JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it just me or are firearms and ammunition going up in price? It seems everything in the for sale ads anymore is retail +10, I don't get it. Glad I've stocked up on ammo, components, and guns and don't need to buy anything right away.

Is it just me or are firearms and ammunition going up in price? It seems everything in the for sale ads anymore is retail +10, I don't get it. Glad I've stocked up on ammo, components, and guns and don't need to buy anything right away.
When I see "stuff" for sale at a price that "looks" to me to be too high? I have to guess the seller does not really want to sell the item, is only willing to sell if someone decides to pay that price, does not know what the item is really worth? Who knows, probably combination of all these.

I really believe that some people think that they should get retail for their dusty ammo boxes that have been sitting in the garage for the last 10 years. After all, it's not used now is it!

I think a lot of it is that people think of guns and ammo as a for profit deal driven by the current political climate. You better buy now at more than I paid for it because soon it might not be available. Missing the point that whatever is still readily available at what they paid or less in the common market.

I remember back in the 90's dickering with H&B pawn downtown Portland over a nice used Interarms Mark X mauser in 300 Winchester, They wanted 225$ and I was going to pay no more than 200$. The fire arm did not come home with me. Today that same rifle would sell for around 600$ if not more. The price of firearms have definitely become more exspensive

Despite new technology the cost of domestic mfg. has gone up. The skilled machinists who carried American industry during the Cold War are retired and the good ones that remain are demanding high wages. This doesn't affect polymer framed guns so much, but lever rifles, revolvers, and other precision parts are way behind schedule. It is very hard to find good people right now, even for the front office. I just hired an admin and the quality of candidates was shockingly bad compared to just a few years ago. I think the Covid giveaways and lockdowns poisoned the well for a long time to come.

The prices in the classifieds is also people trying to pass along price increases in their own lives, from insurance to groceries. And there's also people like my father who believes all of his old obsolete junk is worth a fortune, until one day he ends up having to throw it all out because nobody will pay his prices.

The skilled machinists who carried American industry during the Cold War are retired and the good ones that remain are demanding high wages
Well. The average Machinists wages haven't kept up with inflation unlike the average CEO salaries.

As for the price increases... it's why I may as well as buy new direct from manufacturers or in retail stores.

The problem with buying new is that there arent a lot of new guns with the craftsmanship of the older guns ( not all old guns ) like the pre-64's FN's mausers and such for under a couple a thousand dollars. When I look at the new guns being made today you rarely see deep blueing and quality wood - you see tupperware and cerokote on a mass produced rifle. I am not a fan of todays new firearms. I will continue to buy the older guns.

Everything is going up. You should check out new car prices.
Not just that. When we bought our new Honda CRV in '05 I never even looked under the thing to see what an oil change would entail. I thought you had to remove a skid plate. And oil changes were $19.99 at the dealer. Some years later $29,99, still good. Then $39.99. Maybe with with a coupon. When they went to $50.00 I decided to take a look underneath. Started doing my own on the CRV like I did on two other vehicles, boat-motor/lower end/brakes, belts/hoses, power equipment, like I'd been doing most of my life. I'd still take the Honda in with a coupon at $45.00 sometimes. They sent an email for money off the oil change/tire rotation(did the rotation myself a month ago), for $89.95!! But-Hey, that's a savings from the REGULAR price of $109.95!!! WTF
$25.00 for oil, $6.99 for a filter And you know these bastrerds buy their oil by the drum.
They wanted $700.00 for the 110,000mile valve adjustment. Same tools/wrench sizes, process as I used doing the valves on a Honda 750 motor cycle in 1977.

1697731545185.png

1697731379994.png

1697732138065.png

1697731294470.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Well. The average Machinists wages haven't kept up with inflation unlike the average CEO salaries.
The average machinist is not as knowledgeable as they used to be and the work ethic isn't there. A good machinist and set-up man who can do his own program edits will always command a handsome salary and benefits. The old guys could troubleshoot anything, they knew the business from the ground up. There are a handful of young guys who are really talented, and earning big bucks. Most just play on their phones all day and hit the cycle/stop button and show no interest in learning. Quitting time comes and they are tumbling out the door without a second to lose. It's not just manufacturing either, all industries are suffering from a lack of talented people.

Not just that. When we bought our new Honda CRV in '05 I never even looked under the thing to see what an oil change would entail. I thought you had to remove a skid plate. And oil changes were $19.99 at the dealer. Some years later $29,99, still good. Then $39.99. Maybe with with a coupon. When they went to $50.00 I decided to take a look underneath. Started doing my own on the CRV like I did on two other vehicles, boat-motor/lower end/brakes, belts/hoses, power equipment, like I'd been doing most of my life. I'd still take the Honda in with a coupon at $45.00 sometimes. They sent an email for money off the oil change/tire rotation(did the rotation myself a month ago), for $89.95!! But-Hey, that's a savings from the REGULAR price of $109.95!!! WTF
$25.00 for oil, $6.99 for a filter And you know these bastrerds buy their oil by the drum.
They wanted $700.00 for the 110,000mile valve adjustment. Same tools/wrench sizes, process as I used doing the valves on a Honda 750 motor cycle in 1977.
My Tundra takes 8.5 quarts of synthetic :s0005:

The average machinist is not as knowledgeable as they used to be and the work ethic isn't there. A good machinist and set-up man who can do his own program edits will always command a handsome salary and benefits. The old guys could troubleshoot anything, they knew the business from the ground up. There are a handful of young guys who are really talented, and earning big bucks. Most just play on their phones all day and hit the cycle/stop button and show no interest in learning. Quitting time comes and they are tumbling out the door without a second to lose.
Oh, I understand you on that. Went to NTID for machinist program, at that time the professors and machines were old and we were taught on Bridgeports and Proto-Trak equipped machines; and then CNC machines. It required 2 internships to get the degree, now I hear that it's just one and a lot less focus on the old machines and more programming and CNC operation,

It was a 3 year Associates program with requirements to pass basic draft reading (blueprint reading), statistic control and analysis, CAD, CNC programming using MasterCam X (when I graduated in 2007) and Trigonometry, in addition to "lab"(shop) time.

But it's not just the workers it seems.

Companies don't train workers as much as they used to from what I could see, and they're more willing to turnover more workers to keep costs down and reduce training periods and just use more automation (button pushing only)

Just like electronics - I was trained with a oscilliscope and multimeter how to track signals through a circuit board.. You replaced the component not the whole board. You had to be able to read the schematics and understand logic circuits to see what went in and what came out. Today you replace the whole board or module. The ones designing these circuits are designing in such a fashion a trained monkey can swap boards. I must be getting old because I see a lot of things I cant appreciate. People talk about AI with out understanding the underlying principles behind the process. Kind of like using calculators before you understand the math behind it.

Age discrimination also seems to play into the lack of knowledge out there. Schools are definitely teaching less practical stuff; kids are going out into the world with the expectations to not need to know just how things work, how to fix, how to create with hands, and how to maintain things... colleges aren't providing as much practical skills training unless it's a trade school; and companies aren't looking at older workers with experience and skills that aren't being taught, but have the expectation that the college grad has the same skills and experience, unless they're looking to fill middle management/foremen/trainer type of positions, and add in requirements like Bachelors degrees or Masters degrees in business

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top