JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plinking: 5.56 55gr
Self defense: 5.56 62gr
Long range: 5.56 77gr
Small game survival: 5.56 55gr
Big game: Nah..not my thing.
SHTF: 5.56 in whatever gr
Full size pistol: 40SW just long enough to get to my 5.56
Conceal carry: 9mm
EOTWAWKI: 9mm cause that sh1t will be all over the place
Midnight surprise breakins: 12GA

Plinking: 5.56 55gr
Self defense: 5.56 62gr
Long range: 5.56 77gr
Small game survival: 5.56 55gr
Big game: Nah..not my thing.
SHTF: 5.56 in whatever gr
Full size pistol: 40SW just long enough to get to my 5.56
Conceal carry: 9mm
EOTWAWKI: 9mm cause that sh1t will be all over the place
Midnight surprise breakins: 12GA
So what do you think of 5.56?

Ballistically and for my needs, i have fallen for the 7mm08, even though i have never shot one. But from experience, I'll have to say the 6.5x55 is my fave.
6.5 x 55 is a great cartridge. When you match it with a Swedish Mauser or AG42 Ludgman it is a fantastic synergistic pairing! I think 6.5 x 55 is one of the all time great military cartridges. Plenty of power and range with a mild recoil.

.50ae is one of my favorites... for the giggle factor.

.22 TCM is another great round that I really enjoy shooting.

6.5 x 55 is a great cartridge. When you match it with a Swedish Mauser or AG42 Ludgman it is a fantastic synergistic pairing! I think 6.5 x 55 is one of the all time great military cartridges. Plenty of power and range with a mild recoil.

.50ae is one of my favorites... for the giggle factor.

.22 TCM is another great round that I really enjoy shooting.
Much agreed! But the 22TCM has to be a real head turner and great giggle factor too. Never seen one!!

Cannot wait to start reloading the 6.5x55 but i currently have a lot of live ammo, so that goes first.

Is this thread about favorite cartridges or what the title says? Just joking but there seems to be some who don't know the difference.
There is what is exactly correct and what is accepted as what works. Most know the difference and use the terms interchangeably and comfortably. Just like clips and magazines.

caliber spelt singular means only pick one, favorite means a caliber you have actual experience with.
If I had things to do over I may have unknowingly gone down a different path, but my one favorite caliber that does it all is the 25-06.

Much agreed! But the 22TCM has to be a real head turner and great giggle factor too. Never seen one!!

Cannot wait to start reloading the 6.5x55 but i currently have a lot of live ammo, so that goes first.
I have been reloading 6.5 x 55 for a few decades. I started with 4064 which worked great but switched to Varget because it meters better in my Dillon powder measures. I keep my loads on the mild side but still enough juice to reliably cycle the AG42 Ludgeman. It is a GREAT ROUND!

I haven't had my RIA 22 TCM out with anyone else yet to wow with the display. I have just been taking it to my favorite local pit. I love how it feels like shooting a 22lr out of the heavy RIA 1911 doublestack. Time to back on target is pretty much nothing. I have dies and a Dillon powder funnel for 22 TCM but haven't purchased projectiles or some more brass to augment my personal once shot brass supply.

I don't have a "favorite", it depends on the use it's being put to.

That said, I guess .38/357- just cuz- it's simple to reload, can be used for multiple applications, in a variety of firearms... that said I rarely carry it except sometimes in a lil ol mod 36 snubby. Old habits die hard, tis said...
Judging by what I do carry most of the time, it would be 5.56, 7.62x39, and 9x19mm.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top