JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure if the storm situation is media hype or a potential problem, but to hedge the bet, I got more supplies in, battened down the house, checked the generators and chainsaws, and made a list of things to pick-up tomorrow before it is supposed to hit hard Saturday. Meh, so far just some wind and rain, which is pretty much standard here. We'll see how it develops though.

I don't prepare for long term collapses (as in TEOTWAWKI scenarios); as popular as they are in PAW fiction stories, I just don't think they are all that probable.

OTOH - one SHTF scenario is playing out right now; the peak carrying capacity of the planet will be reached in the next 20 to 50 years. Also, as climate change is causing problems we need to prepare for that too. Whether you accept that climate change is human caused or not, only the most naive deny that it is happening at all.

No on can deny that the human population is growing ever faster and that more people means less resources for each person. We are currently and have been for a while, fighting wars over natural resources (if you really believe that the Iraq war was about WMDs or Al Qaeda then I have some prime swamp land I would like to sell you). Such conflicts have already spilled over on to American soil in the form of terrorism (although that is overblown).

As energy gets more expensive, and more people move from rural into urban areas (80+% now live in urban areas), more food and water and other products will need to be transported into dense population areas, and the cost will keep going up. Arable land will get more expensive and harder to find. Eventually, having enough arable land to grow/raise enough food on will be a luxury most people can't afford. After that it will be more about survival than luxury. Having your own energy source (solar), water and food sources, will be what a person needs to live - at first in comfort, and then it will be a matter of survival and people from the urban areas will migrate out trying to find areas they can live that way too.

This won't happen overnight, or from year to year, but gradually over the decades. Eventually people will start dying faster than the population is growing and that is when we will know we have passed the peak carrying capacity everywhere. RIght now it is happening is some regions, but not everywhere. Those areas, like the USA, still can support the people we have here - but even some areas can't support their populations - e.g., the southwest has severe water problems. Even Orygun has mostly in a declared drought conditions.

There are also the side effects.

Climate change doubled size of western forest fires, study says, and it will only get worse

We are overfishing the seas and we are approaching a point where there will be, by mass, more plastic garbage floating in the seas than there are fish.

I won't see the end results - I have only about 15 to at most 20 more years in my lifespan, but my kids might see it. I am preparing for them to survive it.

That is the long term "collapse" I am prepping for. It is already happening, right in front of our eyes.

It is interesting to me that many preppers/survivalists talk about the "sheep" but because this scenario conflicts with their political beliefs (or rather, what their political "leaders" tell them to believe, because those "leaders" are bought and paid for by the corps doing the damage, who in turn only care about quarterly profits), they chose to naively deny this could happen, much less that it is currently happening.

The human race is more or less doomed by its own stupidity. :rolleyes:

Observation #1:
Nothing you said do I disagree with.
Observation #2:
You are *such* a killjoy.

Finally put together a designated "light out" bag, vs grabbing a bunch of stuff if the lights go out. Found a nice red tool bag at ross for $7, picked up one of those 6v spotlight floating flashlights from lowes for $4, a few other things ive been meaning to add to the kit from $1 tree (including some of those retied vegas card decks for entertainment), and added that to my rag tag kit I already kinda had. The idea is its enough to get the house lit and everyone settled, then I can move on to heat, ect from supplies stored in the garage.

Also repaired the bent shell tube on my mossberg, and added a few more things to my prep list that I need to buy in the near future.

Ordered a "RATS" tourniquet R.A.T.S. Rapid Application Tourniquet System - Black ,
41zENHlMh9L._SX90_.jpg

a trauma kit Adventure Medical Kits Professional Trauma Pak Kit with QuikClot
5160EeMACvL._SX90_.jpg

a handheld microphone for my HAM radio Wouxun SMO-001 Remote Speaker
41kcVqYqTDL._SY90_.jpg

from Amazon.

Re-filled my 5 gallon water jugs for water storage, made some whole wheat hardtack, picked bundled and hung some herbs from the garden, crushed some others up that have been hanging and refilled a few containers on the spice rack, made a document binder vs loose crap in my desk, started organizing my canned goods and realized I need a better system lol.

Put together an emergency gun cleaning kit. Two pill bottle ranger banded together, one marked with an O for Oil, one S for Solvent. I then took two pill cases (The white plastic ones from Safeway in the 90s) and folded some .22-.25 size patches to fit. Same for some 7.62 patches in the other and marked them before ranger banding them together. Going to work fine considering that I carry the surplus cleaning kit anywhere my AK goes.

We are putting an offer in for some land in Idaho for bug out Locatin #2 after lunch today. Gotta love the prices, just under 200 acres and a nice 1400 SF house for under 200k The home is 3 bed 2 bath, complete solar setup, generator to pump water from the well, that the seller says produces 35 gpm, to the 2500 gallon cistern.

I've had two of them myself this is my third, I actually set out to buy an XR 650 L but they made me a closeout deal on this 2016 KLR of $5450, almost $1400 bucks off MSRP and $1200 cheaper than the XR. Made it hard to say no :D

We are putting an offer in for some land in Idaho for bug out Locatin #2 after lunch today. Gotta love the prices, just under 200 acres and a nice 1400 SF house for under 200k The home is 3 bed 2 bath, complete solar setup, generator to pump water from the well, that the seller says produces 35 gpm, to the 2500 gallon cistern.

Nice! Any out buildings? & how's the land / neighboring property situation (grazing/water/access rights etc)?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top