JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was gonna say like you'd have done better and then I remembered whom I was talking to. :D

I will say this - it looked to me like he was trying to get the guy's head down, and once he did, he took more carefully aimed shots. I don't think he's as bad as you're making it out to be. Lots of room for improvement, but good enough to get the job done at the time.
I'll admit I'm a pessimist…. Haha

I just see stuff like this and think how it would be handled if things were reversed…..

How would it come across or been handled if the Trooper wasn't close and an armed citizen engaged the individual with 47 rounds? Safe or not safe…..

How would the optics have changed if the Trooper would have hit another individual. Yes, I understand that it comes with the occupation. It just seems like everyone in the 2A "community" is quick to back a LEO simply cause they wear a badge.

Im glad no one was injured. Im glad the perp is no longer breathing. I just know it could have gone much worse. We learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others.

Im glad this scenario turned out the way it did.

I've touched off my 223 right there and 22 multiple times!
I just see stuff like this and think how it would be handled if things were reversed…..

How would it come across or been handled if the Trooper wasn't close and an armed citizen engaged the individual with 47 rounds? Safe or not safe…..

How would the optics have changed if the Trooper would have hit another individual. Yes, I understand that it comes with the occupation. It just seems like everyone in the 2A "community" is quick to back a LEO simply cause they wear a badge.

Im glad no one was injured. Im glad the perp is no longer breathing. I just know it could have gone much worse. We learn from our mistakes and the mistakes of others.

Im glad this scenario turned out the way it did.
I personally would have just ran him over....no need to waste ammo! If I did have to engage it would have been at a much closer distant. I wouldn't have been actively pursuing him, just defending myself and getting the hell out of the danger zone.

I've touched off my 223 right there and 22 multiple times!
I personally would have just ran him over....no need to waste ammo! If I did have to engage it would have been at a much closer distant. I wouldn't have been actively pursuing him, just defending myself and getting the hell out of the danger zone.
Same.

I think the officer did a heck of a job, so what if he fired 47 rounds, glad he had that much ammo- notice the individual that was attempting to carjack vehicles was across the creek by the time the officer confronted him. This appears to be pretty long handgun range. Shooting offhand with a pistol st this range is challenging, at best. Kudo's to the OSP officer and to the off duty officer that ran towards gunfire UNARMED!
So what? Where did all those rounds go? What happened to "You're responsible for every round you shoot?" There is a car dealership, a movie theater and a residential neighborhood in the background.

See the dirt trail with the donut at the end? That is what is seen in the background, that clearing between that and I-5 is where it went down .
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...m2!3d44.9428975!4d-123.0350963!16zL20vMGQyM2s

Last Edited:
Engagements at that range are why you have a rifle in your car!
Damn but that was a lucky officer. Kudo's to the retired officer for steppin' up and helping out.
I had occasion to slowly drive past that very spot twice this week, and it's WAY smaller than it looks on video. It's actually only a couple breaths larger than "bad-breath" range, believe it or not.

So what? Where did all those rounds go? What happened to "You're responsible for every round you shoot?" There is a car dealership, a movie theater and a residential neighborhood in the background.

See the dirt trail with the donut at the end? That is what is seen in the background, that clearing between that and I-5 is where it went down .
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...m2!3d44.9428975!4d-123.0350963!16zL20vMGQyM2s
Since no bystanders were observed or hit if seems to invalidate your claim. The car dealership, movie theater and residences all seem to be fine. You were not there and did not see the officers field of fire! More Monday morning quarterbacking from one of the apparently many that do not seem to like LEO. Look I am not an officer nor have I ever been one but these guys and gals have a rather tough job- THEY RUN TOWARDS GUNFIRE.

As Tuttle retreated, he continued to return fire, unloading the remaining rounds in his gun's chamber. 😂🤣

What happened to journalism…

Honestly if I had to hit some nut job trying to carjack me I'd probably end up in prison.

Because after I hit them and noticed the damage to my car I'd get out and mag dump them.... jkjk

Wait a minute- all this criticism of the OSP officer is crazy. I saw NOTHING wrong with his shooting technique, he was under fire (watch the bullet splashes around him when in the creek). He was alone without backup at the time, thought he had been wounded and was doing exactly the way he had been trained. Most have never been under fire, so to criticize someone that has been, is poor judgement (IMHO).
I do see it differently.
I am more of a supporter of law enforcement then most people I know, I give them alot of leeway before criticism because of the nature of their jobs. We as a society have basically hired them to do our dirty work and it is getting harder for them all the time. They deserve to go home unharmed to their families at the end of their shift, I overlook most questionable decisions they make that would not be overlooked if committed by a civilian...
But every individual is 100% responsible for each bullet they fire, and that OSP officer sent a lot of them off target. He was not providing cover fire for a fellow officer, he needs to try to make accurate shots...

Unfortunately this seems to be trend in many law enforcement departments. There are multiple YouTube badge camera videos where an officer in a car pursuit is driving and uses a rifle or pistol to shoot multiple shots thru his own windshield at a suspect fleeing at high speed ahead of him in a different moving vehicle. What are odds of that being successful and actually hitting the bad guy driving the other vehicle?

Since no bystanders were observed or hit if seems to invalidate your claim. The car dealership, movie theater and residences all seem to be fine. You were not there and did not see the officers field of fire! More Monday morning quarterbacking from one of the apparently many that do not seem to like LEO. Look I am not an officer nor have I ever been one but these guys and gals have a rather tough job- THEY RUN TOWARDS GUNFIRE.
:rolleyes: Yeah, okay, by all means spray away.

I do see it differently.
I am more of a supporter of law enforcement then most people I know, I give them alot of leeway before criticism because of the nature of their jobs. We as a society have basically hired them to do our dirty work and it is getting harder for them all the time. They deserve to go home unharmed to their families at the end of their shift, I overlook most questionable decisions they make that would not be overlooked if committed by a civilian...
But every individual is 100% responsible for each bullet they fire, and that OSP officer sent a lot of them off target. He was not providing cover fire for a fellow officer, he needs to try to make accurate shots...

Unfortunately this seems to be trend in many law enforcement departments. There are multiple YouTube badge camera videos where an officer in a car pursuit is driving and uses a rifle or pistol to shoot multiple shots thru his own windshield at a suspect fleeing at high speed ahead of him in a different moving vehicle. What are odds of that being successful and actually hitting the bad guy driving the other vehicle?
He had a good backstop. His initial shots got the bad guy in retreat mode, then he took more careful shots. From our armchairs I'm sure we all could have done ever so much better. Given the current state of LE recruitment, they're lucky to have the guy.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews