JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last edited by a moderator:
Best hope that their intended victims aren't better prepped than they think. I'm thinking they might spill any info they have about their group if they were chained to a burn barrel - I mean you wouldn't want any of your garbage to draw scavengers would ya?

Most of those "farm boys" have had the same training
and have been to war. There are no surprises that
won't happen from all sides. The mode won't be life as usual.
It wont be a film event.

Anyone see that recent episode of "Doomsday Preppers" entitled "We are the marauders"? I haven't stopped laughing yet LOL! Not that marauders couldn't BE an actual problem... you just have to see this group of imbeciles to truly appreciate the flip side. Their "plan" is basically to take supplies from longtime preppers. "Hmmmm... I got an idea! How's about we stockpile NOTHING - no food, supplies, fuel, etc... - and go into ARMED COMBAT every time we need something to eat... against well prepared defended positions! It sure saves on shelf space!" Oh yeah, be sure and watch this bozo practicing performing a cesarean section on his perpetually pregnant wife... in a barn. The good news is, these guys will be bringing much appreciated weapons and ammo for us to pick off their corpses on the perimeter.

No actually it is knowing your capabilities, strengths and weaknesses. No one wants it, but only a fool ignores the possibility.

Wow, some of you are a wee over confident.

Not I - just stating the obvious - if I was an intended victim of this type of group and survived/captured them in this "end of the world / collapse of society" scenario I would likely be a bit pissed and might decide to make sure they pay for the mistake till the end. buzzards, coyotes, etc. gotta eat too...

QUOTE=PDXoriginal;1012713]Wow, some of you are a wee over confident.[/QUOTE]

I think all of us want to say we're prepared. I'll be the first one to admit I'm not as prepared or confident as I'd like to be. SHTF, I'm bugging out of my neighborhood. It's quiet, my neighbors are cool, but only half dozen blocks down the street is the gangs/homeless/pimps and prostitutes/dope slingers/people I don't desire to become acquainted with. My quiet little oasis would crumble pretty fast.

Not accusing anyone here of it, but there are a lot of people who are over confident. What happens when you encounter a group of superior numbers? One with superior firepower? What if they kidnap part of your group? You going to let them kill a wife/kid/family member/friend instead of giving up your preps? What happens when you're trapped in your home? Can you outlast a siege? Do you have proper medical knowledge/equipment to treat wounded. How will your sanitation stand up? What if your group is divided on whether to surrender? Do you think everyone is willing to die for your preps? What happens when your family is ready to split and you're not? Your home/strong hold going to be able to protect you from bullets? What about getting cut off from necessary items (more food, water, ammo)? That's what has always deterred me from the idea of an underground bunker. You may have food/water/weapons, but you're trapped in one spot with likely one way out. What happens when they find your fresh air supply and cut it off/pump it full of carbon monoxide/poison it? All these are things I think about. Seems to me the best way to survive people like in this video is through sheer numbers/force, or be as nomadic/mobile as possible. Everyone else's opinions may vary.

as interesting as the vid is, I really doubt you will have teams of Delta running around raiding. There could be groups of ex military that raid but your far more likely to have to deal with junkies or straight up unprepared people. Again, it also shows that in a total break down, your going to have to become pretty cold blooded in order to survive.
Lots of ideas in there though for future raiders.

QUOTE=PDXoriginal;1012713]Wow, some of you are a wee over confident.

I think all of us want to say we're prepared. I'll be the first one to admit I'm not as prepared or confident as I'd like to be. SHTF, I'm bugging out of my neighborhood. It's quiet, my neighbors are cool, but only half dozen blocks down the street is the gangs/homeless/pimps and prostitutes/dope slingers/people I don't desire to become acquainted with. My quiet little oasis would crumble pretty fast.

