JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm voting for abrasive cutoff blade on a battery powered angle grinder. Will cut through any chain or pad lock. Sawsalls and toothed circular saw blades can have the teeth sheared off on hardened metals. Abrasive thin disc will do better.

And bring a new padlock and chain with you, to lock the forest gate behind you. So as to slow down anyone else with your idea of hiding out up there. And would be a visual indicator if you saw your lock cut, to know someone else was in your area.

I'm voting for abrasive cutoff blade on a battery powered angle grinder. Will cut through any chain or pad lock. Sawsalls and toothed circular saw blades can have the teeth sheared off on hardened metals. Abrasive thin disc will do better.

And bring a new padlock and chain with you, to lock the forest gate behind you. So as to slow down anyone else with your idea of hiding out up there. And would be a visual indicator if you saw your lock cut, to know someone else was in your area.
A chain/padlock would be a vulnerable point - IF they could be accessed. For that reason many of the gates put covers over the padlocks and don't use chains.

Last Edited:
A chain/padlock would be a vulnerable point - IF they could be accessed. For that reason many of the gates put covers over the padlocks and don't use chains.
That is true. The lock is usually down in a tube, or has a welded cover around it, so it can't be accessed with bolt cutters.
Might just have to sawzall or cutoff wheel through the gate arm where it attaches.

Might just have to sawzall or cutoff wheel through the gate arm where it attaches.
Which is why I was asking about that capability, which would even better on a chain or a padlock.

I've been in the woods enough to know what the gates are like, and most have a box/cover/etc. around the padlocks because the padlocks are easily defeated.

10 pages Long and we haven't gotten through the gate yet?

More ideas than I imagined

Exactly ….
And tannerite will turn it into a pipe bomb

That is true. The lock is usually down in a tube, or has a welded cover around it, so it can't be accessed with bolt cutters.
You could, but the easiest way would be the circular saw with one of the new steel cutting blades.
And I've used all manner of Sawzall blades and angle grinders with cut-off wheels.

SHTF Scenario: It is the zombie apocalypse. WROL. You are running away (in a vehicle) for your life. Time is an issue. You encounter a forest road gate:

View attachment 1771372

Your vehicle cannot get around it. You absolutely need to get past that gate with your vehicle, its contents and passengers. You do not care about law enforcement/etc.

What relatively portable cutting device do you use?

Portable band saw?

I am disinclined to carry a cutting torch.
Last one I had to open I used my bolt cutter

Nice idea, but one small problem.
Many of the gate locks are *shielded.

*Shielded - the lock is inside a protective shield made from square or round tube.
No direct (line of sight) access to the lock.
This is true. But my experience is BLM uses multi-locks allot. This is done so city, county, state, Fed access all have different keys.
Yes some are shielded. But most are multi-agency locks. Guess depends how close to the population the gate is. You see the more fancy ones near highways. But up in BLM they are simple. They have to be for fire access etc. In California. The same keycode lock was used for the entire state access. So if one got, a key they could access most state property. Thats California for you. Here they have allot of multilocks.

This is true. But my experience is BLM uses multi-locks allot. This is done so city, county, state, Fed access all have different keys.
Yes some are shielded. But most are multi-agency locks. Guess depends how close to the population the gate is. You see the more fancy ones near highways. But up in BLM they are simple. They have to be for fire access etc. In California. The same keycode lock was used for the entire state access. So if one got, a key they could access most state property. Thats California for you. Here they have allot of multilocks.
That's a padlock daisy chain system.
We do that on jobsites.
You can't believe how many grown men don't know what it is and will lock everyone else out.

The worst was the Nutter oiler. An oiler services all the iron (dozers, excavators) on the job often after hours.
This guy would leave the Nutter lock working and everyone else's would be hanging useless on the tag end.
What made it worse was that he was doing this all over the Portland-Vancouver area.

Wouldn't a band saw be faster?
At my work I've had to remove abandoned bikes locked to random telephone posts and street signs. Even those kryponite style u locks only took about 10 seconds if that to cut off with a cordless angle grinder w/ a cutting wheel. That was through both sides of the U.
Screenshot_20231202_192955.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top