JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These silicone slugs might do well for less than lethal loads.

1700544779967.png

Main question…. Anyone in sound (north/south) area that is familiar with brick and mortars with a selection… shot shell components? I like to hold stuff…
I haven't found a single retail resource in the area to buy shotgun stuff from. Your best bet is to buy online through Ballistic Products Inc (BPI).

2nd…. Suggest a reloading book for shotties?
BPI has a good selection of shot shell reloading books, including specialty rounds like slugs and buckshot. I suggest you send for the books, study them, then you will have a better idea of what to buy.

4th… what just doesn't work in shot shell….?
Sharp metal objects will scratch a shotgun bore.

3rd…. Slug molds…
In a cup (sabot) type thing, or full bore.. how do I figure that? Caliber/bore…
You might think about pre-made round lead balls, perhaps even products made for muzzle loaders. In a shot cup, patched, or pushed naked through the bore by a brush wad are all possibilities. You can look up decimal inch diameters of gauges and corresponding choke sizes. If the ball is going to be in a shot cup, just get a ball sized to the cup, choke diameter isn't an issue because to fit in the cup, the ball will be undersized to the choke. Usually, but be sure to check. A round lead ball can be a little bit oversized and still flow through a choked bore without issues because the bearing surface is so limited. You can look up forum threads on Google that address these possibilities.

If you're gonna do slugs, the BPI slug book might be a starting point. The easiest way to load slugs is to buy the ones that have an integral plastic nitro wad attached. Slug molds aren't cheap. The most widely used is the 12 ga. Lee slug mold.

You can also roll your own sabot slug shot shells, BPI sells those too and they are addressed in their slug load book. I've used sabots in my 28 ga. that were designed for black powder arms.

I've made a number of posts online here at NWFA about specialty shot shell loads. Which in turn have elicited reply posts. I don't have time to go back, look them up, and post links. But they are under the reloading and shotgun forums.

I like being able to make specialty loads for my shotguns, because it turns them into more versatile firearms.

3D print a sabot/hull that will hold a broadhead except without the shaft. Basically, shooting three razor blades. Imagine the penetration.

Or plastic buckshot filled with hydrogen peroxide. Both hygienic and painful.

Just found a roll crimper I'm going to try and working on component ideas, materials and equipment. I'm gonna make a small slug order from Graft and Son this weekend to try …

Only a smooth bore to play with for now.

Main question…. Anyone in sound (north/south) area that is familiar with brick and mortars with a selection… shot shell components? I like to hold stuff…

2nd…. Suggest a reloading book for shotties?

3rd…. Slug molds…
In a cup (sabot) type thing, or full bore.. how do I figure that? Caliber/bore…

4th… what just doesn't work in shot shell….?
4b…. Do I need to read any legal stuff in the state for naughty bang bangs for recreational experimentation?
Bacon. And watch taufladetmaus on YouTube.

Powder clouds sound cool, ground red pepper! Just got to be careful about which way the wind is blowing.
Skittles sound fun, bring on the effing rainbow!

Bacon. And watch taufladetmaus on YouTube.
Was going to mention just this. Link for reference; https://www.youtube.com/@taofledermaus

Lots of crazy shotty ideas in there. Some you will need a machine shop to replicate, others just a trip to the local hardware store/junk drawer. If you pay attention you can also glean some info on how to actually put the shells together, but given YouTube's policies on gun stuff you do have to infer the details.

A note; if you are going to cram stuff into a shell that is as hard or harder than the barrel it will need to be thoroughly protected with cups/sabots/packing materials as any direct contact with the barrel will cause permanent damage. Anything like screws, rocks or even some modern coins can be harder than the barrel material. Don't just cram that stuff into a hull and expect good things to happen. Also check your barrel after testing out unconventional shells. If you see barrel damage you will probably need to replace the barrel; internal scoring is a stress focus point and can cause the barrel to fail at far lower pressures than an undamaged barrel.

Play with the simple, get the balls!

Jews aren't to happy about them, either. In Indian enclaves, beef boullion cubes work wonders as well..
I am pretty sure the Jews could care less about getting shot with bacon bits. They only have prohibitions about *eating* the stuff, not general usage of those animal products for other applications. Muslims have an explicit prohibition about *contact* with pig products, so getting shot with bacon lubed bullets can (under certain interpretations) be construed as jeopardizing their entry into heaven.

Of course that is assuming any Muslims would be going to heaven in the first place. Given the exemplars we have of that religion in the world today I find such an assertion dubious, even before we get into theological arguments about "one true religion" etc. Can you "no true Scotsman" the majority out of an argument?

I am pretty sure the Jews could care less about getting shot with bacon bits. They only have prohibitions about *eating* the stuff, not general usage of those animal products for other applications. Muslims have an explicit prohibition about *contact* with pig products, so getting shot with bacon lubed bullets can (under certain interpretations) be construed as jeopardizing their entry into heaven.

Of course that is assuming any Muslims would be going to heaven in the first place. Given the exemplars we have of that religion in the world today I find such an assertion dubious, even before we get into theological arguments about "one true religion" etc. Can you "no true Scotsman" the majority out of an argument?
In truth the Jews I have known are/were pretty secular and pork and other religious rules didn't mean diddly. Had a Jewish girlfriend I shoulda kept around longer... Mohammedans are a diff story, never really gotten to know any as they were/are traditional enemies of my blood... The Indian sepoy rebellion of 1857 over alleged pig fat in their rifle ammo was a typical action by the middle-eastern types... thankful to have been born a USA-American where neither circumcision nor halal/haram figure into the mix...

That gets into the whole "Jew" as a religion, ethnicity or nationality thing. No other religion really has to contend with that confusion. An ethnic Jew is not necessarily a religious Jew, and vice versa. Meanwhile "Muslim" is a purely religious descriptor, while the ethnicity most closely associated with it is "Arab" other synonym.

I assume from the context here we are talking only about religious descriptors, and "practicing" or "devout" sub-classes to boot. That is the only way this conversation would make any sense. Strictly ethnic members, or even "nominally religious but still secular" devotees would likely not give a damn about any of this.

Can we get the conversation back to what to put into or not put into a handloaded shot shell.
Some of the above postings are skirting or breaking forum rules.
Andy
If you stretch the definition of "topical" you could say we are simply discussing the effectiveness of bacon products in shot shells with regards to their deterrent factor against various types of religious adherents.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top