Not accusing anyone here of it, but there are a lot of people who are over confident. What happens when you encounter a group of superior numbers? One with superior firepower? What if they kidnap part of your group? You going to let them kill a wife/kid/family member/friend instead of giving up your preps? What happens when you're trapped in your home? Can you outlast a siege? Do you have proper medical knowledge/equipment to treat wounded. How will your sanitation stand up? What if your group is divided on whether to surrender? Do you think everyone is willing to die for your preps? What happens when your family is ready to split and you're not? Your home/strong hold going to be able to protect you from bullets? What about getting cut off from necessary items (more food, water, ammo)? That's what has always deterred me from the idea of an underground bunker. You may have food/water/weapons, but you're trapped in one spot with likely one way out. What happens when they find your fresh air supply and cut it off/pump it full of carbon monoxide/poison it? All these are things I think about. Seems to me the best way to survive people like in this video is through sheer numbers/force, or be as nomadic/mobile as possible. Everyone else's opinions may vary.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you have it down pretty well :)

Why the heck do y'all think we are about to build an ICF castle? :p

Survive a siege? That's the plan

Ditto to dunerunner's comments. There are more than one way(s) to skin a cat. Nighttime sallies with NV being one of them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_port

One man with state of the art NV can easily destroy those sorts of clowns. I bet at night they would sit facing the fire in a huddle

Not accusing anyone here of it, but there are a lot of people who are over confident. What happens when you encounter a group of superior numbers? One with superior firepower? What if they kidnap part of your group? You going to let them kill a wife/kid/family member/friend instead of giving up your preps? What happens when you're trapped in your home? Can you outlast a siege? Do you have proper medical knowledge/equipment to treat wounded. How will your sanitation stand up? What if your group is divided on whether to surrender? Do you think everyone is willing to die for your preps? What happens when your family is ready to split and you're not? Your home/strong hold going to be able to protect you from bullets? What about getting cut off from necessary items (more food, water, ammo)? That's what has always deterred me from the idea of an underground bunker. You may have food/water/weapons, but you're trapped in one spot with likely one way out. What happens when they find your fresh air supply and cut it off/pump it full of carbon monoxide/poison it? All these are things I think about. Seems to me the best way to survive people like in this video is through sheer numbers/force, or be as nomadic/mobile as possible. Everyone else's opinions may vary.

Sounds like you have it down pretty well :)[/QUOTE]

Or I just think too much lol. I recently had a conversation with a friend about "where would you go if SHTF". That was a really good question. In a perfect world I'd head for my folks place. Not to reveal too much of the opsec, but it's pretty easy to defend (hard to access, high ground, multiple water sources, garden, etc. Problem is, I would have to travel about 47 miles to get there. Unless I got a jump on a SHTF situation, my vehicle is going to be sitting on the freeway with every other yahoo. Walking is a couple days work but you can't take much preps with you on foot (and you're an easy target to lose what little you have unless you move at night), and once you finally get there, what's to say it hasn't been some how overtaken by someone else. You could always "head to the woods". But what happens when you get there? You have little to no shelter from the elements. So you own an RV or drag a trailer. Are you going to find a way through traffic, accidents, potential roadblocks, or otherwise impassible roads? So you go on foot. Maybe you bring a tent with you. How fun is life going to be when it's rained for 20 days straight (I live in Western WA), it's snowing, etc? Also, everything is soaking wet. Better be good at starting a fire to keep warm. Well fire also draws attention to your position (smoke or flames at night). So I can't locate or communicate with anyone who I'd want to "bug out" with. It's either going to potentially be just me, or me and my gal. That's not a lot of man power. What happens when that hidden away spot in the woods starts being found by people who had the same idea as me? Someone is bound to not want to play nice. I run into a larger force, I'm SOL. These are things I've been thinking about lately. Makes me realize I need to start developing a solid plan (and 2 or 3 back up plans at minimum). I think the likely hood of a SHTF situation coming about is about the same likelihood of being attacked by both a polar bear and a grizzly bear on the same day. Nothing wrong with having a plan though. I just think I'm honestly only 20% prepared.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top