JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was reviewing the OSPs FICS 2022 Annual report (FICS 2022 Unit Overview) and thought I would pass on a few details and comments. Overall the volume of background checks in 2022 was up from last year, but still less than 2020. (2020 at 418,061 and 2022 at 393,868). What I find interesting is they never explicitly state how much of those get thu on "Instant check". It is implied that it is 38 percent as they state "on the average 38 percent of the requests received will process automatically." They say that every year with the same number, so I dunno how much credibility to give it, and I am assuming that means "Instant check", but then they never do explicitly state that. With 3 of the FFLs in 3 different gun dealers I have dealt with recently, each indicate the numbers getting thru are not that high, but that's a limited sample on my part.

The daily average of checks submitted ranged from a low of 521 on Mondays to a high average of 1,373 on Fridays. And then the biggie, Black Friday had 6055 in 2022!! They do not show the difference between prior to the 2022 election and post election submittals but I can get that from national data.

What is interesting; and perhaps not a surprise to anyone here, of those placed in the pending category (not instant) 48 percent took longer that 2 months to process. OSP defines anything that is not "instant goes to the pend or delay category "A background check will be placed in a "pend" or "delay" status when an approve or deny determination cannot be completed instantly," It would be interesting if they would discuss why the Oregon process is so inefficient compared to the direct FFL to NICS process that most States use that achieve an "Immediate Determination Rate" of 90 percent and roughly 98 percent within 3 days.

They (OSP-Fics) do acknowledge that with the ballot measure114 passage a backlog resulted but they never state the volume of that backlog. Such as what it was at the end of 2022. We pretty much know that it was somewhere between 29,000 and 32,000 but we are not the audience for this report. What I find interesting is that in order to gratuitously pat themselves on the back, they mention that the backlog was reduced by 37 percent as of January 31, 2023. Even though this is a 2022 year report they bring in 2023 to put themselves in a better light. Background check submittals did drop off in January so that gave them a chance to catch up a bit.

From the national NICS data
Oregon monthly average January thru October 2022 roughly 33,000,
November 2022-91,661
December 2022-76,437
and January 2023-56,173.

I want to know what criteria they use to determine who is an instant check or what puts someone in the queue for what I assume is a manual review by a person.

I want to know what criteria they use to determine who is an instant check or what puts someone in the queue for what I assume is a manual review by a person.
This is the only information they provide in the report that addresses it.
On average, approx. 38% of the requests received will process automatically. This automation can occur typically if there are no discrepancies regarding the identification used and there are no possible matches to data within the criminal justice databases used to conduct the background check.
I really don't know if the "process automatically" equates to instant clearing or not, they never say, i also question the 38 percent figure as they keep using it historically and never give an actual percent for the current year of the report. (On avererage approx??? they know exactly how many processed automatically in 2022, they are just not sayin.

Dear Stakeholder it states at the beginning!
What the heck is that??

2022 FICS Unit Overview_Final-page-001.jpg 2022 FICS Unit Overview_Final-page-002.jpg 2022 FICS Unit Overview_Final-page-003.jpg 2022 FICS Unit Overview_Final-page-004.jpg 2022 FICS Unit Overview_Final-page-005.jpg

Don't believe anything in a state report. I have been around the state business enough to see first hand how the truth is withheld or just a plain a lie to promote an agenda or hide poor performance.

How can they have a 2022 report out when they haven't finished 2022 background checks yet????
Last I saw they were only just getting to the background checks from the first week or so of December 2022.

I call BS!

They are required to issue annual reports so they correctly do calendar year reports. What they should have done is disclosed how many were still left in limbo and not yet processed at the end of 2022. They are reporting checks submitted and accomplishments for calendar year 2022, they likely do not want their "stakeholders" to know just how much of a backlog there is/was at end of 2022.
Its a pretty sloppy report by design, for example when i read the section staffing levels, no way can i figure out what the actual staffing level is as it is so convoluted. They also do have contradictory information as in one point they claim in the report that:
The number of transactions placed in pend or delay status each year has historically remained between 3-6%, and in each of the last 3 years has been less than 4%
that contradicts the statement that anything not in the automatically cleared "instant check" goes to the pend/delay category and stated that:
A background check will be placed in a "pend" or "delay" status when an approve or deny determination cannot be completed instantly,"
and:
On average, approx. 38% of the requests received will process automatically
If one believes that then approx 62 percent go to the pend/delay status. The report appears to be intentionally misleading and positive spin doctoring.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews