JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a bunch of these but cant figure out what caliber.

20221109_064944.jpg 20221109_064929.jpg 20221109_064909.jpg

The main point is that we have no way of knowing for sure if those are factory or reloads. A lot of people don't like shooting reloads of unknown origin because you don't know whether they were reloaded properly. You don't need a "KaBoom" in your life. I learned that lesson when I was about 16. My dad had a Winchester 88 lever action deer rifle in .243 Win. Kind of a rare combination. He had had some reloads done by one of the more reputable gunsmiths in the area. My buddies and I were going ground squirrel shooting on a large ranch. I took dad's .243 along and some of his supposedly high speed, high accuracy reloaded ammo. The first round I touched off kicked like hell, the empty case didn't want to come out of the chamber, and there was a black ring around the primer. I thought, OK, I'll try one more. The second empty case stuck too, and this time the primer fell out.

When we returned the ammo to the gunsmith for inspection he determined that he had grabbed the wrong powder when loading those cases, and he'd used a fast burning pistol powder instead of a slow burning rifle powder, which had produced higher than normal pressures in the chamber. It just so happened that the Winchester 88 had a revolving bolt with locking lugs, even though it was a lever action, so it didn't blow up. I have been leery of firing other people's reloads ever since.
winchester88.jpeg

The main point is that we have no way of knowing for sure if those are factory or reloads.
We kinda do, actually. By the year stamp, LC wouldn't have been factory loading with soft points. FMJ only, AFAIK. That neck buldge too didn't come out of any factory.

The "neck buldge" is common when partial neck sizing. If done right it helps concentricy, at least in theory.

Soft point bullet and resized brass guarentee these are reloads.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top