JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thought I would toss this out there for consideration: has there ever been a work of fiction that led you to engage in one or more preparedness step, projects, or life plans?

• The type of work can be of any of your choosing (e.g., books, films, theater, video games, et al.).
  • The work may be anything from very obscure to very main stream.
  • The work would have to have some intersection with preparedness, civil defense, self defense, etc.
  • Any time period of your choosing.
So, any come to mind? What was the work and how did it impact your preparations?

Thanks for sharing. :)

shopping.jpeg-7.jpg

Read this when I was 10 or 11.

I have always kept a chocolate stash since.

Books:
D.K. Richardson: The author does the things his characters do or at least validates them. Genre is dystopian science fiction but is very realistic to science and traditions.

A. American: fun reads that teach as they go. I've interacted with some of the SME's he uses on various forums and know his tech/survival info is solid.

Mark Goodwin: Ends of days from a biblical perspective is very good in terms of nuts and bolts survival and societal issues. Many story lines realistically end without the "hero" or his/her loved ones surviving.

A few others come to mind. I'll try to revisit tomorrow.

The Day After. 1983 TV Film fictionalization of life in the USA after a nuclear strike. Frightening and realistic. At least I thought it was then. Affected me enough that after watching went out the next day and stocked up on ammo for my 30-30, and rice and beans for the cupboard. Doesn't seem like much now but money was tighter then and the folowing few weeks were pretty lean. Always been a science fiction fan but after that started reading some disaster fiction authors, precursors to Bobby Akart and that type of genre, too.

The Bible. I keep a good pair of foreskin trimmers on hand for when the Philistines come knocking and a donkey jaw over the fireplace. Also learned to speak to bears so they can come maul the village children when they make fun of my baldness

The Stand by Steven King. Read it when I was in high school, and it's stuck with me ever since.

Edited to include:

Before that I hadn't really thought about how some events could literally bring our daily lives to a screeching halt. Afterwards I started thinking a lot harder about cascading consequences of major events. Never looked at mass transportation the same way again.

Last Edited:
Robert A. Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky...and Farnham's Freehold
Pat Frank's "Alas Babylon"
Are three fiction books that have influenced my survival / prep thinking.

While all three could be seen as "dated"...all three are still a good read and make you think.
Thinking , as well as ....
Working with what you have...versus what you wish you have , are two often overlooked skills to have and use when in a survival situation.
Andy

The Last Canadian by William Heine

I read the book in the late 70's in Junior High. It stuck with me, and perhaps subconsciously had me thinking about self defense, preparedness, and how quickly one's world can be upended since then.

I'll punch the first AH right in their forehead that says, "the Bible".

o_O
The Bible. I keep a good pair of foreskin trimmers on hand for when the Philistines come knocking and a donkey jaw over the fireplace. Also learned to speak to bears so they can come maul the village children when they make fun of my baldness

OK… I warned y'all!

IMG_1590.jpeg

;) :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR