammo may shoot less, or quit entirely due to price and lack of availability.

Another part of the equation is a lot of say, relatively new gun owners started out shooting low price (at one time anyway) but popular, widely available ammo such as 9mm, .223, X39 etc, and possibly never even considered reloading, as all they were doing was buying cheap cans of it and blasting away.

On the 'flip side' a lot of us started out shooting bolts, levers, revolvers etc that used somewhat more expensive ammo to begin with.

There is also the aspect many of us started reloading as we saw not only the advantages of it but the ability to load 'specialized' ammo that was NOT available for the particular calibers we shot, such as reduced velocities with lighter bullets.

Bottom line is a lot is us who reload will most likely continue to do so as we shoot in a more refined, traditional manner, and not much will change with us, and possibly those who were indoctrinated on the cheap, high volume ammo may shoot less, or quit entirely due to price and lack of availability.
YES!! For as long as I have been shooting I have known at least a few "serious" shooters. The kind that would shoot at LONG distances both for fun and hunting. They were the kind who would spend time tweaking loads to one particular gun to the point of getting them to shoot VERY impressive groups. To get the same with factory ammo was at best pricey, and often not really even possible.

I've been loading 9mm for the last couple of days. Tomorrow I'll switch over to 38 Special and then finish off the 9mm after the Rickreall show while I'm waiting for my next batch of brass and powder to arrive.

I've been loading 9mm for the last couple of days. Tomorrow I'll switch over to 38 Special and then finish off the 9mm after the Rickreall show while I'm waiting for my next batch of brass and powder to arrive.
Just curious what you are using load data wise for your customers?

Does reloading a 9mm makes it cheaper than bulk ammo? Does it improve accuracy?
What gets lost in these discussions is that all of us live with different circumstances and have different priorities. One person may have an abundance of financial resources and very little free time, the next person may be the opposite. One person may only shoot occasionally and the goal is to place a hit anywhere on the steel target. The other shoots 1000's of rounds per year concentrating on "A" zone size targets.

Yes. I can reload 9mm cheaper than buying bulk. Currently I am paying .14 cents for the components to make a round of 9mm. The cheapest I have recently seen brass cased 9mm is .22.

Does reloading improve accuracy?
Yes, it can.. My reloads are more accurate in my firearm than the cheap bulk ammo that I have tried. I am sure I could purchase more expensive manufactured ammo that exceeds the ammo I produce at .14..

Part of the reason the reloads are more accurate is because you can tailor the ammunition to that specific firearm. For example, the overall length of the round of ammunition being reloaded can be varied depending on the exact size of the chamber it is going to be placed in. My CZ's have a shorter chamber than many other pistol manufacturers. It is not unusual for CZ owners who reload to ream the chamber on their handguns so it will accommodate a wider variety of projectile size or shapes.

Another example would be the brand or the exact amount of gunpowder used. When creating a new "recipe" for a new projectile or a new type of powder that I have never previously used, I like many other reloaders create a "ladder". I will assemble 10 rounds using 4.0 grains of powder, and also 10 rounds using 4.2 gr, 10 rounds using 4.4, 10 of 4.6 and 10 of 4.8.
I then go to the range and shoot five of each, bench-rested, each at a new target and I look for the powder load that results in the smallest group. I will repeat the process a few days later for comparison. That will typically result in tighter grouping ammunition than I can cheaply purchase off of a shelf.

Is this level of time spent reloading and going down the rabbit hole worth it to most people? Probably not, especially 9mm.
If just range shooting steel targets or similar the accuracy difference for most of us shooting handguns is probably not noticable between ammunitions. But if your purpose is to shoot NRA Bullseye type targets and constantly track your scores, then yes, you want consistency and to eliminate variables (I take the time to separate brass cases by headstamp prior to reloading).
Some people enjoy exploring the reloading rabbit hole and the multitude of variations, others simply want to purchase some ammunition and shoot it. Nothing wrong with either approach.

I find it interesting how many compare the cost of buying 9mm ammo to how it is 'not worth their time' to reload.

I understand this if the person does NOT reload at all but if the person does is reloading just a chore and not a hobby?

As I have said before reloading is an extension of my interest in firearms and therefore it IS a hobby and the time invested is as enjoyable as the time I take shooting the ammo !
I enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting! But When I can reload 38 super, 9mm largo, 38 ACP, 38 spl, and like rounds for the exact same price as a round of 9mm, I can buy 9mm for .20 to .26 cents where the other calibers average .70 cents ea. Its just prioritizing where I get the most bang for my time.
Now when 9mm hit $1 a round, I was loading 9mm. DR

What gets lost in these discussions is that all of us live with different circumstances and have different priorities. One person may have an abundance of financial resources and very little free time, the next person may be the opposite. One person may only shoot occasionally and the goal is to place a hit anywhere on the steel target. The other shoots 1000's of rounds per year concentrating on "A" zone size targets.

Yes. I can reload 9mm cheaper than buying bulk. Currently I am paying .14 cents for the components to make a round of 9mm. The cheapest I have recently seen brass cased 9mm is .22.

Does reloading improve accuracy?
Yes, it can.. My reloads are more accurate in my firearm than the cheap bulk ammo that I have tried. I am sure I could purchase more expensive manufactured ammo that exceeds the ammo I produce at .14..

