JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very few Labrador retrievers are protective. And most Newfies arent either. That doesn't mean there aren't individuals in the breeds that are protective. But they aren't what you would get if protection was a concern. At the top of the list for breeds that are often good personal and home protection dogs are German shepherds, Belgian malinois, Dobermans, and Rottweilers. Even with these its best to pick a pup from a family and line known for protection. German shepherds are especially of many lines. Those from seeing eye dog lines need to be mellow with strangers, for example. There are many other breeds on the list, but many of them are also on lists that are banned in certain cities, states, or countries or by many insurance companies and for which ownership of the dog can make your property uninsurable. Breeds of dogs that make good protection dogs are often strongly dominant dogs that need a lot of socialization as pups to avoid their being aggressive with strangers. Big dogs need a lot of food. And mostly don't live all that long. They are generally starting to lose their hearing and/or vision by about age ten and die by about 12. Owning a dog greatly limits where you can live. Most landlords don't rent go people with dogs, especially big dogs.
If you want a Lab with protective instincts, look for what's called a "Gladiator"--a half Lab half Doberman mix. Irony is one of those pups--we were raised together and were more like "inter-species siblings" than "family member and pet"--was about the only dog I've gotten along well with and closer than most people. Playful like a Lab--problem when your Lab gets big enough that his chew toys are CAR BUMPERS--but all the protectiveness of a Dobie too, Trojan was always putting himself between the rest of us and whatever tripped his alerts at the first sign of anything he thought suspicious.

We never trained him beyond housebreaking, just being raised among us we were "his pack" and he was gonna protect his pack at all cost.

Was going to say, yea - just make sure they're not mixed with a husky because mine is a derp:

View attachment 1436880

That being said, when my mother in law's dog decided to punk out, the switch semi flipped and my pup walled off my daughter and I'm decently certain would have put the hurt on if I hadn't thrown the other dog into another room.

She's been bit by other dogs too aggressive for a dog park and just shrugged it off - but add in my daughter or wife and yea, there's a switch.

Definitely makes me feel better when I'm away.
Awe:) Im sure your derpy dog has just as much love. Ive found w dog training over the years, its really just about finding the right motivation early on. But then again there has been a dog or too that there was just no way to break them! Lol I certainly felt that they were just the best and smartest and knew better like my current mama or they honestly just cant get it together:( My current 30lb boston terrier is all the protection ive needed. Shes quick, wont hesitate to take a quick bite to warn you and can move pretty quickly when being charged. She has no issue w dogs 4x her size and I once saw her literally bleed to death and keep going. She might be a bit too much like me! Lol jk Shes a huntress when it comes to her perimeter and honestly I wish she had these traits before I bred her because I would have trained her for retrieving instead of companionship:) She took a chunk out of my exs face once for him play wrestling w me. Grabbed me a bit too hard and I instinctively said ouch and all 4 dogs charged but she got there first. She's literally my shadow. I dont think another dog is safe while shes alive! Im gonna have too wait till she passes or is so senile she can't function before I introduce a new dog in this house.

If you want a Lab with protective instincts, look for what's called a "Gladiator"--a half Lab half Doberman mix. Irony is one of those pups--we were raised together and were more like "inter-species siblings" than "family member and pet"--was about the only dog I've gotten along well with and closer than most people. Playful like a Lab--problem when your Lab gets big enough that his chew toys are CAR BUMPERS--but all the protectiveness of a Dobie too, Trojan was always putting himself between the rest of us and whatever tripped his alerts at the first sign of anything he thought suspicious.

We never trained him beyond housebreaking, just being raised among us we were "his pack" and he was gonna protect his pack at all cost.
Those are good points. I remember all the large dog toys and food we had w spark plug! Lol he was a tank!

Was going to say, yea - just make sure they're not mixed with a husky because mine is a derp:

View attachment 1436880

That being said, when my mother in law's dog decided to punk out, the switch semi flipped and my pup walled off my daughter and I'm decently certain would have put the hurt on if I hadn't thrown the other dog into another room.

She's been bit by other dogs too aggressive for a dog park and just shrugged it off - but add in my daughter or wife and yea, there's a switch.

Definitely makes me feel better when I'm away.
I understand the husky derp. My 1 year old siberian is a very well trained and very obedient dog, but man he's definitely got the husky derp

You're a far better person than I. I'm afraid I'd be planning his demise for after his release.
Glad to hear you're healing. I can't even imagine going through what you've been through.
You can forgive and still plan murders! Lol its honestly part of coping and as long as you don't really act on it, legally your one step above the bubblegumface who started it… lol

I'm an eye-for-an-eye kind of dude. I don't want to suggest anything nefarious here but why tf should the OP plan on hiding? Maybe prepper pussinboots should be the one planning where to hide. I don't think OP should have to assume to be the victim for life here. Gotta stand up to bullies. Easier said than done I know :( .....just piszes me off........
This is originally why I never appeared in court in person. I did not trust myself not to go to jail! Lol at this point ive calmed down extremely but I still have days where I day dream kicking his face into a curb🤷‍♀️

This is originally why I never appeared in court in person. I did not trust myself not to go to jail! Lol at this point ive calmed down extremely but I still have days where I day dream kicking his face into a curb🤷‍♀️
Very sensible, Marla.
I suspect having vengeance filled fantasies is indeed part of the recovery process.
I'm minded of cultures where you make a doll symbolizing the one to whom you wish ill and poke it with pins or do various awful things to it while wishing your enemy ill. That must be pretty cathartic, even if you don't believe it will cause anything bad to happen to the enemy.

It could be full of comic relief too. You could, for example, while wishing him seriously awful uncurable things, also wish him crabs, ring worms, baldness, cavities in all his teeth, bad breath, and a big boil on his bum.

Last Edited:
Very sensible, Marla.
I suspect having vengeance filled fantasies is indeed part of the recovery process.
I'm minded of cultures where you make a doll symbolizing the one to whom you wish ill and poke it with pins or do various awful things to it while wishing your enemy ill. That must be pretty cathartic, even if you don't believe it will cause anything bad to happen to the enemy.

It could be full of comic relief too. You could, for example, while wishing him seriously awful uncurable things, also wish him crabs, ring worms, baldness, cavities in all his teeth, bad breath, and a big boil on his bum.
I lived in the south, ive seen voodoo! Lol possibly couldnt hurt! Lol jk

Very sensible, Marla.

More specifically, make it a festering pustule right IN the pucker. *evil laugh* I'd say silverfish, except that I'm a book person and while some people totally deserve it their libraries don't.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top