JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^ Suzuki DRZ 400 motorcycle in different variants is possible the only currently sold vehicle that would not be affected by an EMP.

The DRZ400 has a carb it also can have a kick starter put in if it's not an e model. You can put saddle bags on the bike and a rear rack can be put on as well. You can pay up for an oversized gas tank. The DRZ400 should be the top apocalypse bikes you should own. Very easy to work on and very reliable
The DRZ400 isn't Fuel injected, but an EMP could still screw up the ecu. You'd have to go back to a much older bike with points to be completely EMP safe. I spent WAY too many hours tracing out a no-start issue on my old kick-start only DRZ 400 issues before I finally swapped out the ECU. Even with my full dirt-bike boots on, I bruised my foot so badly that I could barely walk for a week.

Back on topic - people have already hit the high points. Lucifer's Hammer was probably the most influential, but I started off with the old Jerry Ahern "The Survivalist" series. Totally unrealistic and seriously jumped the shark a few books in, but just right to capture the imagination of a teenager in the '80s. The secondary kill chapter of The Stand was probably the biggest wake up moment.

I saw a short "making of" on youtube where they interviewed the actresses and they were saying how the MAC-10s were constantly jamming during filming, so at one point the director told them to just keep going when they malfunction. The result was this scene where the gun legitimately jams.

Yes, I'm a movie nerd and child of the 80s. 😎

i Just watched this you can watch for free (with commercials)

The 'Patriots' series by James Wesley Rawles was my start. Bought from the book and supplies dealer at the PDX gunshows 20 years ago.
The series by Matt Bracken is my favorite.

That's the version I saw. Terrific movie. Very sinister, very creepy. I sat through the movie knowing that things were going to get very bad. Over the top intense and frantic ending.

But I don't know what I learned from it in the way of preparations, unless it is to get shatter-proof glass.

The 'Patriots' series by James Wesley Rawles was my start. Bought from the book and supplies dealer at the PDX gunshows 20 years ago.
The series by Matt Bracken is my favorite.
I didn't know it was a series. I've only read the first one. That is the one set in Idaho, right? I liked that it gave so much detailed information about things. For example, Rawles describes the specific process they used to make the soap. If I recall, there were references in the back to things like that. Great book.

I didn't know it was a series. I've only read the first one. That is the one set in Idaho, right? I liked that it gave so much detailed information about things. For example, Rawles describes the specific process they used to make the soap. If I recall, there were references in the back to things like that. Great book.
I think there were 4 more books, with a lot of characters mentioned in Patriots. When I bought it originally, I was told that it was a manual, made to look like a novel.

Atlas Shrugged, Brave New World, and 1984...

I tend to re-read them every few years. Lately I just turn on the news and check off the chapters to see where we are.

"Highlander" - a film about an immortal Scottsman or two, who carried folded steel Japanese Katanas in a film set in 1985. WTF?!?

Went to museum exhibits showing Japanese swords insured for $1.5 Million in the 1980s, next to blades called "Priceless." I swear I heard (felt) those blades talking to me, but I didn't understand the language. Woo-Woo Poo, I know, but even if it was my imagination, it left a memory.

Later bought some cheap stainless steel katanas then one actually made with folded steel.

Other writers have already mentioned the works of Robert A. Heinlein, Tom Clancy and John Ross - so I'll echo them.

3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg

Just a few.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews