JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The cleaning rod in my range box is actually 4-piece plus the handle, and all stores in a metal tube. No brand name, and don't remember where I got it.

Range box inside tray.jpg Range box cleaning rod.jpg

Bore Snakes are a great idea, but to assume a pass-through (or two or three) of a Bore Snake is a "cleaning" of your bore is false economy.

Where is the dirt from your bore going?? Hint: it's in the Bore Snake you are about to pass through that bore again (or worse: ANOTHER bore).

Bore Snakes should be viewed as a "stop-gap" measure until the gun can see a cradle and proper brushes, jags and rods that transport the grime AWAY.

Again, Snakes are a great idea, but they don't really clean your bore as should be done. No substitute for the real job, and a waste of time if that cradle and rods are not far in the future.

The sectioned rods have an application in the field where transporting a one-piece rod is problematic: back-country hunt, etc. Nowhere else. While a Bore Snake might seem attractive for the same situation, a Snake cannot deal with any sort of substantial bore obstruction. A sectioned rod can save your important remote hunt.

Gave away all but one of my 3-piece rods that accumulated over the years; the one that remains is in my range box with some bore snakes in case I ever need to clear a squib or stuck case.

I've settled on the one-piece Dewey rods. Their rifle and shotgun rods are plastic coated steel with a rotating handles. Only exception [that I have] is a short non-rotating brass pistol rod. They're stored vertically between two bench sections so they don't get banged around.

View attachment 1824331
Wow nice set up. Love the slotted bench for different tools.

Disagree about bore snakes as a stop gap. Bore snakes are $2.50 on Amazon. Washable and can have grimy, dry, final oiling versions for each caliber if desired. $12.49 total price for 5

076C855C-1BEE-4CC4-83DA-ED3538843D6C.jpeg

Disagree about bore snakes as a stop gap. Bore snakes are $2.50 on Amazon. Washable and can have grimy, dry, final oiling versions for each caliber if desired. $12.49 total price for 5

View attachment 1825634
Although Bore Snakes are "washable", I surmise that in their scope of distribution and common use, washing rarely (if ever) happens. And unless washing is done after EACH pass-thru (think THAT ever happens?), the grime is going right back into the bore. We don't (or at least I hope we don't) run a blackened patch through our bore the second time, why does a clever nylon rope device receive less care in its application?

Stop-gap measure at best, certainly not useless, but they don't really clean your bore to the extent (and care for the bore) that cradle and rods are capable. You have not cleaned your bore. You have merely reduced the worst of what's in there (and don't go putting it back in!).

Although Bore Snakes are "washable", I surmise that in their scope of distribution and common use, washing rarely (if ever) happens. And unless washing is done after EACH pass-thru (think THAT ever happens?), the grime is going right back into the bore. We don't (or at least I hope we don't) run a blackened patch through our bore the second time, why does a clever nylon rope device receive less care in its application?

Stop-gap measure at best, certainly not useless, but they don't really clean your bore to the extent (and care for the bore) that cradle and rods are capable. You have not cleaned your bore. You have merely reduced the worst of what's in there (and don't go putting it back in!).
Which is why I went to military pull throughs...new mop each time. As easy as a snake without the draw backs. Now, is it the same as a good rod? No, but works fine for general after range time cleanup.

Which is why I went to military pull throughs...new mop each time. As easy as a snake without the draw backs. Now, is it the same as a good rod? No, but works fine for general after range time cleanup.
Agree those are great. I think I paid 7.99 or 8.99 for 1000. They work good with rods also.

F9A4418F-0DC3-4EB5-88DA-46A28C58F6CD.jpeg

Last Edited:
I went all in and bought a case if 10k ...RobertRTG...added to some other stuff I was getting, $19 and will last the rest if my life :s0112:
Is that the brown box of German wicks? I was thinking they were 1000 but maybe it's 10,000? That bag hasn't reduced in size at all seems like. Now that I think about it o think you are right. 1000 bundles of 10 wicks. And each wick has a bunch of small strands.

I have the same Outers 3 piece shotgun rod in my cleaning case that I bought in 1979. Added an adapter (still have one of the original bronze brushes with the proper thread though), and none of the nylon tips have broken yet...45 years is pretty good longevity. I do mainly now use a one-piece carbon fiber rod now, same for rifles. It is interesting to see everyone's thoughts on this.

I like the three piece rods....and I also have a M16 cleaning kit that followed me home from the Army.
Broken down they are easy to take with you when out shooting or hunting.

Bore snakes I also like and use....great for a quick clean up...or for when you can't clean the bore from the breech end.

It is important to use both with care and to clean 'em.
Dirt and grit can get stuck where the rods connect...
And the bore snake can be lookin' more like a bore skank after some use.....:eek: :D
As for washing the bore snake...I tie 'em in an old sock and toss them in the laundry when I wash the shop rags, etc...

Are either as good as a one piece cleaning rod....nope...but they all have their uses.
Andy

Last Edited:
I have probably a dozen bore snakes from .22 to 12 gauge, including some duplicates. I also have at least 4 break-down cleaning rods and 3 solid rods. None of my guns have any bore problems, even the ones with high round counts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top