JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just found a roll crimper I'm going to try and working on component ideas, materials and equipment. I'm gonna make a small slug order from Graft and Son this weekend to try …

Only a smooth bore to play with for now.

Main question…. Anyone in sound (north/south) area that is familiar with brick and mortars with a selection… shot shell components? I like to hold stuff…

2nd…. Suggest a reloading book for shotties?

3rd…. Slug molds…
In a cup (sabot) type thing, or full bore.. how do I figure that? Caliber/bore…

4th… what just doesn't work in shot shell….?
4b…. Do I need to read any legal stuff in the state for naughty bang bangs for recreational experimentation?

Just found a roll crimper I'm going to try and working on component ideas, materials and equipment. I'm gonna make a small slug order from Graft and Son this weekend to try …

Only a smooth bore to play with for now.

Main question…. Anyone in sound (north/south) area that is familiar with brick and mortars with a selection… shot shell components? I like to hold stuff…

2nd…. Suggest a reloading book for shotties?

3rd…. Slug molds…
In a cup (sabot) type thing, or full bore.. how do I figure that? Caliber/bore…

4th… what just doesn't work in shot shell….?
4b…. Do I need to read any legal stuff in the state for naughty bang bangs for recreational experimentation?
I'm absolutely unhelpful for all of those questions, but as a suggestion.... load a few with rock-salt for less lethal defensive rounds...

Bacon bits!

1700528524625.png

I remember watching a video with Jerry Miculek and he was asked what gun if he could only have one. He pondered on a shotgun and mentioned the items that he had or could shoot out of it...
I enjoy Jerry, he grew up poor and he has a do it yourself attitude.

I was always going to try loading up my old used rifle and pistol primers for use as shot. Figured I'd smash them flat and stuff as many as I could in a 410 shell. I have a boat load of spent primers I could play with.

Can't answer most of your questions. Can offer this...

Recently I purchased a 'survival' reloader kit for .410. Got the idea from another member on this forum and want to try it. Just received it and have not accomplished much with it. But ... I am on a .410 journey. Started loading for 12 ga 20+ years ago, got a MEC press, etc., never done .410 bore. Here's the site for the reloader kit should you be interested.

In addition to the kit, I poked around for a reasonable shotgun/smoothbore resource. Here's the outfit I found and I have stuff trickling in from them. I've ordered components, tools & a loadbook. (.410 components are elusive & expensive!)

The questions I have: Can one launch a AAA battery from a .410? If shooting at a 1/2" piece of plywood at social distances will it make a reasonably round hole OR key-hole real bad? Haven't made any measurements yet.

I like the idea of slugs as well. I have loaded them backwards in 12 ga. hulls and shot wet phone books. What a hoot...

Shotguns are awesome. Have fun, be safe.

load a few with rock-salt for less lethal defensive rounds...
I would be careful there. I think salt loads are the most misunderstood and it's not like it is in the movies or old timey dimestore books. Like many things, it depends on a lot of factors. Coarseness and type of salt as well as distance and powder load.

Some dense and coarse salts can still be lethal at closer ranges. Certainly enough to maim or take an eye out. Other salts simply can't handle the G's in a barrel and turn into a powder cloud. Also to be careful of is moisture content and storage. Salt loads can clump/fuse together and basically end up a slug that can put a pretty serious hurt on.

Very low mass and loses velocity incredibly fast so even a "good load" really won't do much of anything even if you're only shooting across a small room.

Also to be aware that prolonged storage they are going to pick up moisture weight/mass and likely won't perform as expected with the load you worked up when you built em. Remembering too that salt is quite corrosive.

I wouldn't count on them at all as being reliable as a defensive round. Work up a less lethal light birdshot load.. or some nice crushed glass instead. 😁

Experimenting is sure fun though! Pretty much anything you can fit in a hull is fair game.👍

The questions I have: Can one launch a AAA battery from a .410? If shooting at a 1/2" piece of plywood at social distances will it make a reasonably round hole OR key-hole real bad? Haven't made any measurements yet.
I would bet on a bit of both, but heavier odds on more keyholing than not.
I know of one sure way to answer your question definitively though. Load it and launch it!!🤣

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top