JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My preparedness (& everyday) tip of the day is:

-I think I've mentioned how handy 91% isopropyl alcohol is.

I use it around the house & camping as a hand sanatizer. Camping I also use it to help with personal hygiene. Careful though, if your hands are still wet it can streak some clothing dye & paint (doors etc).

This is the best sprayer I've found for it, over at Walgreens. Been using this type for a few years, I just re-fill it with qt sized I buy from Walmart or Target (the refill costs less than the sprayer). Target used to carry the sprayer, but I haven't seen them in a while. Sprays a really fine mist.

DF62FEA6-1754-427B-AD8E-BA1D8168683D_zpszvo3ar8k.jpg

I use it around the house & camping as a hand sanatizer. Camping I also use it to help with personal hygiene. Careful though, if your hands are still wet it can streak some clothing dye & paint (doors etc).

This is the best sprayer I've found for it, over at Walgreens. Been using this type for a few years, I just re-fill it with qt sized I buy from Walmart or Target (the refill costs less than the sprayer). Target used to carry the sprayer, but I haven't seen them in a while. Sprays a really fine mist.
o_O

Just never heard of such a thing.

It's also much cheaper than store brand Purel, plus some of the Purels exacerbate my eczema anyways.

Super option for hand "washing" while camping before food prep - especially if water use is of concern.

It's not as useful for fuel in those homemade soda pop stoves, and the alcohol used for those stoves shouldn't be used as a topical.

I am with you there, Camel! I keep a quart bottle of 91% by my bed, my recliner, both shops, the kitchen and both vehicles. It is a cleaner extrordinare! Uncountable times, manning up a second and pouring it over a wound! Great stuff!
Oh yeah, keep it in the bathroom and have 4 quarts in storage!

Bought a Becker, BK-2 today! My first BK. I may have to get the smaller, handier model, too. Came reasonably sharp, no blemishes to fit or finish!
But, that Kydex sheath! What a complete POS!
MUST BE REPLACED!!!:mad:
I might need a BK-9 too!:D Need? Heck, I didn't need this one!

Bought a Becker, BK-2 today! My first BK. I may have to get the smaller, handier model, too. Came reasonably sharp, no blemishes to fit or finish!
But, that Kydex sheath! What a complete POS!
MUST BE REPLACED!!!:mad:
I might need a BK-9 too!:D Need? Heck, I didn't need this one!

I have more knives than I have guns, and that is saying something.

I don't have a single knife though that I paid more than $80 for - most of them are a pretty good value, some not so much. I have a Schrade that is kind of a copy of the Becker/et. al. type knives.

I am a big fan of any rubber like scales/handles - I just can't tolerate most anything else - I need that grippy grip grip. :D

Yeah, the BK-2 was just over $80, a major selling point. It's a lot of knife for that kind of money. If the sheath was up to snuff it would be $20-$30 more!
Gotta agree on the rubberized grips, my preference too. At least the BK-2 has ergonomics that work for me! It's just not my old Gerber Bowie, with the rubber, coffin grip!

I got that Schrade because I figured maybe there was something to the great big thick knives and I liked the look of them.

Schrade-SCHF51-05.jpg

But beyond using them as a substitute for a hatchet splitting wood, I am not sure how much more useful one is.

Personally, I would rather carry my British belt axe - much better at splitting/chopping wood (because that is what axes are for) and only weighs 5 more ounces.

23c.jpg

The belt axe and a relatively lightweight knife (or two or three) seem much more useful to me. I can't imagine cleaning and preparing a squirrel or a trout a pigeon with a Schrade SCHF36 or a Becker BK2. I could see using one to split the pelvis on a deer or elk, but in my experience, a small hatchet works better at that too.

I suppose, if a person could have only one knife and no hatchet/axe, then a big hinking thick knife could be made to work as a compromise cutting tool at more tasks than a smaller knife, but where is it written that a person isn't allow to carry more than one knife, or that you can't also carry a small hatchet/axe?

Last Edited:
Knives are not for splitting wood,period.
If there are big trees there are small branches,no real need to split anything.
I like those beckers and those shrades.
I put a windshield on my atv this week. Should work good for bugs and when it gets cold.
Also put a huge rack on the back to carry groceries
Made a cover for my crawl space. This month is the time to get ready for cold weather. Hunting stats soon and can't cut into that time:eek:

Yeah, the BK-2 was just over $80, a major selling point. It's a lot of knife for that kind of money. If the sheath was up to snuff it would be $20-$30 more!
Gotta agree on the rubberized grips, my preference too. At least the BK-2 has ergonomics that work for me! It's just not my old Gerber Bowie, with the rubber, coffin grip!

image.jpeg

Dug out my Gerber, Trailmaster Bowie.:D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top