JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw the Bloomberg story, it's potentially serious.

It took the stroke of a pen in 1968 to end all the rights and free market the ads here represented just a few years ago. Bloomberg wants the guns, and wouldn't hesitate to sign an act or order to end our rights entirely.

I'm guessing this old advertisement for a Colt Police Positive Revolver is pre-WWI, given that model was introduced in 1907 and the style of cop uniform. Since the ad references Catalogue No. 85 perhaps there is a NWFA member who is a Colt historian and can more definitely pin down the year this ad ran. With a little imagination perhaps the caliber is the newly introduced .38 Colt New Police? The Police Positive proved to be a very successful firearm for Colt which they manufactured for 88 years.*

1649623149825.png

*(including the Police Positive Special)

Last Edited:
The original plastic gun. Something tells me that Mattel is no longer advertising this "M-16 Marauder" (from 1967). And just image if a kid these days brought this toy to school to play with...
1649630961411.png

Suits and hats while handling guns....gotta love it.

View attachment 269938

View attachment 269938
A young buck of today might think they dressed up for the occasion. Fact of the matter is, if you were to look at other photos' from the end of the 18's to the 1950's, it would not be uncommon to see folks fishing, plowing fields, milking cows and a variety of other things wearing suits and fedoras, ties too! That's because of the thrift once practiced by most before the throwaway world started somewhere in the sixties. Back then, people actually dressed up for church, Funerals, social events Meetings etc, Then, when the clothes became thread bare or otherwise out of favor they would continue to wear them all the way out for work and play. I started life on the waning edge of those times and miss them dearly. In general, it just seemed people wore more respectful of one another back then.

I'm guessing this old advertisement for a Colt Police Positive Revolver is pre-WWI, given that model was introduced in 1907 and the style of cop uniform. Since the ad references Catalogue No. 85 perhaps there is a NWFA member who is a Colt historian and can more definitely pin down the year this ad ran. With a little imagination perhaps the caliber is the newly introduced .38 Colt New Police? The Police Positive proved to be a very successful firearm for Colt which they manufactured for 88 years.*

View attachment 1174400

*(including the Police Positive Special)
You can email Colt and they'll tell you when that catalogue was released, if that info is available.

Last Edited:
A young buck of today might think they dressed up for the occasion. Fact of the matter is, if you were to look at other photos' from the end of the 18's to the 1950's, it would not be uncommon to see folks fishing, plowing fields, milking cows and a variety of other things wearing suits and fedoras, ties too! That's because of the thrift once practiced by most before the throwaway world started somewhere in the sixties. Back then, people actually dressed up for church, Funerals, social events Meetings etc, Then, when the clothes became thread bare or otherwise out of favor they would continue to wear them all the way out for work and play. I started life on the waning edge of those times and miss them dearly. In general, it just seemed people wore more respectful of one another back then.
This is a picture of my great grandfather standing with his Harley. He's wearing a suit, tie and hat along with riding gloves.

Scan_20220410.jpg

And just image if a kid these days brought this toy to school to play with...
Well....
If a student at my school *, brought that in...
I'd take it from him...and remind him that toys do not come to school.
He could pick up after school and take it home with him.
Easy and no real issue.
Andy
*I'm the Dean of Students at a elementary school.

An advertisement for the 45 ACP Thompson "Anti-Bandit" gun, better known as the Tommy Gun, or what General Thompson himself called a "trench broom." I'm guessing the era is sometime around mid-1920s? Love the sales pitch: "Sold only on the side of law and order!"

1649648279659.png

Peters "rustless" ammunition. Made by Dupont/Remington. The "Peters Power" ad is from 1957. I knew Dupont owned Remington for most of the 20th century, but never heard of Peters ammo as part of the Dupont/Remington family. Searching found dozens if not hundreds of Peters ads (they started in the 19th century), so left with the impression they were a fairly big player back in the day. Second pic below is a current view of the abandoned Peters manufacturing facility in Kings Mills, Ohio (note the "P" in the tower that was their logo). Makes me wonder what happened to Peters?

1649651557357.png
1649652905483.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews