JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I honestly dont know what his full intentions were except that he meant to kill me and he failed. It was written up as a domestic violence dispute because in the state of Washington thats what you are if youve gone out on a single date. In reality we were just trying to work out being friends. I trusted this person completely. They had been in my home. Seen my security system. Agreed with me on everything I was doing. But unfortunately I was too set into my grief having recently lost my father 3 months earlier to a nasty form of cancer. I did not see the signs or stop to think about why he was incredibly super nice until unfortunately it was too late, He shot me in the head. I know what you're thinking. Im lucky. This isnt true. How could she been so stupid? Believe me! I think the same things to myself daily for the last month. But there are ppl in this world that are just the best at lying, and unfortunately, even with my great skills he got one over on me and it almost ended my life. This post isn't intended to scare anyone, as it is an eye opener to the increasingly steady amount of violence that is surrounding us in the Washington and Portland areas. It will be an open discussions on what you do and what happens when you survive such a horrific situation. Its not a post to be overly masculine or enraged in so please, egos in the back seat! If you care to talk and share I will be more than happy to discuss things, but I am not here to be anyone's punching bag so if you have an off hand comment and nothing helpful to contribute, please keep it to yourself. More later!
I know this will upset some of you, but there are some good points in these replies. I wont finish this story till the trial is over. Thank you for the people who were supportive and or funny! We all need to learn to laugh at our misfortunes too survive them.
I felt that this story went along with prepping because you need a community of preppers to be successful but its a great reminder of not letting your guard down for the wrong people even when they seem right.
To the people who mentioned Chris Kyle💜, I adore him and try my best to live my life the same. In the past I have been hurt by what I had done for veterans and since my father was the veteran and not myself. I have taken temporary leave of working with disabled veterans because of still handling the loss of my veteran father and still recouping from what the last veteran had done to me physically. Helping and being in the service of others who have experienced such heinous acts of destruction such as being ground zero in a war zone and surviving is not an easy task. I commend Chris Kyle for his helping heart and all the other workers who put in the efforts daily💜 with that being said, I have survived a bullet, blood infection, scalp, infection, hair loss, tinnitus, nerve damage, possibility of blindness and Im still fighting a blood clot that can take me at any moment. I am still here:) I am still strong! I am still fighting for 2A and if you see me on the range, just be patient with me. The ptsd is the worst:( oh and to the member that commented on me being so calm… I am a trained emt:) and Im mostly Irish! If we can do one thing, its knowing how to tell a good story:D

Last Edited:
I think its this

401px-INF3-232-Anti-rumour-and-careless-talk-You.jpg

How about "don't get caught up in the superficial when making your plans"? In this case the superficial would be the shared concept of prepping, but in real life we all do this to varying degrees. Think back over your life, did you ever have a friend that was a friend because you worked together, liked the same sports team, maybe related in a vague way enough that you saw each other frequently at social functions? We all have people in our lives that we consider friends that if all the cards where on the table we might decide to limit contact and when the stakes are raised to the level of prepping it would pay to be extra particular and carful with someone that you will more than likely only see at BBQ's and maybe hangout with once in a while, but there is also a small chance you may end up hiding in the prickle brush with them, so. . .

Once a very long time ago I was dating a fantastic young lady that on paper could not have been better. One night someone turned left in front of me across a double yellow, it was a simple driving correction, not great but not tragic, until it almost was when she lunged from her seat and grabbed my left arm in a death grip which made driving a stick a bigger challenge. Even at that young age I knew that if that was the way she would react in an emergency we were not a long-term fit, mostly because she would decrease the chances of there ever being a "long term" :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
@MarlaSinger
I am glad that you survived.

Life often turns on a dime...and rarely gives you change back.

Take this experience and learn from it.
That said...
The lessons learned may be long in coming and change over time.
As far as trust goes....I would suggest :
Not letting this experience keep you from trusting those who deserve your trust...
Otherwise your "friend" is still exerting some control over you.
Andy

Last Edited:
Glad you are around to post this @MarlaSinger . Cautionary tales (our own and from others) are reminders to us all that evil walks the earth. Not everyone, not even most people. But its presence is there.
But there are ppl in this world that are just the best at lying
...and manipulating, and hurting and being very terrible human beings. And they have radar (or social engineering skills) to home in on this with people. Sociopaths, psychopaths and malignant narcissists have always roamed the earth. Goes back to Cain and Abel. Prayers for both a physical and emotional recovery for you.

Trust is best earned. There is not one person on this planet that I trust completely besides myself. Everybody is your enemy or competition, they're only not your enemy when you have a common enemy and even then can only be trusted to a certain point.

This is a tragic story, told in a way that yields a sense of casualness and calm. I'm a bit confused by the way it was presented and the requests to not be a punching bag or reply with any masculine ego.............?

Before the ragging gets out of hand, I know the OP and the story is true. There are news articles about it but I'll not post them unless it is okay with her.

I have so many questions. Intentional or accidental? If intentional, why was the job not "finished"? Also, what was the motive? Were your preps stolen? You said you went on one date, and forgive my intrusion, I'm assuming it wasn't "successful" so maybe he was mad about that and wanted an easy score?

What happened to the guy afterwords?

Get some professional help from a good, objective therapist. You can't sort through an event like this alone. This is a life altering event and self introspection can be destructive. I hope you can overcome this tragedy.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your dad, the passing of a loved one is never easy. Also, very sorry to hear of you being shot, let alone by someone that was suppose to be a trusted friend. My only advise is do not allow either of these tragedies be the defining moment of your life.

Also, what was the motive?
Ditto. Why?

I don't think someone would try to kill me, but I have an ex that is revengeful, manipulative and mentally ill.

I've also been manipulated by others. Maybe they sense how naïve I sometimes am?

So, I have trust issues. Makes it hard to have friends whom I trust and/or relationships.

I don't trust people whom are simple acquaintances (co-workers and associates) - I used to, but have had too many who were nice to my face and trying to stab me in the back in reality. I don't even completely trust my neighbors, and I've known them for decades and they have been friendly/kind to me. Most of this is because I am sure there is a façade there, and I don't know what they say/think about me in private.

Even my own family - people I have known all my life. I am their family, but they have their spouses and kids, and I would expect them to put those first before a sibling. The only person I really trust is my daughter - but even there I keep things from her because she doesn't need the additional stress.

If this was a recent occurrence (sounds like it was) I would be cautious about posting any details if there are any pending legal or civil actions. What you say in a public forum can affect your case, often not in a good way.

Doesn't matter what the circumstance was, people go off their nut more commonly than we expect.
@MarlaSinger, glad you survived.
Can you recall any tells that you ignored?
Look at what happened to Chris Kyle, talk about a guy with "great skills" which made no difference.

I tell my kids (and myself), trust intuition.
And your dog, anytime my dog doesn't like someone I know they're a scumbag.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews