JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would give those cartridges a miss. And anybody who would accept a cartridge that has such obvious deformities in manufacture is living in a fool's paradise. If such a simple process as sizing/bullet setting is wrong, what else might be wrong? Wrong powder? Who knows?

I was once shown a 're-manufactured' .308Win cartridge with another 168gr bullet hidden inside the powder. The shooter had been alerted to the fact that 'it seemed to be very heavy', so he pulled it on the spot.

Lucky for me, here in UK and Europe it is illegal to sell your reloads, using used components. Unless, of course, that is your actual business. To do so requires a lot of time, effort and money, and, of course a LOT of sampling ammunition for testing - like 10,000 rounds of each calibre or bullet weight.

Those three little letters - CIP - that you see on the box of European-made ammunition are hard-won indeed.

I would give those cartridges a miss. And anybody who would accept a cartridge that has such obvious deformities in manufacture is living in a fool's paradise. If such a simple process as sizing/bullet setting is wrong, what else might be wrong? Wrong powder? Who knows?

I was once shown a 're-manufactured' .308Win cartridge with another 168gr bullet hidden inside the powder. The shooter had been alerted to the fact that 'it seemed to be very heavy', so he pulled it on the spot.

Lucky for me, here in UK and Europe it is illegal to sell your reloads, using used components. Unless, of course, that is your actual business. To do so requires a lot of time, effort and money, and, of course a LOT of sampling ammunition for testing - like 10,000 rounds of each calibre or bullet weight.

Those three little letters - CIP - that you see on the box of European-made ammunition are hard-won indeed.
As I have posted before, "remanufactured" .308 blew the mag out of my first HK91 and bowed the sides of the receiver out. So pulled bullets and powder to burn they now are.

1668115894031.png

1668115917276.png

"Reload" is the new bogeyman - better call the hazmat team.

Long ago it used to be common practice to take live GI ammo, pull the FMJ bullets, and replace them with SP or target bullets of the same weight. As I recall, the term for such ammo was "Mexican Match". You'd typically size the neck of the the case to hold the new bullet, leaving it looking very much like the round in the photo.

If this is what these are, are they reloads or not? Yes and no, I suppose, but definitely not "factory". We all know it's bad practice to shoot unknown ammo, so there's no point in beating that dead horse.

I suppose we really should lobby the government for stronger restrictions on reloading to protect from these kinds of things, you know, so we can be safe. Over here in the wild, wild west, people are blowing up and dying daily from uncontrolled feral reloads. :rolleyes:

"Reload" is the new bogeyman - better call the hazmat team.

Long ago it used to be common practice to take live GI ammo, pull the FMJ bullets, and replace them with SP or target bullets of the same weight. As I recall, the term for such ammo was "Mexican Match". You'd typically size the neck of the the case to hold the new bullet, leaving it looking very much like the round in the photo.

If this is what these are, are they reloads or not? Yes and no, I suppose, but definitely not "factory". We all know it's bad practice to shoot unknown ammo, so there's no point in beating that dead horse.

I suppose we really should lobby the government for stronger restrictions on reloading to protect from these kinds of things, you know, so we can be safe. Over here in the wild, wild west, people are blowing up and dying daily from uncontrolled feral reloads. :rolleyes:
Relax! They'll be on the problem soon enough.

Correct! Mexican Match was the term. I have no idea how that moniker arose.

We would pull the GI bullet and replace it with a Sierra Match HP. They shot very well.

Later we would reload the pulled bullets in old brass at the end of its life, creating standing position practice loads.

Last Edited:
Careful now, they'll want you running for a democrat seat if you keep giving them ideas.
I was being facetious of course. Every time the issue of "someone else's reloads" come up, the suggestion is always made that we should have laws more like Europe, restricting and regulating reloading, and prohibiting any sale of any ammunition that hasn't undergone an extensive and expensive CIP certification. No offense intended towards any particular member; I just happen to disagree on this issue.

Not only would this affect reloading in general, but it would put every small-time commercial reloader completely out of business. These small commercial reloaders are legal, licensed and insured, and most do a good job. If they don't, they go out of business pretty quick. Even beyond that, I don't think we really need further government regulations in this area. Yes, we all know that shooting random reloads is risky (I won't, anymore) but realistically it's not as risky as many think. I don't see it being a big problem; certainly not one worth having another level of bureaucracy and and restrictions.

I was being facetious of course. Every time the issue of "someone else's reloads" come up, the suggestion is always made that we should have laws more like Europe, restricting and regulating reloading, and prohibiting any sale of any ammunition that hasn't undergone an extensive and expensive CIP certification. No offense intended towards any particular member; I just happen to disagree on this issue.

Not only would this affect reloading in general, but it would put every small-time commercial reloader completely out of business. These small commercial reloaders are legal, licensed and insured, and most do a good job. If they don't, they go out of business pretty quick. Even beyond that, I don't think we really need further government regulations in this area. Yes, we all know that shooting random reloads is risky (I won't, anymore) but realistically it's not as risky as many think. I don't see it being a big problem; certainly not one worth having another level of bureaucracy and and restrictions.
People treat laws like they're magic, when in fact they're a last resort - a threat of violence when nothing else will do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top