JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although the Ruger Mini 14 is not on the banned list, I believe it will be difficult to find a store or FFL that would take a chance on selling or transferring it.
Just looked at my favorite distributor (Davidson's) and for now (this could change fast) its a no problem. Looked at a Ranch version and my zip and within 25 miles of me it offered me 9 FFL's ready to take my money. Price was about $1100 out the door.

I would have to look this up, but I don't know of such a restriction for a lever action rifle.
Pretty simple answer... By definition, a lever action is not a semi-automatic, and hence, is not part of the semi-automatic rifle ban.

Last Edited:
I was curious about out-of-state suppliers so put one into a budsgunshop cart. Plenty of ffl's listed for 99301(WA) . Only caveat was a popup stating they would remove the 20 round mags prior to shipping.

mini.png

I was curious about out-of-state suppliers so put one into a budsgunshop cart. Plenty of ffl's listed for 99301(WA) . Only caveat was a popup stating they would remove the 20 round mags prior to shipping.

View attachment 1753777
I don't have a Mini-14, so correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know the answer for certain. But isn't the Mini-14 mag proprietary to the firearm? You can't just throw in NATO 5.56 x 45 STANAG 4179 mags into the gun, can you?

Last Edited:
They're not proprietary to Ruger, but you would have to shell out $30 for a 10 round mag (to be legal in WA)...spendy.
What I'm trying to say is the magazine is proprietary to the gun (not the manufacturer). It's my understanding that AR-15/M-4/M-16 magazines will not fit in a Mini-14. Is that accurate?

That's why I was curious why you said he couldn't import a lever action into Washington.
I went all the way back up the thread and I read more carefully this time. I see what you're saying. Yeah, I missed the part about he was looking at a lever action in SC and the Palmetto store said they wouldn't sell it to him cuz he's a WA resident. Severe lack of reading comprehension on my part. My bad...

Last Edited:
What I'm trying to say is the magazine is proprietary to the gun (not the manufacturer). It's my understanding that AR-15/M-4/M-16 magazines will not fit in a Mini-14. Is that accurate?
Correct..ar-15 stanag's will not fit a ruger mini-14. And also..to be clearer on my own response above, I included a link to a factory Ruger 10 round magazine, however you can buy non factory Ruger Mini magazines..promag for example. And they're a bit cheaper. Still not nearly as inexpensive as AR platform mags though. There is certainly a price hit when it comes to Mini's.

Someone used to make a combo min-14/AR STANAG abomination. A buddy I have has one. I don't think it ever worked, but it does sorta slot in to both platforms (I had to check online to make sure I remember this all correctly, it seems these were around circa 2004 ish. I may still be incorrect on the details).

Someone used to make a combo min-14/AR STANAG abomination. A buddy I have has one. I don't think it ever worked, but it does sorta slot in to both platforms (I had to check online to make sure I remember this all correctly, it seems these were around circa 2004 ish. I may still be incorrect on the details).
Lol..abomination's the perfect word for that.

Yep its a different mag. Back when the Mini was half what an AR cost the damn mags were one of the problems. Bill Sr had cut off sales of the 20 round mags to the peons. He had allowed it for a couple years then cut it off. So LONG before the ban the factory 20 round were pricey. A LOT of after market was out there but, many of them were only good to make the rifle a jam O Matic. Some better made ones did work great but even those you had to test them well before depending on them.

Although the Ruger Mini 14 is not on the banned list, I believe it will be difficult to find a store or FFL that would take a chance on selling or transferring it.
At least most of them have something that could be pitched as a heat shield by an anally retentive prosecutor.

While many of these laws are really crap anyone who makes the choice to ignore them has to understand they are making adult choices that can come with adult consequences. "Made up law" is a nice way to put it but, if they get jammed up some black robe will show them the penalty is not made up, it is very real and painful. Again though adults get to make adult choices. :s0092:
Absolutely! It's a personal decision. As long as you know what the penalties are, you do you. I follow the laws, but if someone was responsible but decided, enough is enough and I will not give one more inch, I would respect that about them and I would never tell on him or her.
Some have nothing to lose and some do. I know a lot of brave men and women gave their lives to defend me and my rights…… our rights. I will never disrespect them by letting a mafia government crap all over the law of the land. Even Jesus lost his cool, chasing the money changers out of the temple, so I think it's okay to stand up for what is right….. it is my duty and obligation to stand up against evil.

So if you want to have an "illegal" MP5 SBR, more power to you. Wanna register that SBR? Go for it. At what point will we chose to no longer follow a criminal government? When they (government) goes back to Afghanistan and get every single weapon we left behind back, most of us don't wanna hear it….. the crap the ATF spews out for example.

The government wants to take away our 2A rights, but that goes against the constitution, and it is our obligation as United States Citizens to resist, pretty simple. Oh you don't want to? (You in general) better not complain when you end up in a re-education/concentration camp. Let us go up to a Jew in Israel and ask him or her how important is it to have firearms for personal defense.

Again, I follow the laws, I do not own illegal guns, by choice. Joe or Kate can chose what they wanna do.

When the family was forced out they just started making their own AR's, nice ones. So the cost to tool up to change the Mini would I have to guess, not something they want to invest in. At this point they are making both AR's and Minis.
Ousting the fam was an incredibly good business move. I know it got me back as a customer. I usually hate it when companies transition from privately/family held to fully public because investors/boards don't typically put long term goals and investments like quality and customer service before short term profit, but in this case that family can go piss off a bridge.

Ousting the fam was an incredibly good business move. I know it got me back as a customer. I usually hate it when companies transition from privately/family held to fully public because investors/boards don't typically put long term goals and investments like quality and customer service before short term profit, but in this case that family can go piss off a bridge.
I had no idea they had done it for a good while. I noticed all of a sudden them starting to offer some NICE stuff and had thought it was just because the old man had died. Then someone here explained the son was just as bad as Dad, but that the family had been bought out and forced out so no longer could control it. Then it made sense why they were suddenly making nice stuff they would not have been willing to offer to the general public.

I had no idea they had done it for a good while. I noticed all of a sudden them starting to offer some NICE stuff and had thought it was just because the old man had died. Then someone here explained the son was just as bad as Dad, but that the family had been bought out and forced out so no longer could control it. Then it made sense why they were suddenly making nice stuff they would not have been willing to offer to the general public.
Yeah, they garnered a ton of ill will in our community. Couple that with the fact that they were willfully not competing with other companies on product offerings and their last few years under family control were really rough. They basically got forced out because their decision making damaged their financial control and it became easier for saner heads to buy them out. Could not have happened at a better time as it save an iconic brand.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top