JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's a big difference between firing without earpro in a non-stress situation and firing in a stressful situation. Don't encourage unnecessary hearing damage to acclimate somebody to something they won't even notice in a time of high adrenaline.

I've had to fire indoors before and didn't notice anything but muzzle flash (I recommend a good flash hider) and ringing ears later (which I already have in the form of wonderful tinnitus).
Cool story, bro

There's a big difference between firing without earpro in a non-stress situation and firing in a stressful situation. Don't encourage unnecessary hearing damage to acclimate somebody to something they won't even notice in a time of high adrenaline.

I've had to fire indoors before and didn't notice anything but muzzle flash (I recommend a good flash hider) and ringing ears later (which I already have in the form of wonderful tinnitus).

Agreed

The birdshot myth is a dangerous misconception. Birdshot does not reliably penetrate sufficiently, even at close range. It generally creates a gruesome but very shallow wound. The pellets are too small to carry enough momentum. Low recoil buckshot is even lighter recoil than birdshot and is much, much more effective against intruders. Many people will go with a minimum #4 buckshot as a compromise, but the only round that really combines reduced drywall penetration and effective bad guy penetration is hollow or soft point
I'd do a biometric safe, but I'd sift through the reviews. There are so many these days.. and some are total junk. I'm not sure I'd suggest a key lock safe as the key can be lost and under stress opening a safe with a key may be a massive struggle.

My firearm suggestions would be: 1911's and 92FS pistols. They are both are highly accurate, even if they seem a little large for her hands. Every person I've taken out shooting, shoots very well with those two pistols. Very well.

And the 1911's now are so affordable, it would also be easy to get one in 9 or 45.

Of course I'm only going off those suggestions due to the high level of accuracy and ease of use they both offer. As I mentioned before, everyone no matter how new shoots very well, and if it's home defense, the last thing I'd do if provide a super tiny sub compact that she'd have to fiddle with if anything jammed up. Bigger is better for motor skills under stress (IMO) when it comes to pistols. I'd certainly get a full sized as long as the slide spring resistance on the 1911 isn't too much for her. Which it shouldn't be.

I know it sounds over the top, but if you have kids in the home, I'd honestly suggest doing a home invasion walk through with her so she has an idea of what to do and a plan.. everyone thinks they can just wing it but it's much better to at least have a plan of action such as gathering the kids and getting to a room where she can mount a defense. When your spouse understands the risk of round over penetration, they can start to appreciate shot placement risk and the need to be aware of the children's locations god forbid anything like a home invasion occurs.

Most may say shotguns or rifles and I get that for penetration risk.. but if she is opposed to those, a 1911 could be the way to go. Big controls, highly accurate and sure it's heavy but she isn't carrying it and it's got enough rounds to stop a threat in the home. Especially if you keep a spare mag with it.

Just my .02 I'm sure many may say Glock 19 or something super small perhaps even a revolver.. but most I've taken out that shoot a snub nose cannot hit anything unless they are belly to belly with a target.. the goal would be to prevent any would be attacker from getting that close.

Im liking the 1911 logic. Any input on current cheap but high quality models? Im not a 1911 guy, but I know they have their place. Pro if it has a rail. I almost would rather go with a full size steel frame revolver simply due to the lack of buttons, but reloads would be a major issue. I do have a CZ97 in 45acp, and a Star BM in 9mm, so that could be a good starting place for practice and gun "feel".

Im just happy my liberal, gluten and dairy free, kale eating, yoga going, birkenstock wearing, Seattle born, beauftiful wife is finally identifying the need to arm herself! Puts a smile on my face. Haha
Wife was not really anti when I met her but she was very "I don't need one". Soon after we got to dating heavy I took her down to get her CPL here and bought her, her first handgun. Long after she would seldom carry. What turned her was local scum shot up a store at a mall here. There was video of one elderly victim with daughter desperately trying to get her elderly mom out of harms way and it was too slow and mom got shot. My Wife watched this and pictured her being in this situation with her elderly Mom and started to carry again.

My opine on best gun for the home where others, not interested in firearms, may have an emergency need for it, would be a revolver. Everybody and anybody with reasonable finger strength can pick up and fire a revolver. No knowledge of safeties, magazines, racking or else is needed, just pick it up, point, and pull the trigger. My wife has shot a few of my guns, has her own, primarily to please me, but after 40 years still forgets the safety or what to do (magazine and racking wise) the few time she goes shooting with me over the years.
Another benefit of a revolver, if you pick a heavy trigger one that has no exposed hammer, If small children be around, most young-uns absolutely cannot pull a 12 pound trigger even with two fingers should they accidently find access to it.
Even without the adrenalin flowing, I have seen supposedly macho kings forget the safety on the first pull at the range.,

No opinion on the safe other than not being a big fan of biometric. I spent my career in the high tech world, mostly dealing with customer issues. Biometric, especially finger prints on cheap readers, were always huge csat drivers.

My wife and I just took over teaching a women's specific series of classes. One of the things that drives us absolutely crazy are the ladies who show up with tiny handguns - almost always revolvers. They're normally talked into buying something small by sales people or their husbands because they're light and easy to handle…right up until they have to pull the trigger. We normally try to talk them into using one of our loaner full-sized Glocks or M&Ps, then have them try their micro pistols at the end of the day.

For purely home defense scenarios, I'd lean toward a 9mm PCC. Even unsupressed, they're generally a bit easier on the ears than a pistol. I've fired or been around way too many .223 rounds indoors and the permanent tinnitus sucks, even after using doubled up ear protection 99% of the time. The muzzle flash and concussion of a .223 AR pistol would be close to incapacitating with no ear protection.

For concealed carry, unless your wife is stronger than average, something in the G19 range is as small as I'd suggest. My wife carries a Hellcat daily, but she's very physically fit and has more experience than most.

A couple of considerations: if going with a pistol perhaps something with an easy rack system like Ruger Security 380 or SW Shield EZ. Practicing with a firearm that's easier to handle and manipulate will make it easier to convince her to train more often. Also, I second the revolver suggestion. For home use, it doesn't have to be small or light. A K-frame perhaps using 38 spl or 38 +p.

Hello folks, I could use some help with your opinions on a few things:

1) What safes/lock boxes are good for bedroom/hallway quick access, and ideally able to carry small carbine (but not required). I already have a decent sized big safe bolted to the concrete, so not looking for that. I am looking for at least 1 or 2 to install in bedrooms/hallways, ideally hidden. Logistically I have 3 kids under 6, and my wife. Neighbor kids are often here too. Bedrooms are on a second story of a house with a good line of sight outside (max 100 yards). The intent on the safes is for a good spot to dump my CC when entering/leaving the house, and for at least 1 or 2 locations for my wife to know where dedicated home defense guns are. She is a stay at home mom. I had a wall safe at my last house, but did not like that the keypad made audable beeps everytime you pressed a button. I would like the price to be reasonable, the ability to mount to the wall/studs, and I am not afraid of demo work if needed.

-2) I may have the greenlight to get a new gun or two to for the wife. She could care less about guns, but after a recent incident where I had to grab my rifle to keep us safe, she is seeing the value in quick access guns, and has come to me asking for safes/range practice/gun handeling.
Do you have any opinions on good home defense guns that could also fit in a wallsafe? She is about 5'-10" 185lbs, and more than capable of physically being able to fire any gun I own or could own. She is fairly sensory "avoidant" however, and I bet something like a pistol length AR would be far too loud of a report at close range in a hallway. I do reload and cast my own bullets, so every possible caliber is up for consideration. The simpler/less buttons the better, softer/lower recoil the better, and the softer/less sharp of a report the better. Bonus points if it can tag targets out to 100 yards, is semi auto, and can have a light or red dot. Kids bedrooms are close to ours, but we have about 80 feet between us and neighbors houses.
Some solid suggestions so far r.e. secure storage. Unfortunately the AWB here in WA means your options for a decent newbie-friendly, low-recoil HD gun are severely limited, and suppressed options are basically non-existent.

I would take your wife to a range and rent a bunch of guns to see what she is most comfortable with. If she is super recoil sensitive you might consider pistols in 5.7x28. If thinking about shotguns, normally I wouldn't recommend a .410 for home defense but since most PCCs are now illegal here and recoil may be an issue, you might check out the KSG 410. That would give her up to 15rds on tap in a compact pump action with low recoil - just make sure she's using good defensive ammo, and trains with it so she can use it under stress.

Some solid suggestions so far r.e. secure storage. Unfortunately the AWB here in WA means your options for a decent newbie-friendly, low-recoil HD gun are severely limited, and suppressed options are basically non-existent.

I would take your wife to a range and rent a bunch of guns to see what she is most comfortable with. If she is super recoil sensitive you might consider pistols in 5.7x28. If thinking about shotguns, normally I wouldn't recommend a .410 for home defense but since most PCCs are now illegal here and recoil may be an issue, you might check out the KSG 410. That would give her up to 15rds on tap in a compact pump action with low recoil - just make sure she's using good defensive ammo, and trains with it so she can use it under stress.
I missed that the poster was in Wa. What about the Ruger PC? I haven't followed all the laws, but there are state-compliant skus that seem to meet the Wa restrictions. If that isn't an option, I'd lean toward a .357 lever action. Easy to use and less intimidating to some than a semi-auto.

I missed that the poster was in Wa. What about the Ruger PC? I haven't followed all the laws, but there are state-compliant skus that seem to meet the Wa restrictions. If that isn't an option, I'd lean toward a .357 lever action. Easy to use and less intimidating to some than a semi-auto.
Just took a quick look at my favorite place and looks like the Ruger is still (for now) OK here as long as you don't get the threaded barrel. They had a couple choices they would ship here. They are a NICE home defense gun.

