JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Current usage: Accidental discharge is the term persistently used by liberal media to describe any occasion when someone special, privileged, or in a "protected class", negligently discharges a firearm.

I think it's impossible for an incident to be both accidental and negligence at the same time. It is rare, however possible, to accidentally be in exactly the right place to purposely get yourself shot. Oh, and there's some negligence in this story, too.

Witness the occasion (which will forever be officially disavowed by the US Secret Service) when an agent was - by sheer chance and luck - alert enough and close enough to Lady Bird J. to leap in and take some bird shot in the buttocks. Said shot was fired by a hunting party member so excited to see a pheasant flush that he paid no regard to the bird's flight path: low and directly over the vehicle where Lady Bird was sitting.

The agent's words, enshrined only in the memory of fellow agents, "I saved Lady Bird! I saved Lady Bird!"

Her muffled words at the time were only reported vaguely (prudently?) by those present . . . something to the effect, Get off me, would you just get off from me?

Last Edited:
When I go look at guns at a gun store or a pawn shop I always rack the slide. The sales person always racks the slide as well before handing me the weapon as well. I have never have had a loaded gun handed to me at any gun store yet.

The terminology has changed. The situations covered by "AD" and "ND" are the same.

For the sake of conversation, how would your rifle go off while walking with it?
No one asked me if the termonlolgy could change. Just like nobody asked me to vote to elect the Dallas Cowboy as "America's Team" :cool:
I have. A guy I was shooting with had a saiga 12 and either fired 9/10 rounds in the mag, left a round in the chamber before inserting the next mag or somehow loaded 11 rounds into a 10 round mag. He thought he shot all of them (these guns don't lock back on empty) and happily smacked the butt of the gun on the ground. It went bang. We all pooped a little. Did the trigger move? Maybe. All I know for sure is the firing pin hit the primer and nobody's hand was near the trigger.
With respect, that is pretty clear negligence in my world. 1) Wasn't aware of what he loaded into the gun (likely not a big deal if the remaining items don't follow, but one should pay attention to detail when handling firearms). 2) He didn't visually and physically check the chamber and consider using a chamber flag...especially with a firearm that does not have a slide lock, required at many ranges for a reason 3) Smacking the butt of a firearm on the ground is not found anywhere in the "Safe gun handling handbook"
But Colonel Cooper says there are only 4 safety rules. 😉
Actually, he cut it down to four because he thought the military had too many for anyone to remember. He found these four pretty much cover how to not shoot yourself or others, unless they need shooting.
1. Treat every weapon as if it was loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at something you don't intend to shoot.
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire.
4. Keep the weapon on safe until you're ready to fire.
5. Know your target and what is beyond it.
I know you know this but for some of the newer members here, number 4 is not Cooper's. The safety comes off once the gun is pointed toward the target (i.e., rotated out of the holster) because now it is just like any other SF gun. The primary safety becomes the person holding the firearm. This is also why guns with manual safeties are not any slower (or faster) than guns without them when coming out of the holster. Where #4 on your list comes in beneficial is when moving on uneven terrain in the dark or similar situations.

From a few decades in law enforcement, as someone else noted, if the officer is in custody my money is on a third-party female involved somehow, and likely alcohol. If this is the case, it would not matter if it was a Glock or not...:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top