JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hated the scalpers because they scooped up everything they could get their hands on, leaving little to nothing for the rest of us.
OR some had been sitting on large amounts of 'horded' ammo (or components) not thinking at the time they bought it they would ever be selling any of it, and then the massive shortages hit, they saw others selling for what they may have never expected and decided why sit on it so they parted with some of theirs while the 'getting was good'.

I heard of some who had been setting on ammo from many years ago and they never expected to get what they could for it.

Last Edited:
Why reload 9mm? Strictly Hypothetical...

Factory new 1k 9mm 115gr fmj rn brass case =$230 +/-
Reloaded 1K 9mm 115 fmj rn brass case = $130 +/- for primer, projo, powder only

Perhaps load 9mm+p HP for realistic recoil training with your EDC as expensive carry ammo at about 3-4 reloads : 1 carry round

If you were so inclined to NFA, get some 147gr projos and make custom subsonic 9mm for suppressed use

Maybe you are a competitive type and run a 9mm at a match, you might fine tune the load to be a consistent cycle in your 2011 with minimal recoil

Shortages? What shortages?

STRICTLY HYPOTHETICAL

Over the last several "shortages", one thing I had noticed is that a good many people who don't reload, and / or were too young to know better, would run out and buy lots of ammo when it became available. Then they would run off to the range (or wherever) and shoot until the ammo was gone. Then the next "shortage" would hit. Then they cried and moaned, a great gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. They also took offense at the "Scalpers" at gun shows. The scalpers were just making a buck off of people that just couldn't figure it out. I hated the scalpers because they scooped up everything they could get their hands on, leaving little to nothing for the rest of us.
So, are you hating those who are stocking up now at more reasonable prices? Or do you wait until the next "shortage" hits?
Hopefully those "scalpers" taught you and others to buy it cheap and stack it deep when prices are more attractive and supply is available.

Just a thought however I believe a lot of people don't think past the last can/boxes of ammo they shot up at the range.

I suspect many do not look at shooting in the 'long term' and if they do NOT reload, they may not think about ammo until they need it, then a shortage rolls around and they complain about not finding any.

Yes - it is good advice to 'buy it cheap and stack it deep when prices are more attractive and supply is available' - however I don't see all gun owners looking at it as seriously as say others do.

So, are you hating those who are stocking up now at more reasonable prices? Or do you wait until the next "shortage" hits?
Hopefully those "scalpers" taught you and others to buy it cheap and stack it deep when prices are more attractive and supply is available.
Ah, you misunderstand Grasshoppa. I could give a whit if anyone stocks up. Matter of fact, I do the same thing, for myself. It's called preparedness. During the Obama administration shortages, I would see men backing up to the venues with pallets of primers and rimfire ammo. Then selling it all for a very handsome profit. Those were not your typical gunshow guys that come for a good deal and trade some talk and guns. Nope, they were strictly jacking up prices and filling their pockets. That is also why when gunshops finally do get primers in, they sell them in trays, not bricks, and they limit that.

I've said it before, I have been buying reloading components for myself for years. Every time I see a deal, I'll pick up a brick of primers or a box of bullets that I can use. Even if I don't need it. A pound of powder every now and then. Over the years I've accumulated a fair bit. In other words, bring on any shortage. I don't care. I have never purchased large quantities of anything with the sole intent of going to a gun show and screwing people. What is mine, stays that way.

Those scalpers never "taught" me anything. The Clintons did in the early 90's with primer shortages. Since that time, I've never been caught with my pants down. And at the end of the day, I also don't care what the price of factory ammunition is. I have absolutely no need to buy it.

Ah, you misunderstand Grasshoppa. I could give a whit if anyone stocks up. Matter of fact, I do the same thing, for myself. It's called preparedness. During the Obama administration shortages, I would see men backing up to the venues with pallets of primers and rimfire ammo. Then selling it all for a very handsome profit. Those were not your typical gunshow guys that come for a good deal and trade some talk and guns. Nope, they were strictly jacking up prices and filling their pockets. That is also why when gunshops finally do get primers in, they sell them in trays, not bricks, and they limit that.

I've said it before, I have been buying reloading components for myself for years. Every time I see a deal, I'll pick up a brick of primers or a box of bullets that I can use. Even if I don't need it. A pound of powder every now and then. Over the years I've accumulated a fair bit. In other words, bring on any shortage. I don't care. I have never purchased large quantities of anything with the sole intent of going to a gun show and screwing people. What is mine, stays that way.

Those scalpers never "taught" me anything. The Clintons did in the early 90's with primer shortages. Since that time, I've never been caught with my pants down. And at the end of the day, I also don't care what the price of factory ammunition is. I have absolutely no need to buy it.
The only people who "get screwed" at a gun show or at a gun shop or online are those who choose to be. They are willing to pay what a seller asks to acquire a product or products they want more than the dollars they fork over. If the products are more than they are willing to pay they move on in search of the product(s) they desire at a price they find acceptable. Sadly, they sometimes wind up paying more than the previously unacceptable price. (I still lament passing on a brick of Federal 215 Match primers for $58.99 at a local shop in the early days of Covid primer shortage. I would have grabbed them but didn't want to admit to my wife how much I had spent on them. Haven't seen ANY on a shelf at any price since).

These days I only reload 9mm because I have a bunch of stuff to do it that dates back to lower prices. No sense in spending new money on factory ammo until I run out of stuff I've already paid for. Which will probably never happen based on amount of supplies and rate of consumption. When I go out with my grandson and he gets ahold of the Glock 19, I just hand him a tall cottage cheese container of ammo and let him go. I don't even know how many are there.

These days I only reload 9mm because I have a bunch of stuff to do it that dates back to lower prices. No sense in spending new money on factory ammo until I run out of stuff I've already paid for. Which will probably never happen based on amount of supplies and rate of consumption. When I go out with my grandson and he gets ahold of the Glock 19, I just hand him a tall cottage cheese container of ammo and let him go. I don't even know how many are there.
I love that you take your grandson shooting. It doesn't get any better. Memories are a fine thing to have.

I know a gunsmith that reloads and sells 9mm, so I save all my 9mm brass.

Where I practice the ground always has lots of brass, so I take an extended grabbing tool and plastic bucket with me, and pick for about 30 minutes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top