JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's still cheaper for me to reload as I've accumulated a lot of pre-pandemic components.

Doesn't mean I don't grab a case or two when it's a smoking deal.
When I reload, it's a 17-step process. 17 X 1,000 = 17,000 steps per case of ammo.
With my time being worth .02 cents per hour, yea I can see how it all works out. :confused:

It's a toss right now. I shoot USPSA, and I see a lot of people shooting Carry Optic and Limited Optic with factory 9mm. If I didn't have a pile of components I would shoot
factory too in the Minor power factor divisions.
Where it's worthwhile to reload for me is Major 9 for Open division and ammo specific
to my gun for PCC.
Do you mind sharing what pistol you shoot?

I have half a dozen 9mm's.
Some have been pimped out with match barrels, etc.
I am not seeing any improvements between pistols or ammo. When I shoot.

If all I shot was .22 and 9mm I'd not reload. But I own, load for and shoot somewhere near 40 different calibers. 9mm being one of them so reloading is just part of the process. As far a reloading in general I believe it's better ammo and all my guns seem to like it. Beyond that, I own an ammunition company and my customers seem to like it as well.
Agreed. My rifle calibers demand that I reload.

With my time being worth .02 cents per hour, yea I can see how it all works out. :confused:
When you're retired, sometimes it seems that's about what it's worth. If you truly enjoy reloading, I suppose it pencils out. Me? Naw. I need to save a little more than that, because I can spend my 2 cents per hour doing something I enjoy more.

When you're retired, sometimes it seems that's about what it's worth. If you truly enjoy reloading, I suppose it pencils out. Me? Naw. I need to save a little more than that, because I can spend my 2 cents per hour doing something I enjoy more.
Respectfully, I agree.
Money isnt everything.
There are things like love of the process, pride in doing a good job, and the shiny brass!

So, I do load a lot of 9mm - I can save myself about $75 per 1K at the figures below.

I can load 9mm plinking ammo for about 0.155 per round (15 and 1/2 cents). This is with components that I purchased over the past 2 years after prices started coming down after COVID.

BRASS = $0. (most of us pistol reloaders have a s*it-ton of 9mm brass around or can scarf if from the range).
Projectile = $0.055 each for 124g, TMJ blems or pulls from American Reloading (works great)
Powder = $0.017 for 4 grains (0.00428 cents per grain) - TiteGroup, purchased at around $30 per lb (either locally or with FREE shipping and HAZMAT).

Current lowest prices I've seen on ammo are around the $225 per 1K (0.225 per round)- but you have to shop to get that with free shipping.

And over the past 6 to 8 weeks powder has skyrocketed, projectiles are drying up and going up in price, primers are also increasing a little bit after dropping down to between $70 to $90 per K for the last two years.

But this is just plinking ammo, nothing fancy.

Your mileage my vary.

Cheers.

Last Edited:
I use hornady 124g xtp's
It is what I practice with and what I choose to use. Put a good load of HS6 and I trust it to do anything a 9mm can do. It is a familiar load for my pistols.

$.24 - $.25 per round, shipped. ...

Small pistol primers are:

$.09 - $.12 ea, CCi in stock shipped. Variable.

$.07 ea, Fiocchi OUT ATM - shipped. (American Reloading)

$.05 ea Servicios / Argentine, shipped. (Norma, still avail as of this writing)
Last time I ordered them I got them for $0.21 a round with free shipping. I normally wait till there is free shipping if I'm going to order things.

I reload and cast 9mm because I have two pistols and will soon have finished a 9mm muzzel loading rifle. (If the temp.in my garage ever gets above 55 degrees) The bullet mold I have throws a great bullet for both 9mm and .38spl.
My brass is, "Range Brass" and most of my powder and primers I bought before O'Bummer.
Since I retired, I have more time to reload than to shoot and reloading fills in the time between projects. :cool:

If you reload a 9mm round then my question is, why do you do it? Does reloading a 9mm makes it cheaper than bulk ammo? Does it improve accuracy?
Why? I do it for the same reason I reload ALL my ammo - as an extension of my interest in firearms, shooting and to be able to load the best ammo I can for accuracy and performance.

I understand how many say they 'can buy 9mm cheaper than they can reload' and I UNDERSTAND this - however I also recall how MANY who either do not reload it, or maybe did but were out of components were whining during times of shortages how they could not find any - and my question was, 'how is NOT reloading 9mm working out for ya now'?

I don't reload massive quantities of any ammo, as I don't shoot competitively, or go out and just blast away 1000s of rounds. I shoot conservatively and within the realm of what I have with components stocked up from the past so I am good to go for a long time.

I use to reload 9mm back in the day. I use to cast my lead rounds from reclaimed range scrap. Bought primer and powder in bulk and had a Dylan XL650. I made 9mm for $0.05/round. It was worth it then. Now it's not as worth it IMO.

I go through about 12-15k 9mm a year. Casting bullets from scrap metal bullets are almost free so even with 80-90 a thousand primers I'm still way ahead of even cheap factory ammunition much less proper match ammo.

I find it interesting how many compare the cost of buying 9mm ammo to how it is 'not worth their time' to reload.

I understand this if the person does NOT reload at all but if the person does is reloading just a chore and not a hobby?

As I have said before reloading is an extension of my interest in firearms and therefore it IS a hobby and the time invested is as enjoyable as the time I take shooting the ammo !

I enjoy reloading and having the option of choosing projectiles, powder and primers. 9mm brass is free at my club. Thank you to all you factory ammo shooters that leave it laying on the ground for me. It is fun to score great deals on components.
How quickly some of you have forgotten the fairly recent shortage. I distinctly recall 9mm ammo being unavailable at any price under $25 for a box of 50 generic 115 gr FMJ. And my sister in laws husband being thrilled when I was able to find him a few boxes at $20 per. And do you really think ammo prices are going to stay down with powder and primer prices skyrocketing?
I will happily keep reloading. .38 Spec., .357 Mag., 10mm, .45 ACP, .22-250, .243, .270, .30-30, .308, .300 Win Mag, .338 Fed, and 9mm and .223!

I find it interesting how many compare the cost of buying 9mm ammo to how it is 'not worth their time' to reload.

I understand this if the person does NOT reload at all but if the person does is reloading just a chore and not a hobby?

As I have said before reloading is an extension of my interest in firearms and therefore it IS a hobby and the time invested is as enjoyable as the time I take shooting the ammo !
Like almost everything it has to be different for different people. When I first tried it we mortals could not order ammo. I used to save my brass and take it to a shop who would load it for me at a better price. Then since they had not yet perfected the small pistols in large caliber I gave up and bought a small 5 shooter wheel gun in .44 Sp. The only ammo to be found was the one old load. So I learned. It was of course fun as hell at first. Then I got a machine gun and even learned to cast to try to save money. By the time they decided us mortals could order ammo and I could just buy it by the case? A lot of stuff just was not worth my time. For those who still enjoy rolling just because they enjoy it? Hell why not. Only thing I have ever said is EVERYONE should learn how and keep supplies for everything they shoot. Even if they do not "enjoy" it, having the stuff to roll is smart. When another panic hits if they start to run low they can always make more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top