1) For quick access boxes I greatly prefer the ones with a mechanical simplex lock over anything that is electronic, has batteries, and/or biometric. Batteries and electronics fail...often at the worst possible moment. And I just don't think the reliability is there yet with biometrics at the price point usually associated with lock boxes. V Line makes several boxes with simplex locks and you should be able to find some others with a bit of GoogleFu.

2) Choosing a gun for someone else should never be attempted. They must do this for themselves to make sure the gun fits their hand and that they can properly reach and manipulate the controls. The wife is going to have to take an active roll in this. To that end, go find a range with a good rental counter and let her try several options. You will sort our more in an hour or two than anything any of us can suggest here. Also a pistol caliber carbine MIGHT be a good choice for her. She'll likely be far more accurate with it than a pistol and it certainly shouldn't be any louder than a pistol. Staging a good set of electronic muffs next to the bed is also a decent way to mitigate some of the noise. They just take a second to throw on and if there isn't time they can always be skipped.

For home defense I always say a pump 12 or 20ga with #7 shot, shouldn't go through walls and you don't have to be accurate. Plus there isn't anything more butt clenching then to be in the dark and hear a shotgun rack.
My 2 cents, any firearm in a hallway is going to scramble your thoughts for a bit. If you can't go suppressed, then at least go subsonic. The 45 is already that, personally I use 9mm with 147gn bullets. I would look at a PCC, either AR9 with glock mags (so you can share) or, my favorite, the MP5.
Is there a serious threat of home intruding attack doves in your area?

I would rather have a minimum BB, or better yet #4 Buck, or 00 Buck, over bird shot any day.

That's just my 2 cents though. To be honest I wouldn't want to get shot with any of it. But I would take penetration over shot spread.

We went through several tries before my wife settled on a carry rotation that she was comfortable with. Today at the mall she carried her S&W M&P 380EZ with a CT laser in a Sticky Holster in the zipper pocket of her concealed carry purse. Not ideal, but better than nothing. No safeties or buttons to mess with. Squeeze hard, the laser is activated and the grip safety is depressed. All she has to remember is grip firmly and aim.

For on body, she has the absolute smallest pistol that could be considered viable for self defense, the Kel-Tec P32 with an extended magazine and a CT laser in a kydex holster. Because full size pistols are friggin heavy and pull at her clothes.

Her home defense go to is an Extar EP9 Polymer AR pistol with a Sig Romeo 5XDR, an Olight angled forearm light and a 33 round Glock mag of 9mm HST.

Is there a serious threat of home intruding attack doves in your area?

I would rather have a minimum BB, or better yet #4 Buck, or 00 Buck, over bird shot any day.

That's just my 2 cents though. To be honest I wouldn't want to get shot with any of it. But I would take penetration over shot spread.
"I wouldn't want to be shot with it" is not synonymous with "effective at stopping a determined attacker". Also "is not effective at stopping a determined attacker" does not mean "will never work to stop an attack". There are shades of grey here, and we need to be mindful not only of use case, but also user.

We also need to be honest with ourselves about reality. Birdshot of any kind is not an effective stopper. It basically says "I want to defend myself, but I really, really do not want to be responsible for the death of another person, even if they intend violence towards me." It is about as close as you can get to a "less lethal" round without actually being able to put that on the box as marketing copy. If that sentiment is not something you intend from your defensive arms you need to seriously reconsider your choice of ammo, because birdshot is only reliably stopping at contact distances where all the pellets are stacked up on top of each other and acting as a near-solid shot.

Now if that is your intent then birdshot away. But do not joke with yourself that birdshot will put down an attacker without lethal damage. Anyone shot with birdshot could press on the attack if they wanted too. All the birdshot does is let them know that attack will not be as easy and pain free as they would have hoped. You are deciding to take on additional risk (less ability to stop a determined attacker) for less risk to your attacker (hard to kill someone with birdshot). This is not an incorrect choice so long as it was the choice you intended to make. Just don't pretend reality is different than it is.

Birdshot is a no go for self/home defense.
I basically agree, with the sole exception of someone who can't get past the mental block of using something more effective. They should use whatever they can get their mind to accept.

Anyone who has gotten past that block really should not be trying to convince themselves that birdshot is acceptable. If you are comfortable with effective lethal force you should be using effective lethal force. That definitely means not birdshot.

I basically agree, with the sole exception of someone who can't get past the mental block of using something more effective. They should use whatever they can get their mind to accept.

Anyone who has gotten past that block really should not be trying to convince themselves that birdshot is acceptable. If you are comfortable with effective lethal force you should be using effective lethal force. That definitely means not birdshot.
Plan on getting sued.

If you have a gun for self/home defense but don't want to completely neutralize AKA kill the threat than I think your an idiot and probably shouldn't carry the gun.

I saw a young male eat the end of his shotgun. Let's just say he lived for an hour after turning the inside of his mouth to mush with birdshot.

I've seen the same with a .45 …… the body can do amazing things.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top