JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Re doorbell, the original was a doorbell and then they make one with spotlights, stick up cams etc. they work off battery, or battery plus solar, or wired.

The lady likely had a stickup or spotlight cam mounted way too low. They should be mounted out of reach.

Re WiFi, if you hook up a router to your dish internet, you have WiFi around your house.

Here are the different types of ring cams:

Doorbell
B8D44560-7DCD-4021-AB2A-9A083EDFE265.jpeg

Stick up cam (2nd best)
DE2AD232-1CBD-4675-A0FD-43CE643242AC.jpeg

Spotlight cam (best range and features and custimization)
9406909D-B1EE-48D3-9555-C55A34BE00F7.jpeg

Last Edited:
Re doorbell, the original was a doorbell and then they make one with spotlights, stick up cams etc. they work off battery, or battery plus solar, or wired.

The lady likely had a stickup or spotlight cam mounted way too low. They should be mounted out of reach.

Re WiFi, if you hook up a router to your dish internet, you have WiFi around your house.

Here are the different types of ring cams:

Doorbell
View attachment 1247219

Stick up cam (2nd best)
View attachment 1247220

Spotlight cam (best range and features and custimization)
View attachment 1247221
we have one of them router things - can use laptops about 50 yrds out
I use my old work cell phone for watching utube music videos - sit down in the trees with my wine and listen to Sax Jazz
but no cell phone reception - I don't think the North Fork of the Lewis has cell phone reception past the Golf Course
but on the up side, we don't have drive by shooting either

wine table.jpg

we have one of them router things - can use laptops about 50 yrds out
I use my old work cell phone for watching utube music videos - sit down in the trees with my wine and listen to Sax Jazz
but no cell phone reception - I don't think the North Fork of the Lewis has cell phone reception past the Golf Course
but on the up side, we don't have drive by shooting either

View attachment 1247222
Yep in portland homeless and criminals are like a swarm of rats constantly invading everywhere trying for their next theft.

For example this 12 hours ago:

2F7675DB-E9F4-4DFB-BBE4-6D20680D2D52.jpeg

Yep in portland homeless and criminals are like a swarm of rats constantly invading everywhere trying for their next theft.

For example this 12 hours ago:

View attachment 1247227
my daughter had their Honda CRV stolen twice in Portland with a club installed
so we gave her back her 2006 Hyundai from College
no more problems - not even the homeless want that old Hyundai

Ring Video Doorbell – 2020 release – 1080p HD video, improved motion detection, easy installation – Satin Nickel https://a.co/d/i8j9HFr

So that looks pretty neat. I'd been wondering about getting something like that. Especially now that Wifey has a real smart phone. But what hits me upside the head, and kicks me in the nuts? I'll just have pics of the garbage that robbed me. What good are such things when no one is going to find the human trash and punish them?

So that looks pretty neat. I'd been wondering about getting something like that. Especially now that Wifey has a real smart phone. But what hits me upside the head, and kicks me in the nuts? I'll just have pics of the garbage that robbed me. What good are such things when no one is going to find the human trash and punish them?
Yeah, you're pretty much out of luck on Portland going after the crook in any fashion. The catch and release program is pretty well enforced.

Just another layer of a system.

Yeah, you're pretty much out of luck on Portland going after the crook in any fashion. The catch and release program is pretty well enforced.
"CATCH" & release? No, I don't think they'd even catch them. Except in some totally bizarre circumstance, where the perp with your belongings, and the gun he used, and you right behind him, ran into a police car driving by your house and got knocked out, and you were able to explain the whole thing to the officer. Then they'd take him in, and release him.

My recommendation (fwiw) in using ring (or other brand) cameras in Portland is do not do what this woman or most people do. Do not use it as a means to just record the bad guy and report it to whoever. Imo that helps very little.

Do use it to:

1) alert your phone that someone is on the property so that you can take appropriate action. This is especially helpful for engaging bad guys before they ever get close to your house. One time we had a guy looking in basement windows with a flashlight and I followed his movements on our ring cams until he was cornered. I confronted him from an upstairs window. He would have no chance in Hades to get me in that position but he was trapped and I had #OO buck in hand which I did not show him. I would never had known he was on the property without the cams much less be able to follow his movements and create a "perfect" ambush.

2) Do use it to interact with someone you don't know on ur porch who may have a legit purpose (or may not) via intercom from your phone. You can see them live on ur phone and interact or activate the loud alarm.

3) Do use it to record what going on around your home and document anybody, which is helpful for comparisons when people say, "watch out for this guy he is going around the neighborhood and..." or similar.

4)? I suppose it has some role in documenting an altercation after the fact for police or court also,but fortunately I've not had to use it in that role (knock on wood). It sure helped that guy who had atf visit him though.

For me there is no way I would live in Portland without these cams. Spotlight battery cam is the best imo. When they are on sale they are $50 off normal price and refurb will take an extra $20 off of that sale price. I also moved one of ours to our rental property I sold that was a 3 + hour drive away. I could see what was going on there anytime on my phone and got alerts anytime someone was on the property. My 2 cents... after buying a gun these are the best home defense tools you can have I think.

Last Edited:
My recommendation (fwiw) in using ring (or other brand) cameras in Portland is do not do what this woman or most people do. Do not use it as a means to just record the bad guy and report it to whoever. Imo that helps very little.

Do use it to:

1) alert your phone that someone is on the property so that you can take appropriate action. This is especially helpful for engaging bad guys before they ever get close to your house. One time we had a guy looking in basement windows with a flashlight and I followed his movements on our ring cams until he was cornered. I confronted him from an upstairs window. He would have no chance in Hades to get me in that position but he was trapped and I had #OO buck in hand which I did not show him. I would never had known he was on the property without the cams much less be able to follow his movements and create a "perfect" ambush.

2) Do use it to interact with someone you don't know on ur porch who may have a legit purpose (or may not) via intercom from your phone. You can see them live on ur phone and interact or activate the loud alarm.

3) Do use it to record what going on around your home and document anybody, which is helpful for comparisons when people say, "watch out for this guy he is going around the neighborhood and..." or similar.

4)? I suppose it has some role in documenting an altercation after the fact for police or court also,but fortunately I've not had to use it in that role (knock on wood). It sure helped that guy who had atf visit him though.

For me there is no way I would live in Portland without these cams. Spotlight battery cam is the best imo. When they are on sale they are $50 off normal price and refurb will take an extra $20 off of that sale price. I also moved one of ours to our rental property I sold that was a 3 + hour drive away. I could see what was going on there anytime on my phone and got alerts anytime someone was on the property. My 2 cents... after buying a gun these are the best home defense tools you can have I think.
Great. Appreciate it. All good info.

What good are such things when no one is going to find the human trash and punish them?
Things that come to mind:

> When the guy kicks in your door in the middle of the night and murders your family, they'll have a pic of his/her face (which doesn't help you at all).
> They'll have video evidence to prosecute you for shooting a guy that only had a bloody axe in his hand and would have never hurt you because he was just turning his life around.
> You can tell the Girl Scout Cookie girl to beat it, without actually having to open the door and be tempted to buy "just one box"....

Things that come to mind:

> When the guy kicks in your door in the middle of the night and murders your family, they'll have a pic of his/her face (which doesn't help you at all).
> They'll have video evidence to prosecute you for shooting a guy that only had a bloody axe in his hand and would have never hurt you because he was just turning his life around.
> You can tell the Girl Scout Cookie girl to beat it, without actually having to open the door and be tempted to buy "just one box"....
I gotta say, the third scenario is the only one that sounds probable.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top