JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi friends,

Looking at upgrading arms at home. I have an AA Grendel 6.5, and my wife has a 357. I was thinking about adding a 223 AR-15, and a 9mm Glock or similar.

I went to a local gun show, and was quickly stunned with the news of semiautomatic center fire rifle sales being ban in WA. Covid. Working too much. Whatever, I had no clue.

So…… with those limitations, for a second rifle I'm thinking short barelled lever actions, 357 or 30-30, or a mini Howa, chambered in 223, 6.5 Grendel, or maybe even a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I can't be the only one here. What have you acquired lately? Suggestions? Moving to Idaho ain't happening, tempting as that might be…..

I was kicking around the idea of getting a (Ruger) Marlin 1894 classic in 44 mag, having the barrel shortened and converted to takedown. More for long distance car travel than anything but might be a good (albeit, expensive) option for HD. Especially since the state has decided all of the crime here has been caused by lawful citizens.

I wanted the Winchester Deluxe Trapper for years but waited too long and now they are no longer produced and very expensive when you find them.

I have a 12ga and have become less of a fan of them with better options available. But, I would go shotgun (12/20ga) over lever rifle. Depends on your situation.

1698698929896.jpeg

Howa Minis have a magazine and bottom metal problem. Which can be dealt with, but makes the howa mini end up costing well more that expected.

For basic home defense I would find a nice pump shotgun.

My inexpensive 12 ga Maverick 88 in a ShotLock has been a 100% effective deterrent to home invasions for several years now; keeps the alligators & elephants away, too. I'm not always carrying at home or near the 12 ga, so I have a couple of staged 9mm handguns to reduce separation anxiety.

A short barreled lever action carbine makes for a light , fast handling firearm.
With that said....
.357 and .44 Magnum carbines and ammo for 'em are expensive...and tough to find in stock , at least were I live.
.30-30 is one of my favorite cartridges and makes for dandy hunting and self defense round however....
I never thought I'd see the day when it wasn't commonly in stock...and when it is..it is also expensive.

A 12 or 20 gauge shotgun makes for a fine home defense firearm.
Right now mine is a Ithaca 37 with a 20 inch barrel....it does double duty as a foul weather grouse gun...
And a "What are you doing in my house at 3am " gun....just gotta vary the shot loading for the job at hand.

12 and 20 gauge ammo is commonly available as are shotguns chambered in the same.
Andy

Last Edited:
The commercially-available semi-auto rifles which do not have any evil features. Try Ruger's website.
this is something I just learned a few weeks ago , for example Ruger 10/22 semi auto is still being sold and is legal to buy and I believe some of the Ruger pistol carbines are still legal to buy , from how I understand it some semi auto rifles / carbines are still legal to buy as long as they do not have the evil parts
I saw a flowchart somewhere that broke down what is a go and what is a no go. It may have been on this site I'm not sure.

10/22 rifles are not banned because they are rimfire. Rimfire pistols are banned if they have evil features, just as a centerfire pistol would be. Some rifles without any evil features are banned by name, such as the New York versions of the M1A.

I admit that I get irritated when gun owners did nothing to help oppose these bills before they became law and then want other gun owners to do their research for them afterwards.

12 or 20 gauge shotgun. You can still get reliable versions of these inexpensively. Shotgun shells in 12 and 20 gauge are something that have been consistently available (thus far) during the ammunition famine. Buckshot rounds aren't absolutely necessary for home defense, birdshot rounds at close range are a good deterrent and you can still get boxes of 25 for $10.

this is something I just learned a few weeks ago , for example Ruger 10/22 semi auto is still being sold and is legal to buy and I believe some of the Ruger pistol carbines are still legal to buy , from how I understand it some semi auto rifles / carbines are still legal to buy as long as they do not have the evil parts
I saw a flowchart somewhere that broke down what is a go and what is a no go. It may have been on this site I'm not sure.
Courtesy of @ATCclears:

Link to JO JO Mentioned Flow Chart

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews