JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't found a single retail resource in the area to buy shotgun stuff from. Your best bet is to buy online through Ballistic Products Inc (BPI).

BPI has a good selection of shot shell reloading books, including specialty rounds like slugs and buckshot. I suggest you send for the books, study them, then you will have a better idea of what to buy.

Sharp metal objects will scratch a shotgun bore.

You might think about pre-made round lead balls, perhaps even products made for muzzle loaders. In a shot cup, patched, or pushed naked through the bore by a brush wad are all possibilities. You can look up decimal inch diameters of gauges and corresponding choke sizes. If the ball is going to be in a shot cup, just get a ball sized to the cup, choke diameter isn't an issue because to fit in the cup, the ball will be undersized to the choke. Usually, but be sure to check. A round lead ball can be a little bit oversized and still flow through a choked bore without issues because the bearing surface is so limited. You can look up forum threads on Google that address these possibilities.

If you're gonna do slugs, the BPI slug book might be a starting point. The easiest way to load slugs is to buy the ones that have an integral plastic nitro wad attached. Slug molds aren't cheap. The most widely used is the 12 ga. Lee slug mold.

You can also roll your own sabot slug shot shells, BPI sells those too and they are addressed in their slug load book. I've used sabots in my 28 ga. that were designed for black powder arms.

I've made a number of posts online here at NWFA about specialty shot shell loads. Which in turn have elicited reply posts. I don't have time to go back, look them up, and post links. But they are under the reloading and shotgun forums.

I like being able to make specialty loads for my shotguns, because it turns them into more versatile firearms.
Thank you thank you….
My search powers here fail all the time. I'm not taking all responsibility though….. the thread search "keywords" feature is a joke. At least in my experience. But I'll find what you're posting. Don't worry about pasties….

BPI … thx

ui_youknowyouwanna.jpg

Play with the simple, get the balls!

That's really cool…. Just reworked target shells?

I've seen YouTube videos using ball molds and loads.

Noticed in the thread that high brass is gimmicky… sweet. Got a lot out of that thread before it turned into an SnL South Park skit. Guess every thread ends up of the rails.

I love it here

Less lethal… gimmicks
Well I popped a couple of these kinetic rnds in my yard and a solid piece of plywood…. Small dent 40ft away pretty straight.

Except I was under the impression that these were pepper balls… I could have gotten robbed or they failed to bust. I really wanted to get a sense of how spicy these were… disappointing. Guess I'll have to drill into it to see. And smell….

Anyway they look primer fired?? Spec says 400-600 fps I think. I guess a little powder would fit in the wad.

Re-primed one… and found all components:
Shell, wad, sabot and TORPEDO BOMBSHELL.

I guess I'll open up a live one to check for powder.

Whatchall think?

Edit…. Nope..solid plastic

IMG_6078.jpeg IMG_6079.jpeg

I'm absolutely unhelpful for all of those questions, but as a suggestion.... load a few with rock-salt for less lethal defensive rounds...
Just dont leave them in the window sill, great granddad killed the neighbors bull eating his garden. The rock salt had solidified into a slug from the moisture in the window while the shells sat waiting for the bull to come back.

I'm absolutely unhelpful for all of those questions, but as a suggestion.... load a few with rock-salt for less lethal defensive rounds...
As effective as it might be it might not be the best idea to do this. If you have to use a firearm in self defense you will most likely end up in court, have fun explaining why you felt the need to use a gun but loaded it with a gnarly homemade "less lethal" round and god forbid you accidently kill the person with your "less lethal" rounds. Especially in the liberal PNW if you want less lethal get something purpose built for it and if you have to go lethal lets hope you have a good case to show you had 0 options but to use a firearm. Or if you dont want to/cant buy a purpose built less lethal weapon buy less lethal rounds from a reputable company so that if bubblegum goes sideways you can point at the company that made/marketed the round vs your box of salt in the cabinet.

Last Edited:
"Your honor, I loaded it with salt. I didn't want to kill em, I wanted ţo hurt em real real bad. Bet he ain't ever coming back."
Civil court is a thing and its not unheard of for burglars to sue the owner after getting hurt due to the home owners actions that hurt them. Always better when the judge only gets to hear your side of it.

"your honor I know I broke into his house but he shot me with some homemade rounds that really bubblegumed me up" doesn't sound good.

Also take into account how the courts here have been treating criminals, better that the criminal never ends up in court if you catch my drift

Deconstructed a couple target loads and practicing on range pickup.

Little length cutting template out of pipe.

Working my math out for 2" shells. Melted some lead today and waiting on Lee slug mold.

IMG_6107.jpeg IMG_6106.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews