JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My preparedness (& everyday) tip of the day is:

-I think I've mentioned how handy 91% isopropyl alcohol is.

I use it around the house & camping as a hand sanatizer. Camping I also use it to help with personal hygiene. Careful though, if your hands are still wet it can streak some clothing dye & paint (doors etc).

This is the best sprayer I've found for it, over at Walgreens. Been using this type for a few years, I just re-fill it with qt sized I buy from Walmart or Target (the refill costs less than the sprayer). Target used to carry the sprayer, but I haven't seen them in a while. Sprays a really fine mist.

DF62FEA6-1754-427B-AD8E-BA1D8168683D_zpszvo3ar8k.jpg

I use it around the house & camping as a hand sanatizer. Camping I also use it to help with personal hygiene. Careful though, if your hands are still wet it can streak some clothing dye & paint (doors etc).

This is the best sprayer I've found for it, over at Walgreens. Been using this type for a few years, I just re-fill it with qt sized I buy from Walmart or Target (the refill costs less than the sprayer). Target used to carry the sprayer, but I haven't seen them in a while. Sprays a really fine mist.
o_O

Just never heard of such a thing.

It's also much cheaper than store brand Purel, plus some of the Purels exacerbate my eczema anyways.

Super option for hand "washing" while camping before food prep - especially if water use is of concern.

It's not as useful for fuel in those homemade soda pop stoves, and the alcohol used for those stoves shouldn't be used as a topical.

I am with you there, Camel! I keep a quart bottle of 91% by my bed, my recliner, both shops, the kitchen and both vehicles. It is a cleaner extrordinare! Uncountable times, manning up a second and pouring it over a wound! Great stuff!
Oh yeah, keep it in the bathroom and have 4 quarts in storage!

Bought a Becker, BK-2 today! My first BK. I may have to get the smaller, handier model, too. Came reasonably sharp, no blemishes to fit or finish!
But, that Kydex sheath! What a complete POS!
MUST BE REPLACED!!!:mad:
I might need a BK-9 too!:D Need? Heck, I didn't need this one!

Bought a Becker, BK-2 today! My first BK. I may have to get the smaller, handier model, too. Came reasonably sharp, no blemishes to fit or finish!
But, that Kydex sheath! What a complete POS!
MUST BE REPLACED!!!:mad:
I might need a BK-9 too!:D Need? Heck, I didn't need this one!

I have more knives than I have guns, and that is saying something.

I don't have a single knife though that I paid more than $80 for - most of them are a pretty good value, some not so much. I have a Schrade that is kind of a copy of the Becker/et. al. type knives.

I am a big fan of any rubber like scales/handles - I just can't tolerate most anything else - I need that grippy grip grip. :D

Yeah, the BK-2 was just over $80, a major selling point. It's a lot of knife for that kind of money. If the sheath was up to snuff it would be $20-$30 more!
Gotta agree on the rubberized grips, my preference too. At least the BK-2 has ergonomics that work for me! It's just not my old Gerber Bowie, with the rubber, coffin grip!

I got that Schrade because I figured maybe there was something to the great big thick knives and I liked the look of them.

Schrade-SCHF51-05.jpg

But beyond using them as a substitute for a hatchet splitting wood, I am not sure how much more useful one is.

Personally, I would rather carry my British belt axe - much better at splitting/chopping wood (because that is what axes are for) and only weighs 5 more ounces.

23c.jpg

The belt axe and a relatively lightweight knife (or two or three) seem much more useful to me. I can't imagine cleaning and preparing a squirrel or a trout a pigeon with a Schrade SCHF36 or a Becker BK2. I could see using one to split the pelvis on a deer or elk, but in my experience, a small hatchet works better at that too.

I suppose, if a person could have only one knife and no hatchet/axe, then a big hinking thick knife could be made to work as a compromise cutting tool at more tasks than a smaller knife, but where is it written that a person isn't allow to carry more than one knife, or that you can't also carry a small hatchet/axe?

Last Edited:
Knives are not for splitting wood,period.
If there are big trees there are small branches,no real need to split anything.
I like those beckers and those shrades.
I put a windshield on my atv this week. Should work good for bugs and when it gets cold.
Also put a huge rack on the back to carry groceries
Made a cover for my crawl space. This month is the time to get ready for cold weather. Hunting stats soon and can't cut into that time:eek:

Yeah, the BK-2 was just over $80, a major selling point. It's a lot of knife for that kind of money. If the sheath was up to snuff it would be $20-$30 more!
Gotta agree on the rubberized grips, my preference too. At least the BK-2 has ergonomics that work for me! It's just not my old Gerber Bowie, with the rubber, coffin grip!

image.jpeg

Dug out my Gerber, Trailmaster Bowie.:D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews