JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started a thread on this and no one seems to use any of the expencive ones.
I have 2 of the $80 ones and tried the $200 one and it didn't work any better.
And have two cause they won't last a whole deer without overheating and shutting down.

I remember seeing that thread but couldn't seem to find it again - search doesn't always work well here.

Ordered a couple of "Tactical Waist Packs" from Amazon.
Saw them on slick guns, on this site. $13.97 ea. shipped!

IMG_0504.JPG

Last Edited:
I'm about to start NET (Neighborhood Emergency Training, similar to CERT) class tomorrow. I'm watching the videos right now, and while some of the speakers are interesting, others are stilted or droning, making me wonder if that's what it's like having a conversation with the person – ha!

It's a good primer on disaster preparedness, though. Lots of the questions I see asked online would be answered by watching the videos (yes, even suffering through the droning ones). They're all on YouTube for free, too:

NET Level 1 Training - YouTube

Some of the online stuff is dry and boring, but NET offers a lot of really good hands on training. Just wade through the early required basic stuff and then it gets better.

-To prep, I finally figured out where to store some primers...in a plastic cooler.

Did a bunch of web searching in regards to the storage of them, from locked in the safe (bad idea IMO), in a standard GI ammo can (better idea, but not great again IMO), to simply on the shelf in the shop or in a closet (best idea of above IMO).

Best ideas for our climate, and my concerns RE a seismic event are either in plastic ammo cans, or in a cooler. We had a cooler that hadn't been used in a while, and if we do need to use it, it's just for a short trip...so the primers could live reasonably "protected" under the workbench in the shop for that time.

To help mitigate static, the cooler won't ever be dragged or placed on carpet, & I'll be sure to touch a ground before opening it - especially if it's dry season.

March 2015 post:

Decided to whip up a batch of hardtack before bed. Let harden for a few days then into an airtight container it goes. Nothing like some really cheap prep food that lasts for years.

...older post, & I'm intentionally replying because it is an old post...

@Ttuck , if you happen to have any hardtack left from this particular batch:

How well has it stored for you? & how do you like to use it (i.e. add to soups, bust it up & pop some in your mouth until it's soft enough to chew, steam it to soften it up to chew... etc etc etc).

Thanks!

-We enjoy crackers as a snack or with lunch (with soups, with pbj, cheese or spam or both), but buying commercial vaccuum packed is crazy cost prohibitive....if anyone knows how to repackage saltines or water crackers to get 3+years out of them, please chime in!

Put an order in for some 2400 calorie Datrex survival blocks. One for the car trunk, one for the truck & a few to play with repackaging/vacuum packing, perhaps for BOBs. About as close to "Soilent Green" as possible, but will be calories if need be. Pack - em & forget em. Great storage option for a vehicle though.

---

Just repackaged 2 six pack boxes of "Carr's" brand water crackers we picked up at Costco. Big fan of those crackers & hadn't seen the six packs out here except around the Holidays. Original best by on them is May 2017.

Cut the dead space off each inner box, opened each plastic wrap then food saver bagged all 6 boxes with 2 O2 absorbers per 6 pack. The 6 packs then slid rite back in the outer box nicely. Interesting experiment to see how they hold up for a year & wether they maintain a semi-fresh consistency.

I've eaten Carr's in there original packaging a year after the BB date camping, and although it's food, they weren't very good.

Also curious if the pepper will infuse into all of the other crackers. Might be nice actually.

Picked up a few Gen 3 PMAGS at 5153 Tactical. Great people there.
Also picked up some more ammo (came with a new toy).
Picked up some duct tape, and survival water pouches to go with a 72 hour food kit for a gift exchange at work. It'll be interesting to see how it goes over.

A few weeks ago, I was asked to deliver a briefing on the potential impact of a Cascadia type event to our management team, and got MANY shocked faces. Since then, at least 2 Directors have approached me to ask about preps and have purchased water filters and freeze dried food.:D

Few thousand more pistol primers I was able to scare up and a new Lyman hand priming tool...

Worked my old one so hard, it gave up the ghost after 20+ years...

Guess what I'm doing this weekend, after I get the Christmas Lights up???

Few thousand more pistol primers I was able to scare up and a new Lyman hand priming tool...

Worked my old one so hard, it gave up the ghost after 20+ years...

Guess what I'm doing this weekend, after I get the Christmas Lights up???
Having a toddy? That's what I'm gunna do in honor of you putting lights up
In fact I'll have this one for the thought:D
And I cut up some wood for kindling.

I bought a fixed stock to bubblegum my SHTF carbine for Kalifornication. :mad:

Having to rely on 10 rounds vs 30 is incentive to become a better marksman, right? Oh well, a couple more 30 dollar bills and it will be featureless and therefore i won't have to register it as an AW.

Brutus Out

I bought a fixed stock to bubblegum my SHTF carbine for Kalifornication. :mad:

Having to rely on 10 rounds vs 30 is incentive to become a better marksman, right? Oh well, a couple more 30 dollar bills and it will be featureless and therefore i won't have to register it as an AW.

Brutus Out

"...register it as assault weapon"...

Wut? They're kidding rite?

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR