JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had them for years. In earlier years, Outers used their own brush / tip size. 6-32, maybe? When the rest of them were 8-32. Over time, all of my Outers-size brushes have worn out. Everything I've purchased in recent years has been 8-32. I have some military brushes, which I think are 8-40? For those, somewhere along the line, I got an adapter. I think I only have a few of those left.

Re. the Outers rods themselves, I've got two of the kinda crappy aluminum, three section rods. Both for .22's. That have fallen into disuse for reasons stated. Yet, every once in a while, I will grab one and start digging through the brushes to find one that will fit. Be there none. So last night, the Outers rods got placed in the recycling.

I still have two Outers shotgun three section rods. Those have a now non-standard thread as well. I bought an adapter for those years ago, so they can stay. I don't think I have many Outers size shotgun stuff, though. Nearly everything goes on the adapter.

The crummy, three section centerfire rods I had have been gone for a long time. One was brass, another was aluminum. I tried a Dewey but the plastic coating on it got shucked off. I replaced it with two from Pro Shot, a long one and a shorter one. I also still have an old Model 1916 US Army, single piece length brass barracks rod. The one with the little football handle on it. I use this one on 30 caliber and larger.

I have half a dozen of those kits and rarely use them....My G3 and G36 pull through kits get used 99% of the time...bought a case of German bore mops to go with, set for life. ( there is 10K jn a case!!!)

At least the three pieces are aluminum, and they don't damage the bore.
Fiberglass or carbon one-piece rods are fine, but they are difficult to pack into my range bags.
When I go to the range, I also take bore snakes for the calibers I'm shooting. I find them fast & convenient, & easy to store.

Man if you got guns and intend to shoot them forever, spending a little bit of money for a high quality carbon fibre, ball bearing rod is worth it. They'll last just about forever.

I've got a couple Tipton's and I picked up the 8" pistol version of Hoppes rod which was well worth the $30.

RC30R_CAT1.jpg

I've had them for years. In earlier years, Outers used their own brush / tip size. 6-32, maybe? When the rest of them were 8-32. Over time, all of my Outers-size brushes have worn out. Everything I've purchased in recent years has been 8-32. I have some military brushes, which I think are 8-40? For those, somewhere along the line, I got an adapter. I think I only have a few of those left.

Re. the Outers rods themselves, I've got two of the kinda crappy aluminum, three section rods. Both for .22's. That have fallen into disuse for reasons stated. Yet, every once in a while, I will grab one and start digging through the brushes to find one that will fit. Be there none. So last night, the Outers rods got placed in the recycling.

I still have two Outers shotgun three section rods. Those have a now non-standard thread as well. I bought an adapter for those years ago, so they can stay. I don't think I have many Outers size shotgun stuff, though. Nearly everything goes on the adapter.

The crummy, three section centerfire rods I had have been gone for a long time. One was brass, another was aluminum. I tried a Dewey but the plastic coating on it got shucked off. I replaced it with two from Pro Shot, a long one and a shorter one. I also still have an old Model 1916 US Army, single piece length brass barracks rod. The one with the little football handle on it. I use this one on 30 caliber and larger.
I flippin' hate those things. Look at them funny and they will break at the joints. I got single carbon fiber one-piece cleaning rod for everything. But that said I mostly use bore snakes cuz they are faster and do an awesome job.

Yes, I have one bore snake. For 30 caliber. I used to carry it around to gun shows to make sure I didn't get screwed on a bad barrel in an M1 Rifle.

I never clean guns in the field or at the range. I always bring them home and do it there afterward.

At least the three pieces are aluminum, and they don't damage the bore.
I don't know yea or nay about this at a personal level. I keep using a home-made pistol rod that I got from my cousin many years ago. It's one section of an aluminum rod (NOT with Outers threads), stuck into a cheap wooden screwdriver handle. BUT: I've read in posts similar to this one over the years where some people have claimed that soft aluminum can get impressed into the surface of steel barrel bores. Yeah, okay, but what about soft copper or lead? It's just something I've seen mentioned a couple of times.

I keep one section with a little rawhide hammer in my range officer kit for clearing squibs.
I'm glad you mentioned that: I think I will keep the discarded aluminum rods for just that. Rod stock. Heaven knows I've kept everything else that should be thrown away. If they go away with the recycling, I know within a month I'll be looking for a soft, metal rod and kicking myself for letting go of those mentioned.

I'm glad you mentioned that: I think I will keep the discarded aluminum rods for just that. Rod stock. Heaven knows I've kept everything else that should be thrown away. If they go away with the recycling, I know within a month I'll be looking for a soft, metal rod and kicking myself for letting go of those mentioned.
This is my problem - a week after I throw something out or give it away, I finally need it after 10 years of it sitting around.

I keep stuff like that. It drives my wife mad. She discards everything.

About once a month she needs something fixed or replaced. When I drag out something from my stash that resolves the issue, she just grits her teeth and thanks me. I feel like it is a small vindication, and she hates it!

but they are difficult to pack into my range bags.
My range cleaning kit is in a cheap hard-sided rifle case. I toss it in with the rest of my rifles when going to the range. My one piece rods fit nicely into the hard sided rifle case along with the rest of my cleaning supplies.

Most of my cleaning is done with bore snakes but the one piece rods have come in very handy enough times that it is worth it to stay with my rifle case kit and bring them along.

Last Edited:
I've been using Outers three piece rods forever! I'll not get rid of any of them. One was Dad's and I have one rather old set in a small tube with an inline handle. Quite the "collectors item".
They won't break if you keep them screwed together, which means about every other pass thru the bore. ;)
I guess I'd never noticed the threads were/are different, as the brushes and jags I've bought fit.
But several years ago I bought a good, one piece rod and pretty much only use that now.

Rods that are screwed together are subject to rotational force when the rifling causes the patch or brush to spiral. Depending on the direction of travel and the end from which the rod is inserted, that force can tend to unscrew or to tighten the threaded joints of the rod. As orygun points out, it is important to keep track of the tightness of the joints, and keep them screwed tightly together. If not kept tight, the necked-down part of the rod that has the male threads is subject to flexing and eventually the stresses cause the weak point to break.

Rods that are screwed together are subject to rotational force when the rifling causes the patch or brush to spiral. Depending on the direction of travel and the end from which the rod is inserted, that force can tend to unscrew or to tighten the threaded joints of the rod. As orygun points out, it is important to keep track of the tightness of the joints, and keep them screwed tightly together. If not kept tight, the necked-down part of the rod that has the male threads is subject to flexing and eventually the stresses cause the weak point to break.
Or just not use them at all then you don't have to worry about it. Who wants to stop all the time and tighten them.

3 bore snakes (.223, 9mm, 12 gauge) at Amazon for $7

Use code

50LH3KJH

At checkout. Code also works for any Gogoku product for 50% off. They have 1 caliber bore snake + 3 brushes + 4 picks for $4.49 after code

F2E0DFC1-0D3E-4CE1-8335-5FEE47FDB3A9.jpeg

I have many 3 piece rods and use them often. They are never disassembled, remain at reach on my bench, and half of them have slotted tips attached, ready to go. In the old days I have had rods that the brushes did not fit the threads. Don't remember the brands. Now they all fit, regardless of brand. I do have to tighten the sections together occasionally while using them. 5-seconds stolen from my day.

I also use bore snake-type products. On the bench, in a cradle, I prefer rods.

Gave away all but one of my 3-piece rods that accumulated over the years; the one that remains is in my range box with some bore snakes in case I ever need to clear a squib or stuck case.

I've settled on the one-piece Dewey rods. Their rifle and shotgun rods are plastic coated steel with a rotating handles. Only exception [that I have] is a short non-rotating brass pistol rod. They're stored vertically between two bench sections so they don't get banged around.

cleaning rods.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top