JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Assuming you started with .223/5.56, what caliber would be next for you? (Choose up to 3)

• 6.8 SPC

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • 6.5 Grendel

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • .300 BLK

Votes: 38 35.2%
  • 7.62x39

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • 5.45x39

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • .458 SOCOM

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • 9mm

Votes: 31 28.7%
  • Other Pistol Caliber

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Other? Specify below

Votes: 16 14.8%

• Total voters
Think what ever you like. I once thought the same. However after having a few 9MM carbines I wont ever be without one. They are just fun and it has nothing to do with "power"

Why would anyone want a .300 BLK? I can shoot my suppressed 9MM carbines for a fraction of the cost with factory ammo.

Think what ever you like. I once thought the same. However after having a few 9MM carbines I wont ever be without one. They are just fun and it has nothing to do with "power"

Why would anyone want a .300 BLK? I can shoot my suppressed 9MM carbines for a fraction of the cost with factory ammo.
that's cool
your just in one camp.
people pick up weapons for all sorts of reasons , you have stated many times of how you like to punch paper and that is awesome. You pick up a weapon and have little concern for what it is really for

A guy like Tits picks up a weapon and critiques it on its intended purpose first, then says I better go to the range and punch some paper to see if it hits

a guy could write a page on your 300blk question but you cant send 220 gr at 1000fps in a 9mm, a 9mm is no where near as effective at range.....all kinds of reasons a 300 is superior to a 9mm in a carbine platform......but again you don't care because a 30 cal hole is a 30 cal hole in paper......nothing wrong with it

that's cool
your just in one camp.
people pick up weapons for all sorts of reasons , you have stated many times of how you like to punch paper and that is awesome. You pick up a weapon and have little concern for what it is really for

A guy like Tits picks up a weapon and critiques it on its intended purpose first, then says I better go to the range and punch some paper to see if it hits

a guy could write a page on your 300blk question but you cant send 220 gr at 1000fps in a 9mm, a 9mm is no where near as effective at range.....all kinds of reasons a 300 is superior to a 9mm in a carbine platform......but again you don't care because a 30 cal hole is a 30 cal hole in paper......nothing wrong with it

I have 50 ish rifles, I think at the moment around 15 AR's. I have 4 in .308 as well as a couple HK-91 clones. If for what ever reason I "needed" a modern sporting rifle for anything other than sport I got it sorted.

So I think your logic is sound if you own one or two, I can see it being important if you have a single rifle and that rifle has a actual purpose. If I had one it would not be a 9MM. Fortunately "fun" for me is a legitimate reason to own one.

.a guy could write a page on your 300blk question but you cant send 220 gr at 1000fps in a 9mm..
I think you can send a 170gr 9x19 to 1000.. out of a regular duty handgun no problems. anyway
Me, I'd maybe think about getting a nice 22-24" tube.. 7 twist, 5.56.. for flattening primers with 80 grainers or so.

25/45 Sharps Yeah, there are a few out there that are just "Change the barrel."
I sure liked the .358 Gremlin. Another just change the barrel, but then I think...new dies, another mold, fiddle around blowing out and reforming brass, then working up another load ladder. :( I'm running out of storage now because I don't get enough time to shoot what I've got.:cool:

I live 5 minutes away from Beavercreek indoor range. They won't let me shoot my AR15. But they will let me shoot any of my rifles in a pistol caliber. I don't think they allow 300BK either. Another good reason for PCC.

My main reason behind my PCC was to replace my 10/22 as my main go to plinking gun, at least until I can regularly buy 22 again at 3-6 cents a round. I can reload 9mm for roughly 10-15 cents a round depending on how much primers and bullets are at the time. With 22 at around 10 cents a round from hawkers on Armslist and zero in stores. I have become a 9mm plinker, as well as not shooting as much. It sort of levels out.

Truly though, I get the counter argument. Yes you can plink with 223/556 or even 308. It just gets more expensive that way. If you can pay to play, more power to you! Yes the true intended purpose of a centerfire rifle is for it to fire a centerfire round. Set aside the tactical, SHTF, EOTWAWKI, as well as competitions and such scenarios, I am still a boy raised on weekends spent plinking with a 10/22. I am deeply saddened for those kids growing up that won't know that. However it may just be those kids will grow up plinking 9mm.

I'm of the mind that if a person already has their "tools" one should be able to look into fun stuff. After getting spare parts, ammo, and magazines (if it uses a detachable magazine) that is.

To each their own on that.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top