Part of the reason the reloads are more accurate is because you can tailor the ammunition to that specific firearm. For example, the overall length of the round of ammunition being reloaded can be varied depending on the exact size of the chamber it is going to be placed in. My CZ's have a shorter chamber than many other pistol manufacturers. It is not unusual for CZ owners who reload to ream the chamber on their handguns so it will accommodate a wider variety of projectile size or shapes.

Another example would be the brand or the exact amount of gunpowder used. When creating a new "recipe" for a new projectile or a new type of powder that I have never previously used, I like many other reloaders create a "ladder". I will assemble 10 rounds using 4.0 grains of powder, and also 10 rounds using 4.2 gr, 10 rounds using 4.4, 10 of 4.6 and 10 of 4.8.
I then go to the range and shoot five of each, bench-rested, each at a new target and I look for the powder load that results in the smallest group. I will repeat the process a few days later for comparison. That will typically result in tighter grouping ammunition than I can cheaply purchase off of a shelf.

Is this level of time spent reloading and going down the rabbit hole worth it to most people? Probably not, especially 9mm.
If just range shooting steel targets or similar the accuracy difference for most of us shooting handguns is probably not noticable between ammunitions. But if your purpose is to shoot NRA Bullseye type targets and constantly track your scores, then yes, you want consistency and to eliminate variables (I take the time to separate brass cases by headstamp prior to reloading).
Some people enjoy exploring the reloading rabbit hole and the multitude of variations, others simply want to purchase some ammunition and shoot it. Nothing wrong with either approach.
Well said. I just want loads that clearly show that if I miss the problem is me and my human frailties. Plus I just like it, so it's worth it to me.

Add in casting and powder coating and the price falls a bit and the pride in product and performance goes up. Dig dirty lead out of a berm and recondition it and send it down a barrel accurately again? You bet I'm down with that in ANY caliber.

It's really not about the nickles and dimes for me. I wish it were cheaper right now but it ain't and that's just a fact. If I just need one round and it works perfectly, it's really not that expensive at 15 cents.

How cheap is it when you can no longer purchase?

You watch. Sooner or later there'll be another shortage and once again there'll be people bubbleguming about not being able to buy off the shelf or having to pay .50 to $1 per round when they CAN purchase it.

Once again I'll roll my eyes because when it was cheap they didn't want to get into reloading nor stock up on cases of loaded ammo when it was cheap.

I don't do it for accuracy, but there is a noticable difference between my handloaded 125grn TC Blue Bullet and any of the lower priced popular factory loads. Maybe consistency is a better word.

A good many of us have been reloading for most of our lives, and in my case that's been over fifty years. My advantage was my Dad got me my first reloading outfit when I was 15. And I was a natural gun nut. If there is a firearm in my safe (aside from shotgun and rimfire) there are dies for it

I also teach reloading classes on occasion, and one thing I ask people is "Why didn't you get started sooner"? Most say it's just too expensive. That has been the standard answer over the years, given a historically low cost of ammo and the frequency that many people shoot.

If all you are ever going to shoot is a 9mm and a rimfire, there is no good economic reason for you to get into reloading. It's like my shotguns. I'm not a big Trap or Skeet shooter. I hunt birds. I will take some target loads to the trap range before hunting season and get brushed up, then in the fall hit the field. After that, the shotguns get tucked away until the following year. It just doesn't make sense for me to reload for shotgun.

I enjoy reloading and typically do it in winter when the weather is not conducive to working outside. I also cast bullets for 9mm, 45acp and 45 Colt. I don't care if it makes sense financially because I like doing it and don't want to die sitting on my arse.

Everybody doesn't have a lifetime supply of 9mm ammunition. Poor dumb bastards.
If you spent probably $2,000 not too long ago on primers and powder, you essentially do, and about 10 other calibers also.

Everybody doesn't have a lifetime supply of 9mm ammunition. Poor dumb bastards.
If you spent probably $2,000 not too long ago on primers and powder, you essentially do, and about 10 other calibers also.
I probably have a lifetime supply, but I just keep buying more, hoping I'll live longer.:s0086:

You watch. Sooner or later there'll be another shortage and once again there'll be people bubbleguming about not being able to buy off the shelf or having to pay .50 to $1 per round when they CAN purchase it.

Once again I'll roll my eyes because when it was cheap they didn't want to get into reloading nor stock up on cases of loaded ammo when it was cheap.
Humans prove over and over again they have AMAZINGLY short memories. The ammo shortages are only one of the great examples. Most of those who get caught pants down at every new panic shortage had lived through at least one if not more of these. They ignored it when stuff came back. The one constant to those who get caught is they get angry at everyone else. Its a conspiracy, greed, hoarders, blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is still the same. They ignored history and get to repeat it. :s0092:

Over the last several "shortages", one thing I had noticed is that a good many people who don't reload, and / or were too young to know better, would run out and buy lots of ammo when it became available. Then they would run off to the range (or wherever) and shoot until the ammo was gone. Then the next "shortage" would hit. Then they cried and moaned, a great gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. They also took offense at the "Scalpers" at gun shows. The scalpers were just making a buck off of people that just couldn't figure it out. I hated the scalpers because they scooped up everything they could get their hands on, leaving little to nothing for the rest of us.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top