JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Meh, ARs really are more reliable than people give them credit for. But if you don't want either I'm not gonna stop you (or make you get one in this case).
Ya I just figure the money saved could be used on other stuff. I think the AR are most likely reliable. But I have reliable and think after reading everything the investment right now isn't justified.

:D:D
Decide which is important to you, accuracy or handiness.

My AR has an 18" barrel in .223 Wylde. The barrel is stainless steel, heavy barrel (both increase accuracy) with spiral flute (decreases harmonic vibration). It has a rifle length gas system (less pulse increases accuracy). On the bench with a smooth forward rest, less friction so the barrel can work, and no left hand holding the rifle so it can slide back without interference, it shoots .223 handloads I worked up with 5shot groups that are dime sized. Factory el cheapo ammo shoots 2-3" groups in the same rifle.

My next AR is going to be a faux SBR. 10.5 inch barrel, pistol stock, and an Eotech clone optic, mounted light/laser. It will have a carbine length gas system vs the 7.5" version as I have read that the pistol length gas system is very sharp/hard pulse, hard to tune for ammo, and fussy. The reason I am building this version is for house clearing if I need to leave the bedroom, and also for fun shooting at 3-gun matches.

:s0003:

My faux SBR truck gun was built for less than 500 with a Blemished PSA complete lowere and a Radical firearms 10.5 complete upper. Includes a Bushnell TRS 25 RDS and cheap Chinese MBUS which I will replace with better quality one of these days. Expectedly a scratchy trigger but I have about 90 rounds trough it flawlessly. I highly recommend the carbine gas length. It is a hoot to shoot.:D

Brutus out

Last Edited:
Ya I just figure the money saved could be used on other stuff. I think the AR are most likely reliable. But I have reliable and think after reading everything the investment right now isn't justified.

I gotcha. To each their own.

I have about 90 rounds rough it

I can top 90. I had an entire case (440 rounds) through my PSA the other day. 240 just regular shooting, 200 after rubbing a lot of dirt (so I could really pack it on there) on the BCG. Flawless throughout.

I gotcha. To each their own.

I can top 90. I had an entire case (440 rounds) through my PSA the other day. 240 just regular shooting, 200 after rubbing a lot of dirt (so I could really pack it on there) on the BCG. Flawless throughout.
Love affairs with firearms no matter what firearm it is:p;) are always good

My faux SBR truck gun was built for less than 500 with a Blemished PSA complete lowere and a Radical firearms 10.5 complete upper. Expectedly a scratchy trigger. I highly recommend the carbine gas length. It is a hoot to shoot.

Thanx!

Before I built the lower for my AR varminter, I had checked with experienced people that I trust, them having built up ARs for years, and the word I got is that just about all stripped lowers are built good to better quality nowadays, notwithstanding bells and whistles and special circumstances. My new shorty is being built around a Polymer 80 lower, for weight reduction and due to that I wanted a challenge, and only paid $49 for it brand new. If it fails at some point, no biggie. Anyone wants to try one... let me know, I learned a lot of "don't do this" stuff!

I am looking forward to hooting!!

Yup, good call on the carbine length has system. I also researched the gas length for AR pistols some time ago and decided to use the carbine length, hence the 10.5" upper from Hardened Arms (on order now) instead of the 7.5". Anyway the extra length will help control the weapon during carbine competition. But I can't decide whether to go with a KAK Shockwave or a Thordsen cover. Any thoughts?

BTW, I installed an ALG trigger that I pulled out of my varminter after deciding I wanted a better trigger for long distance shooting. The ALG has about a 5-6lb pull with just a bit of creep and is pretty smooth, with a glass rod break, for under $65. I can recommend it to you.

This actually brings up something I have been thinking about! I never liked the M-1 Carbine because of its chambering, but with a mini 14 I could have sort of a M-1 carbine in a useful round! Thanks a lot!!!!
One thing to keep in mind is that in the era the Mini appeared there were many attempts to turn the M-1 Carbine into a 22 cal 'varmint gun' there were 2 or 3 22 cal. wildcats based on the 30 carbine round as well as a 25 cal. carbine Mkt'd by Universal that almost caught on, I think there was a limited run of 25 cal. brass made by Norma???? for the Universal, when the Mini showed-up in 223/556 all of that disappeared as the availability of surplus and re-man ammo simply wiped out the need for a complicated supply chain to feed wildcat Carbines

Thanx!

Before I built the lower for my AR varminter, I had checked with experienced people that I trust, them having built up ARs for years, and the word I got is that just about all stripped lowers are built good to better quality nowadays, notwithstanding bells and whistles and special circumstances. My new shorty is being built around a Polymer 80 lower, for weight reduction and due to that I wanted a challenge, and only paid $49 for it brand new. If it fails at some point, no biggie. Anyone wants to try one... let me know, I learned a lot of "don't do this" stuff!

I am looking forward to hooting!!

Yup, good call on the carbine length has system. I also researched the gas length for AR pistols some time ago and decided to use the carbine length, hence the 10.5" upper from Hardened Arms (on order now) instead of the 7.5". Anyway the extra length will help control the weapon during carbine competition. But I can't decide whether to go with a KAK Shockwave or a Thordsen cover. Any thoughts?

BTW, I installed an ALG trigger that I pulled out of my varminter after deciding I wanted a better trigger for long distance shooting. The ALG has about a 5-6lb pull with just a bit of creep and is pretty smooth, with a glass rod break, for under $65. I can recommend it to you.

Yes, My first ALG-ACT I installed on my SHTF carbine build sold me on getting one for the pistol soon which I may install after getting it cerakoted. I've read the reviews and for me the Shockwave is the way to go. Looking at it I like the cost, lightness and possibilities it offers under certain possible, future contingencies are attractive to me as HD/truck gun.
I mean I literally paid $109.00 for a complete PSA pistol lower and the only blem other than the scratchy trigger I could find was a shadow in the paint. Got the complete upper for $199 through RF of Houston.

I am no competitor but IMHO I think a 7.5 inch in an AR pistol is a waste of powder.

Brutus Out

I mean I literally paid $109.00 for a complete PSA pistol lower. Got the complete upper for $199 through RF of Houston. I am no competitor but IMHO I think a 7.5 inch in an AR pistol is a waste of powder.

I think I am with you on the 7.5" pistol, tho I've never seen nor shot one. Seems like you'd need at least a Sig Brace to hit the broad side.

Yah, I didn't get it at first... I thought it was a stripped lower. So you got a complete AR for around $300. That is way cool!!!

Who is RF of Houston? Are they an internet distributor/manufacturer?

Meh, ARs really are more reliable than people give them credit for. But if you don't want either I'm not gonna stop you (or make you get one in this case).

The AR always comes in dead last in Army reliability test comparisons both in total stoppages and MTBF whether compared to an FAL or the latest and greatest concoction from H&K.

The signal part of the Stoner design is that bolt carrier/bolt gas impingement system. I suppose you could design all sorts of different rifles that used an AR lower. I'm not going to argue any more about the deficiencies of the M-16 and the government tests and failures in the field that have been confirming it since the 1960's.

Different rifles using an AR lower? Still an AR at that point. It doesn't stop being an AR until the design is completely changed. Only changes are a short-stroke piston as opposed to a gas tube, and replacing the gas key on the BCG with something for the piston to strike.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top