JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Peters "rustless" ammunition. Made by Dupont/Remington. The "Peters Power" ad is from 1957. I knew Dupont owned Remington for most of the 20th century, but never heard of Peters ammo as part of the Dupont/Remington family. Searching found dozens if not hundreds of Peters ads (they started in the 19th century), so left with the impression they were a fairly big player back in the day. Second pic below is a current view of the abandoned Peters manufacturing facility in Kings Mills, Ohio (note the "P" in the tower that was their logo). Makes me wonder what happened to Peters?

View attachment 1174793
View attachment 1174816
seems like about 15 years ago was about the last time i saw a box of "peters" 12ga. i found a pic of what it looked like. says remington, dupont and peters on the box. last place i bought it was bimart around 2006-2007.
07D2229C-2779-4525-8354-B3CDE9337E1E.jpeg 58421790-FC0D-4ACF-90AD-9BC84BD2A365.png

seems like about 15 years ago was about the last time i saw a box of "peters" 12ga. i found a pic of what it looked like. says remington, dupont and peters on the box. last place i bought it was bimart around 2006-2007.
View attachment 1174840View attachment 1174841
I bought a box of those back when I got my 20 gauge, just to test it out.
Seems like they were on sale. $1.99 maybe?

Long after Remington bought Peters... In modern years, Remington and Peters was the same ammo, just as Winchester and Western is the same ammo. The only differences are the brands and artwork on the packages and headstamps on the cartridges themselves. In the old days we'd see R-P (Remington-Peters) headstamps, as well as W-W (Winchester-Western) headstamps.

There are numerous marketing reasons for Peters to be highlighted in one store, and Remington in another.

Last Edited:
All this discussion about Peters ammo is very interesting, and goes to show just how popular that brand was. But does anyone know what happened to them? Why is Peters ammo no longer in business? Seems there must be a business story there somewhere...

The good ol' days before the GCA of 1968. Parents remember this stuff from the days long gone where you would have gun racks in trucks, high school shooting teams, gun safety classes in school, but now we live in a society where you get expelled for chewing a poptart into a "gun". Lord help us.

All this discussion about Peters ammo is very interesting, and goes to show just how popular that brand was. But does anyone know what happened to them? Why is Peters ammo no longer in business? Seems there must be a business story there somewhere...
Both Peters and The Union Metallic Cartridge Company were absorbed by Remington.
Wikipedia said:
Remington Arms purchased the Peters Cartridge Company in 1934.[5] Facilities were expanded during World War II to include the federally owned Kings Mills Ordnance Plant manufacturing military ammunition on an adjacent hill south of the Peters factory complex. Production of military ammunition ended in March 1944...
1649811389257.png

The Union Metallic Cartridge Company (aka "U.M.C.")...
Wikipedia said:
The Union Metallic Cartridge Company (UMC) was an early manufacturer of cartridge ammunition for small arms. The company was founded in 1867 during the most rapid evolution of cartridge design to date.[1] Following merger with Remington Arms in 1912, the company manufacturing complex in Bridgeport, Connecticut became a major arms supplier during World War I. The factory was Remington headquarters until 1984 and the source of sporting and police ammunition headstamped REM-UMC until 1970.
1649811547518.png

Last Edited:
Wayno,

Is that something currently available?
Yes it is. Remington is selling their ammo directly to consumers, including these paper shotshells.

With Remington's meltdown and eventual change of ownership, I was surprised to see this very recent ad.

Last Edited:
Gotta love the marketeers....apparently, we've been doing it wrong all this time.
Wanna reduce recoil? USE PAPER HULLS!
....Good Lord...:s0108:

Looks like there might be a plastic hull version as well, and those are for sale...

...no paper hulls came up on a quick Google search.

Last Edited:
The link I provided shows paper shells available and ready to order...
1649855982732.png
The links you've been providing has been from Remington's website.
The links I provided were from a cursory search of retailers and none showed paper shells available (yet), even when I specified paper shells in my search criteria.
At this point, I gotta wonder if Remington isn't exploring the "secondary make" idea, like Federal does with Estate shells.
If this proves successful enough, we might see the return of Western "brand", as a second line from Winchester.

Some Adamy ads. Gebruder Adamy worked in management for J.P. Sauer in early 1900s and his brother Franz worked in gun making for Sauer. They formed their own company in 1921 making some of the best handmade guns in the world. Notable customers include Ernest Hemingway.

195C32E3-D4B3-4B98-9C98-8B8128B103AB.jpeg
8CA064AC-E6C3-476F-A63D-22E400B03DA2.jpeg
D67CD6BB-2451-4B2B-BFC8-2723A1EA927C.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads