JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can't wait for people to blame their unreliable home made bolt actions on anyone but themselves
Meh
This is not much different than home built ARs and pistols.
There's always that ham-handed fellow that will break things and beech about anything.

Competition shooters that go through multiple barrels per season have been doing this for a while.

If I was going to build a bolt action, a Barrel nut system to adjust headspace is the route I would go. It is superior to actions that require pre-fit barrels or reaming. In a typical bolt action, the fit between the receiver and action can vary slightly. Todays machining is better but you are still at the mercy of the barrel and receiver manufactures quality control. Being able to set your headspace exactly where you want it is ideal. It also allows you to set your barrel head clearance for the particular sizing die you use if you are a hand loader.

If I was going to build a bolt action, a Barrel nut system to adjust headspace is the route I would go. It is superior to actions that require pre-fit barrels or reaming. In a typical bolt action, the fit between the receiver and action can vary slightly. Todays machining is better but you are still at the mercy of the barrel and receiver manufactures quality control. Being able to set your headspace exactly where you want it is ideal. It also allows you to set your barrel head clearance for the particular sizing die you use if you are a hand loader.
I disagree.
Each method has its pluses and minuses.

Here's an action that some may not have seen.
A Weatherby action that is based on Remington 700. Who-da thunk ?
Tenon thread pitch is 1-1/16″-16 so a "Remage" barrel system would work as well as 700 pattern triggers and stocks.
MSRP is $750 and street price may be less than that. Custom actions are averaging around $1200 these days.

A shop that many builders use. Honest pricing and old school "call to order"

Defiance Machine makes some of the nicest custom actions but they are very expensive as are most custom actions.
They do have a "Classic" model that is their lowest cost action coming in at $927 from one re-seller.
It is very similar to one of their $1400 actions.

Last Edited:
Here's an action that some may not have seen.
A Weatherby action that is based on Remington 700. Who-da thunk ?
Tenon thread pitch is 1-1/16″-16 so a "Remage" barrel system would work as well as 700 pattern triggers and stocks.
MSRP is $750 and street price may be less than that. Custom actions are averaging around $1200 these days.

A shop that many builders use. Honest pricing and old school "call to order"

Defiance Machine makes some of the nicest custom actions but they are very expensive as are most custom actions.
They do have a "Classic" model that is their lowest cost action coming in at $927 from one re-seller.
It is very similar to one of their $1400 actions.
My understanding is that the Deviant action is the only one that was intended to have a drop in barrel.

I still have an unturned .25 barrel blank that I'm going to turn into something as soon as I have my lathe put back together. I've was practicing on some raw rounds before moving the lathe and have the process together, just need to decide on what action size and then caliber I want.

It's nice to see they are offering a long action, this may be the receiver I use for my rifle. Leaning towards a .25-06 these days.

I can see how this would really be just the ticket for exactly nobody.
Yup. As a nobody, I've built three bolties and have everything on hand for two "switch barrel" rifles.
My understanding is that the Deviant action is the only one that was intended to have a drop in barrel.
Yes. Drop-in, meaning you can order the barrel and it will come threaded, chambered and shouldered for your premium action from the barrel shop. No more stupid nut.

My last four blanks, I sent to the Smith and he threaded, chambered and shouldered them for my actions.

Last Edited:
There are two ways of doing a "end user installed" barrel on a bolt action rifle.
Shoulder and variable shoulder. The "pre-fit" label is used loosely for both.
Shoulder type has the barrel threading looking like a conventional job but the start of the threading and location of the shoulder is very precise. These have to be mated to a receiver that is done the same way.
Defiance machine is adding models to their "guaranteed pre-fit" list and other custom action makers are jumping on board with their own pre-fit systems.

The variable shoulder (shoulderless) system is essentially the Savage system and it uses a barrel nut, which in effect is a jam nut that controls headspace.
Two basic thread pitches are used for this, Savage small shank 1.055" x 20 TPI and Remington 1-1/16" x 16 TPI
The Remington system is part Savage and part Remington hence the moniker "Remage"

There is also a large shank Savage but most of the home build industry has settled on small shank Savage.
The short video I posted in the OP explains both types of pre-fits.

There are two ways of doing a "end user installed" barrel on a bolt action rifle.
Shoulder and variable shoulder. The "pre-fit" label is used loosely for both.
Shoulder type has the barrel threading looking like a conventional job but the start of the threading and location of the shoulder is very precise. These have to be mated to a receiver that is done the same way.
Defiance machine is adding models to their "guaranteed pre-fit" list and other custom action makers are jumping on board with their own pre-fit systems.

The variable shoulder (shoulderless) system is essentially the Savage system and it uses a barrel nut, which in effect is a jam nut that controls headspace.
Two basic thread pitches are used for this, Savage small shank 1.055" x 20 TPI and Remington 1-1/16" x 16 TPI
The Remington system is part Savage and part Remington hence the moniker "Remage"

There is also a large shank Savage but most of the home build industry has settled on small shank Savage.
The short video I posted in the OP explains both types of pre-fits.
My knowledge is limited, and is based on a conversation with GA Precision. They said that the Defiance is the only one where they would turn a barrel without having the receiver in hand as it was intended to be that way. I have two classic actions and I was contemplating on ordering a second 300PRC barrel at the same time as my build.

I still have an unturned .25 barrel blank that I'm going to turn into something as soon as I have my lathe put back together. I've was practicing on some raw rounds before moving the lathe and have the process together, just need to decide on what action size and then caliber I want.

It's nice to see they are offering a long action, this may be the receiver I use for my rifle. Leaning towards a .25-06 these days.
I found an old Remington 700 long action rifle and used it for a donor.
You can save some money that way but then there is that siren's song coming from those pretty Defiance actions echoing in the forest.

My knowledge is limited, and is based on a conversation with GA Precision. They said that the Defiance is the only one where they would turn a barrel without having the receiver in hand as it was intended to be that way. I have two classic actions and I was contemplating on ordering a second 300PRC barrel at the same time as my build.
GA Precision is a top shelf outfit, no doubt.
I don't blame them for being leery about the "pre-fit game" because with just a tiny slip up the barrel won't headspace properly. Then back to the lathe for fine tuning.
I saw on the Defiance website that their new Classic action is a "guaranteed pre-fit" as long as you use the supplied barrel nut.

Last Edited:
I dig the whole prefit concept, being able to swap barrels. And bolts at least with the Zermatt actions. I am not sure I would trust any random person to assemble things correctly though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top